Catching Yourself Amid Cravings

Options
In the throes of temptation, what do you do or remind yourself in attempts to refocus?

Replies

• smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Wedding, skinny jeans, pooch, scale, vacation, sex.

Any combination of these words is usually enough to get me to put the cookie down or walk away from the cheese!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just go to the frig and eat a Klondike. But I just make sure it fits in my calories for the day. If I go over a bit, I will either exercise more or try to eat a bit less tomorrow. But then again, I eat a klondike almost every night, lol.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I'm craving.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If it fits my calories for the day, I have it. If it doesn't, I don't, and I find a way to work it in the next day so I can meet my craving without feeling all deprived and start that downward spiral of failure and binging and such that deprivation tends to lead me to. Sometimes though, I look at it, look at the calories, and the craving goes away and I realize that I love whatever it is but that calories just didn't seem worth it, I'd rather spend the calories on something else. Example - we did Burger King the other night, and I realized I just didn't want a burger and fries because it would use up all my remaining calories and didn't sound filling or satisfying, so I had a salad from there and then had a bag of popcorn with lots of melted butter, bacon salt, and parmesan/garlic popcorn topper instead. If the burger was the craving though, I would have had it instead!
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I will generally try to ignore it by doing some craft work, reading, games on the computer, etc. If that doesn't work, I give in and have some of what I was craving. If it is a sweet, I have a bag of pre-portioned treats and will have one of them. If it is popcorn though I am in trouble cuz that means lots of calories since the little bag of microwave popcorn just doesn't cut it. I make it fit in my calories as best as I can but if I go over, I try to eat a little lighter the next day to make up for it.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    we had a family gathering yesterday, the kind where every yummy thing you could imagine is set out on a huge buffet and left out for hours for you to pass by or pick through at will. I even sat at that table for awhile, cracking open some walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts and constantly reminding myself that I was making good decisions...maybe I at least burned a few more calories by having to crack open the nuts, and at least it kept my hands busy for a bit. The rest of the candies, chocolates and baked goodies continued to tempt me, but I resisted and I felt really good about that afterwards. I mean, I did indulge in a few, which I made room for in my macros, but I didn't go crazy. It feels good to have the control over the food and not the other way around!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If it fits my calories for the day, I have it. If it doesn't, I don't, and I find a way to work it in the next day so I can meet my craving without feeling all deprived and start that downward spiral of failure and binging and such that deprivation tends to lead me to. Sometimes though, I look at it, look at the calories, and the craving goes away and I realize that I love whatever it is but that calories just didn't seem worth it, I'd rather spend the calories on something else. Example - we did Burger King the other night, and I realized I just didn't want a burger and fries because it would use up all my remaining calories and didn't sound filling or satisfying, so I had a salad from there and then had a bag of popcorn with lots of melted butter, bacon salt, and parmesan/garlic popcorn topper instead. If the burger was the craving though, I would have had it instead!

^^ This. I've even done a variation of the visit to Burger King, but rather than get a salad, I had a Whopper Jr. and no fries.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    ^^ This. I've even done a variation of the visit to Burger King, but rather than get a salad, I had a Whopper Jr. and no fries.

Ditto. Or I'll get fries and no burger because that's what sounded good, and I'll add to it with what I've got at home that fits.

So OP -- it's all about making it work with your calories!

I know my mother is making pizzelles and bringing them over for Xmas (by request), and I frickin' love them. So I'm already planning...exercise a bit more this week and eat back a bit less of those calories, so by the 24th (the day we hold our Xmas), I have room for extra pizzelles <g>
  • Ottinger13
    Ottinger13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth. Usually that stops me from eating because no one wants to eat something after they have brushed their teeth
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I stop, relax myself and BREATH. I try and ride the waves of emotions that these temptations have on me and breath until I calm down. (a craving will only last about 10 mins or less). Hope this helps! :)
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I eat it.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    A herbal tea or a piece of fruit would do if I'm not really hungry. Otherwise I'd have it, log it, often regret it and try to do better the next day.... Still a work in progress.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If it's important that you eat it, perhaps eat some, slowly, and try not to finish it. Or, just give yourself a tiny bit to start with. Put it in a small bowl or plate. Give yourself some time, and maybe you've satiated your craving without over-eating.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Try to fill up on water, maybe have some fruit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends of the craving. If it's a big craving, I'll have it and try to fit it in my calories (once in a while, even if it can't possibly fit). If I don't want it that badly, I'll pass and save my calories for something I really want instead.
  • Nicole_gets_a_grip
    Options
    Depends what I'm craving but this evening instead of reaching for the haagen daas Belgian chocolate icecream that's in the freezer I had an Options Hot Chocolate for 38 calories and a Satsuma... it was as boring as it sounds and not a patch on the ice cream but it took the edge off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • missnelso04
    missnelso04 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a pinterest board with lots of pictures of awesome bodies that I could have if I work hard enough. I flip through that when I'm feeling discouraged or hangry/mangry.

In combination with this:

"I stop, relax myself and BREATH. I try and ride the waves of emotions that these temptations have on me and breath until I calm down. (a craving will only last about 10 mins or less). Hope this helps! :)"