About Dieting and Dieting+Exercising

Options
Is there any difference between Dieting and Dieting plus exercising. For example, If I eat 1300 kcal a day, will I get the same results as if eat 1800 kcal and then burn 500 kcal from it with exercising. The net calories will be the same, so basically I would like to know if there's any advantages in exercising or the results are just the same.

Thank you... and sorry for any grammar mistakes.

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    With exercise, I can basically eat what I want and not feel deprived, which makes this so much easier. Plus, exercise has many benefits unrelated to weight loss.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Exercising will give you fitness muscle tone and help your cardiovascular health. Dieting will help you lose weight.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you exercise to lose weight, you are going down the wrong road...you should do it out of enjoyment. That said, that math doesnt lie:

Diet: 1800 calories/day
    Diet and Exercise: 2800calories/day (1000 calories exercise a day, for example)

1000 calories deficit x 7 days = 7000 calories = 2 lbs of fat lost....
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, the results will be the same. For body composition (fat and muscle content), the results will drastically differ, particularly if you incorporate strength training. Strength training will help you maintain the muscle mass you already have, helping more of your weight loss come from fat than if you did not strength train. This will result in a better ending physique. Cardiovascular exercise is excellent for your heart, and in my experience is a great mood enhancer, so you should do that as well. As they say, diet to look good in clothes, exercise to look good naked.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Well exercising will increase your metabolism with time. What will make you burn more cals and lose fat more easy. It's basically just upping your maintenance. So you can ate more, not only from calories burned but cos your metabolism is higher. It is also very healthy for your health - heart, blood pressure, sugar sensitivity, etc. If you work out you will most likely feel more energetic all through the day than if you would not. What's the point of looking like a supermodel if you feel tired all day, or even if you feel good, you could feel a lot better if you would want to. Also it will make you look better. You can lose fat and be skinny but still would not look toned and fit.
  • zandhmom75
    zandhmom75 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think if you exercise plus eat good food, you will feel much, much better! They say weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise, but when I skimp on the element of exercise, I don't feel as strong, energetic, and happy. Exercise is huge! Even 15-20 minutes a day makes a difference. Cheers!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, the results will be the same. For body composition (fat and muscle content), the results will drastically differ, particularly if you incorporate strength training. Strength training will help you maintain the muscle mass you already have, helping more of your weight loss come from fat than if you did not strength train. This will result in a better ending physique. Cardiovascular exercise is excellent for your heart, and in my experience is a great mood enhancer, so you should do that as well. As they say, diet to look good in clothes, exercise to look good naked.

Basically what she said ^
  • IdsFknTaken
    Options
    On the flip side, exercise can increase appetite and requires willpower (which may be better reserved for diet if you're struggling). Some exercise is better than none of course, particularly a balance of weight training and cardio.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If you exercise to lose weight, you are going down the wrong road...

And yet somehow, I've lost a significant amount of weight, and without counting calories. The self-righteous sentiment that weight loss has nothing to do with exercise is all over this site, but whatever, it works for me.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    one of the issues is that it is actually not that easy to determine how many calories you have burnt unless you have a HRM with a chest strap.

another can be observed in most gyms with a café: burning 300 cals in exercise increases the appetite to the point that that piece of cheesecake for 600 can't be resisted
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Suggestion. Why dont you just do exercise because it is enjoyable, rather than it being a requirement so you can eat more? (maybe you do and I am making a bad assumption)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you exercise to lose weight, you are going down the wrong road...

And yet somehow, I've lost a significant amount of weight, and without counting calories. The self-righteous sentiment that weight loss has nothing to do with exercise is all over this site, but whatever, it works for me.
    Just because you don't 'count calories' does not mean you don't control your calorie intake
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    most people overestimate what they burn. Find your TDEE and subtract 20% then eat this every day.
  • Morryarty
    Options
    Your Body did not evolve to sit all day, live that life and you end up in all kinds of a mess
  • PatriciaPsykes
    Options
    Thank you guys. I used to exercise, I stopped because I didn't like to eat calories back, I would feel full. Think I'll start to exercise again and I actually enjoy workouts.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    If you are not exercising you are doing yourself a disservice. If you don't want to eat all of the exercise calories back, don't. But DO workout. Working out is important for bone density, getting a good night's sleep, heart health, being able to run away in case zombies attack, etc. Humans are animals too, we need exercise.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I didn't exercise while trying to lose weight and it worked out fine for me. To each their own :drinker:
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Is there any difference between Dieting and Dieting plus exercising. For example, If I eat 1300 kcal a day, will I get the same results as if eat 1800 kcal and then burn 500 kcal from it with exercising. The net calories will be the same, so basically I would like to know if there's any advantages in exercising or the results are just the same.

Thank you... and sorry for any grammar mistakes.

Several folks have already confirmed that there is no difference in the outcome if the numbers are as you posted. But consider a couple of other things:

1. It is difficult to accurately assess how many calories you burn through exercise -- and it is therefore easy to assume you are burning a lot more than you are (i.e., that 500 cals of exercise might in reality be 250 cals).

2. If you don't actually enjoy exercising, then dragging yourself into an unpleasant task at the same time you are trying to stick to a calorie deficit might be a lot tougher than just hitting your deficit.

That said, I enjoy exercise, and part of this change is driven by vanity for me, so I got over my inherent laziness and have been working out a fair bit. Wouldn't have done so if I really hated it though - would have been setting myself up for failure.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If you exercise to lose weight, you are going down the wrong road

Talking utter cr@p of course.