How to handle holiday food

Options
I'm looking for any tips or help with trying to control my eating when there are TONS of treats around. My husband made cookies last night and I ended up eating 4 of them which added up to 520 calories, not to mention the amount of sugar. I've been doing very well with the weight loss and really don't want to have a set back just because I can't control myself around a cookie. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    How do I handle holiday food?
    Much the same way I handle all other foods.

Drink wine
    Put one scoop off food I prefer onto my plate
    Drink wine
    Take it to my seat
    Drink wine
    Consume food.
    Drink wine
    Eat dessert
    Have coffee
  • PaulaRicco
    PaulaRicco Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No doubt holidays are tough when it co0mes to food - I've had a few moments these past two weeks that I wish I could just fast forward to January 1st.

Firstly, don't skip your work outs. I know for me, the days I begin with an early morning workout, I'm more likely to make healthy food choices. Plus, if you do slip up and have a treat, you've got some wiggle room with your calories.

Secondly, try to plan ahead. If you're going to a party, eat something healthy (and filling) before hand. This can help take the edge off. At the party, don't stand next to the food table. Take a plate, have some, and then walk away.

Treats in the house are tough, especially when they are something really special( like your husband's cookies!) When I bake for the holidays, I limit it to only a few of our favorite things. Then I pack them all up so they stay fresh, and I store them on the back porch. I find that if they're not in the house with us, they might still call our name, but just not so loudly!

Lastly, before I eat something I know I shouldn't, I remind myself "You'll have this again. It'll be here another time." I fell like around the holidays, there are a lot of "special" foods around that we don't have all the time. A lot of times, my initial reaction is to feel like I need to get as much of it as I possibly can. But, in reality, there will always be another chance to eat something delicious. Sometimes stripping the emotional connection away from the food, you realize that it really is just food!

Good luck, I hope this helps!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I handle alcohol by drinking 8 ounces of water between each drink. If you tell yourself that you have to have a glass of water between each cookie it may slow you down and help you really enjoy eating only one or two cookies instead of 4.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am eating to maintenance for 2 weeks....
  • lmmenard78
    lmmenard78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the GREAT tips!! I did make my husband take the cookies to work today so they're not in the house :)
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    October through December are my maintenance/bulking months. Too much food to want to even try to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I don't need to eat 20 cookies...I have learned to have a cookie and walk away. That said, trying to lose weight this time of year is a *****...I easily maintain, but trying to cut from Oct through Dec is pretty rough. Not just holiday food either....just in general, winter foods tend to be heartier and heavier and I love winter seasonal craft beers...

I just naturally eat a lot lighter in the spring and summer months so I tend to cut some fat just naturally...plus I'm out on my bike more, etc.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I plan on going into a food coma on Christmas Day and I'm not logging, screw it. I'll be back on track the next day.

I have a few get-togethers leading up to Christmas and around New Year's. I plan on working out those days and just fitting the extra calories into my day.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have been bringing a bag of carrots and celery (after attending a Jazzercize party with no veggies !?!) as well as some other lo-cal treats to holiday parties (yogurt is a poor sub for tiramasu but you do what you have to do).
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Great question! I thought I would be able to handle it yesterday and I didn't. I had one of three Christmas get togethers with family and it didn't go well. As soon as I got there people told me I looked great...and then they said "Here, try this....try that....". So, I ended up eating way more than I wanted and as soon as I had something sugary...I wanted something else sugary. It was just a downward spiral. I was extremely sick to my stomach driving home. I hurt so bad. I was beating myself up about my poor willpower. I woke up today and said "It just isn't worth it". It isn't. I work so hard almost every day. It isn't worth it to relax and enjoy myself LIKE THAT. I honestly would rather deal with hunger pangs then I would with overeating. I'm a food-a-holic--and I know that about myself.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll make healthier treats to share and/or bring a healthy snack with me. I also make sure I only eat treats that I'm sure will delicious, so I usually avoid store-bought cookies and opt for homemade chocolate cake (as an example). Sweets are my weakness, so I'm usually able to select the healthier stuff for my meal, as long as it's offered, and save calories for dessert. I still log and eat at maintenance.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, I ran 10 miles yesterday to make up for all the cookies I ate...my advice is to include the treats within your daily calories. The holidays will be over soon enough. Enjoy them, strive to maintain, and get back to losing after the first of the year. This is my third year on MFP. The first year, I gained 2.5 lbs over the holidays. The second year, I lost 1.5 lbs. This year, I'll likely have a small gain again. It's not the end of the world.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    How do I handle holiday food?
    Much the same way I handle all other foods.

Drink wine
    Put one scoop off food I prefer onto my plate
    Drink wine
    Take it to my seat
    Drink wine
    Consume food.
    Drink wine
    Eat dessert
    Have coffee

This is the best tip. :laugh:

But seriously, I'd say eat only what you truly love the most. Stop eating when you're full.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is most likely going to happen during the holidays, but eating smaller portions of everything will definitely help. I find that I only gain a few lbs instead of 5 - 10 lbs if I watch portions.

I've reached my goal for the year and plan to enjoy Christmas week with no worries of calories! After New Year's, I will get that weight back off and then be good to go. That is how I'm personally doing it this year.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The problem with the holidays isn't the day itself, but all the days around it filled with extra goodies and food! I totally get you on that one, particularly since my roommate loves to bake. However, she's diabetic and so she expects me to eat everything! We definitely had a discussion about that.

The main way I'm handling it is trying for controlled treats. If I know I want to eat something, like that cookie which is probably around 150-200 calories if it's like the cookies we've been making, I'll try to cut a few calories from each part of the rest of my day. A little at breakfast, lunch, and my snacks. Then I'll eat the goodie as dessert at dinner. By planning ahead like that you get the satisfaction of knowing you worked hard for that cookie, plus it tastes even better because you've been waiting all day for it. Just make sure to leave the rest in another room, and if the taste lingering on your tongue makes you want another, grab a glass of water or a piece of gum.

And don't forget to relax and enjoy over the actual holidays. A day or two or three of enjoying yourself won't undo the hard work as long as you get back on track! And of all the holidays, after Christmas is probably the easiest to get back on track after because of the extra boost of New Year resolutions.
  • fitcanpro
    Options
    If you keep your diet clean and workout the majority of the time the few days during the holidays where you cheat shouldn't make a difference. I might see a 1 or 2 pound difference but the day after a binge I make up for it by punishing my body in the gym.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    This is a great thread..I love to bake..and this weekend was the baking weekend to fill up goodie boxes for friends..I LOVE Gingerbread..I mean LOVE LOVE LOVE it..and I endulged..:(..about 4 of them..and some choc chips..

I felt sicker then a dog..literally..the rest of the day. I was thinking about it today driving to work..and think the intense emotional connect I FEEL to Gingerbread (reminds me of childhood) and the fact you dont have it around but once a year made my willpower crumble yesterday.

I usually make extra cookies to keep in the house for my son and husband..I think I can keep away from the snickerdoodles and choc chips (espc because they prefer milk choc chips..not semi sweet ones!)..but all the gingerbread got boxed up..I even boxed some up to send to my brother in NJ..better I share it then keep it in the house.
  • Iconx15
    Options
    Here's a trick I use when offered food
    I look left and then I look right
    And Repeat
    Always works^
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    I got some good tips when I was wondering how to control myself at breakfast buffets on vacation.

1. Fill up with soup or salad first. Then have some of the more calorific stuff.
    2. Keep asking yourself, "Am I really enjoying this?". If the answer is yes, by all means continue. Don't gorge on stuff just because it is available.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm just looking to maintain right now. And I'm keeping the workouts going.