Calculating calories for fermented food?

Options
My mom made some pickled carrots and daikon radish mixed with 1 cup of sugar, 2.5 cups of vinegar, 2 cups of water, and salt. If I were to eat 1 cup of the pickled carrots and daikon, how would I calculate the calorie amount since I'm not technically eating/drinking a whole cup of the liquid mixture (which would be around 200 calories per cup)?

How much of the sugar and vinegar would actually be soaked up by the vegetables for it to "count" in the caloric amount?

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I'd do it the quick and dirty (and imprecise) way...
    I'd look up similar pickled vegetables calories and go with that.

To be more precise, you could divide the amount of vinegar by servings in the jar or just estimate - for example, 2 teaspoons of vinegar per serving. Since there are 48 tsp in a cup, that would be about 1/24 of a cup. 200 / 24 = 8.33 calories (so, um, like 9?) and add it to your foods.
  • nomnomgoodies
    nomnomgoodies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! Would it really be that little? And here I was thinking it could be like 100 calories for just 1 cup of vegetables!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you're eating of the pickled veges.

If its 1 cup, then I guess I'd figure about 1/8 - 1/4 cup... So that's more like 25 - 50 calories.
    But even that isn't much when you're looking at over 1200 calories per day.

3/4 cup of my awesome pickled red cabbage is 70 calories total. That's with probably more vinegar, same sugar, less water.

Yours should figure about that or less.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    to be accurate, you would enter each item into the recipe maker, then weigh the lot and then you'd weigh your portion to calculate exactly what you are having