I haven't been getting much responds, Would like some help

Options
Exercise and meal plans(good foods to eat and ones to avoid)..I need some suggestions on which and most helpful exercises to help lose 50 lbs. For anyone that has lost 25-50lbs how did it take you to lose? Any help would be great, Thanks

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Eat less.
    Move more.
    Lose weight.

Don't over complicate it.. and read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, but at a deficit. Probably not what you want to hear, but it's what works for me.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Here is my advice! Choose a calorie amount and stick to it. Exercise can be as simple as walking. I set a goal to walk 15,000+ steps/day. I lost weight just by tracking my calories and walking every day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit is going to make you lose 50 pounds, not exercise...

exercise is just a way to accomplish certain health goals like - endurance running, body composition, over all health and fitness, etc...

If you want to lose and look great, then I would say calorie deficit + compound movements three days a week total body + about two days of cardio...

after you drop that 50 pounds you can re adjust your workout for new goals..
  • scwilson38
    scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Zumba, walking and changing my eating habits. Eating more fruits and veggies, changing to turkey ground meat, fish and chicken. Drinking lots and lots of water.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    I lost 60# by cutting way back on carbs. But I have high (like off the chart) triglycerides as well so the doctor was all for cutting back on carbs. Said he'd rather see me eat a steak than pasta. So we're all different.

The thing that I've seen many people say on MFP is that you need to make a significant change in what you eat to get the weight loss going. Drop the chocolate, cut the carbs, eat only veg for two of three meals, eat celery for a snack, something. But (there's always a catch) what works for others won't work for you so keep experimenting. If you aren't loosing weight after two weeks try something else.

There have been a bunch of papers in "The Economist" lately that say that the bacteria in a person's digestive system have a lot to do with our well being and weight in general. You might try different yogurts and other "pro-biotic" foods or supplements for a while. Once you get the good bacteria going they should displace any "bad" bacteria.

You have to be exercising as well. The low end of the exercise scale is 20 minutes 3 times a week. Exercise not only burns calories it increases your metabolism and changes your hormone levels. You have to do this. You'll feel a heck of a lot better too.

That's my $.02. Keep at it!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Any cardio, I do zumba on youtube which is fun and burns quite a lot of calories.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Exercise and meal plans(good foods to eat and ones to avoid)..I need some suggestions on which and most helpful exercises to help lose 50 lbs. For anyone that has lost 25-50lbs how did it take you to lose? Any help would be great, Thanks

most people here aren't following "meal plans" other than the ones they have figured out for themselves through research and trial and error. you may want to start by reading the posts at the top of the Getting Started forum:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/50200-getting-started

If you are looking for someone to specifically tell you what to eat and how much of it, I suggest you friend people with similar goals to yours who have open diaries so you can see how they eat. Don't expect anyone here to spoon feed you the information.
  • jelineee
    jelineee Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    well you know what they say...weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Try to eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables. I personally follow a vegan diet with emphasis on raw and it has given me so much energy! I remember when I was eating 100% raw I was losing weight very rapidly; even when I eat over my calorie limit I still lose weight (~2-3 lbs/week). Today is the first day back on raw after 3 weeks of cooked vegan.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I'm still a work in progress... obviously... but I've done it all before. The important thing for you to realize is: 1) this is a marathon, not a sprint. DON'T start things now that you can't live with for the rest of your life. What does that mean? Don't give up all the foods you like... because eventually you will miss them and you'll go back to your old ways. Let yourself have chips, pizza, chocolate, ice cream, pasta, whatever... SOMETIMES in small amounts. 2) calories are like currency... and cardio is your job to earn more calories (or money). You do cardio to earn more calories to eat. If you're already eating at a deficit (500 calories below your burn)... don't do cardio. Period. 3) Strength training is the best way to burn FAT and ensure that as the lbs come off... you don't look like someone that used to be fat. That may sound mean but its the god's honest truth. You see people that lost alot of weight... and they look flabby still... that's because they didn't do enough strength training.

Make better choices... live each day at a time. Don't beat yourself up for going a little over on your calories today... there's always tomorrow. Make one choice at a time and eventually you'll get there. A friend told me the other day... nothing tastes as good as being thin feels. I keep telling myself that.

As for food... try not to catagorize things as "bad foods". You want to keep a good relationship with food. But, try to incorporate more foods that will actually benefit you. Junk food is nothing but empty calories. Veggies, lean meats, whole grains, a little fruit... they all give you vitamins, protein, etc that your body needs. Stay away from stuff that doesn't help your body operate as much as possible. Good luck!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I lose weight quickly off running on my treadmill. Lots of cardio I would say. If wanting to build muscle or "tone up" then strength training exercises and weights.

Find out what your daily calories are and log them.

I would look around and see what others log as far as food. Can you give an ideal what healthy and nutritional foods have been effective for some. Based on your personal taste you can pick and choose.

Basically you got to do a little foot work. :)
  • icywindow
    icywindow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 40 lbs in about 9 months by cutting out things that my body doesn't really process well (dairy, wheat), eating lots more fruit and green things, drinking 3 quarts of water a day, buying a pair of running shoes and running for 45 min 4-5 times a week, and doing strength workouts 1-2 times a week. All of these things were built piece by piece, though - it's a lifestyle change.

Start by doing something small, and build on the momentum you get from that. Make it your hobby to invest in your health.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, but at a deficit. Probably not what you want to hear, but it's what works for me.

This. It sounds simple because it is. I eat whatever I want as long as it fits into my calories for the day. I try to eat lots of veggies because it means I get to eat more food. But I also eat pizza and ice cream. There are no good or bad foods. You just have to eat at a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight.

As far as exercise goes, I do whatever I like. Sometimes that means circuit training, sometimes that means yoga.

The best diet and exercise plan is one you can stick with for life. :smile:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069278-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

As far as dietary preferences or what to eat go, you will often see flame wars about who has the "Supreme diet" Paleo, clean, dirty, vegan, vegetarian, Atkins etc it is endless. I think my friend summed it up nicely when it comes to this debate...

This is a quote from a debate about Paleo but I think the reference to adherence is of utmost importance. (Thank you EvgeniZyntx)
    This touches an import point in weight loss. The psychological processes that lead to adherence and consistency are essential.
    We are social animals that adhere by association to common understood belief clusters. When that association is strong we will tend to adhere better to some basic principles. So belonging to the paleo tribe or the IIFYM tribe or cabbage soup cleanse tribe and supporting the tribe principles leads to better adherence. But at the end of the day, in terms of actual loss, the key foundational element is that there can not be weight loss without a calorie deficit. How you chose to go about that, and how it influences your long term adherence are actually more important that the science behind it (says the scientist).

Paleo is cool, it's an in-cult, has lots of structuring belief systems and fast initial results due to carbohydrate/water loss - much like Atkins, Dukan diets (they are less "in" now), Paleo is lower (if not necessarily low) carb than the standard American diet by what it excludes.
    Some of the tribes actually adhere to practices that are intrinsically unhealthy and fail to take a global, long term, if I may use the word "holistic" approach.
    Richard's post is on the money. Paleo can be fine and healthy. It isn't necessary. Consistency and a deficit are necessary. But of course I agree with him, I'm part of the IIFYM, Science (capital S), train for fitness, love to eat tribe. We have cookies and beer, do you? :laugh: :drinker:
    The link the quote came from...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1132695-weight-loss-with-paleo-diet
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I lose weight quickly off running on my treadmill. Lots of cardio I would say. If wanting to build muscle or "tone up" then strength training exercises and weights.

Find out what daily calories you need to lose weight and log them.

I would look around and see what others log as far as food. Can you give an ideal what healthy and nutritional foods have been effective for some. Based on your personal taste you can pick and choose.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Find out what your daily calories are and log them.

The problem with lots of cardio.. it tends to lead to lots of muscle loss too. Realistically, you want to lower your body fat %, which you accomplish most by doing a combination of weight training and cardio, as well as, a calorie deficit. But if your goal is lean and fit look (aka defined), then weight training is where you will see the greatest progress. Lets face it, I can show you may women who have gained weight and look better. For example, one of the best examples is staci in the below link. In the end, body composition plays a much greater role in your look that your weight does.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Welcome,

I'll respond. I have lost about 36 pounds in the last year and 48 in the last 2 years.

I try to eat some type of bread or starchy food with every meal with the exception of pasta which has a lot of calories and makes me hungrier. Try to eat some vegetables every day. veggies are nutrient rich and very low in calories. berries are also low in calories.

I could have lost the weight faster but want to keep it off this time.

You can message me or friend me if you like.

The boards are probably slow due to the holidays.
  • JessicaLSpindler
    Options
    It's actually very simple. I eat less bad foods and eat more veg, fruit, healthy fats, proteins, etc. I work out 5 days a week, 1 hour a day. I throw in some cardio, ab workouts, arm workouts, leg workouts. I've lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks. Just be consistent and you will see results.
  • lauracos79
    lauracos79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 40 lbs in about 9 months by cutting out things that my body doesn't really process well (dairy, wheat), eating lots more fruit and green things, drinking 3 quarts of water a day, buying a pair of running shoes and running for 45 min 4-5 times a week, and doing strength workouts 1-2 times a week. All of these things were built piece by piece, though - it's a lifestyle change.

Start by doing something small, and build on the momentum you get from that. Make it your hobby to invest in your health.

This has helped me too! Start small and build up. It's amazing what your body can do!
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I drink between 9-14 glasses of water a day. I exercise (bike, treadmill, elliptical, whatever) 5-6 days a week. I eat back most (sometimes all) of my exercise calories. I eat whatever I want, but I feel that a week of eating chicken breast and salad is going to go better than a week of eating lasagna and french bread. The two times my weightloss has stalled, I increased my calories and started losing again. It's also important to do some strength training to maintain muscle mass.