How fast will I lose weight using an exercise bike

Options
I just bought an exercise bike and would like to know what's the maximum amount of weight it's possible to lose within a week? As in actual fat weight, not water weight. I'm thinking of maybe doing two 1 hour sessions a day on the bike. Would that be efficient?

My caloric intake is already pretty low at 1,200, so how many calories would I need to burn per day to lose fat as quickly as possible? I weigh 119 lbs and am 5'3

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an unhealthy combination of desires.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    One week? You will not lose anything noticeable.

The type of cardio exercise you do doesn't matter. You really don't even need to do much, if any, cardio. Weight loss is achieved by calorie deficit. Strength training will help you maintain muscle mass and increase bone density. Moderate amounts of cardio are good for health (think maybe 2 hours a week).

If you do add cardio, you should increase your caloric intake accordingly so as not to create too large a calorie deficit.

BTW, you should probably be eating more than 1200 calories a day considering you have very little wight to lose.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You are already at the low end of ideal weight for a small frame at your height. Why do you think you need to lose weight?
  • doIIparts
    Options
    You are already at the low end of ideal weight for a small frame at your height. Why do you think you need to lose weight?

I know I'm at a fairly low weight, but it's not really the numbers on the scale that bother me, more the amount of fat that's on me. You wouldn't guess from looking at me that I'm 119, I look at least 130.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    We don't support unhealthy eating plans nor unhealthy weight loss plans in general. How old are you?
  • jonnythan
    Options

I know I'm at a fairly low weight, but it's not really the numbers on the scale that bother me, more the amount of fat that's on me. You wouldn't guess from looking at me that I'm 119, I look at least 130.

The faster you lose weight, the larger the portion of muscle you lose and smaller the portion of fat you lose.

Therefore, you should be focusing on losing weight slowly so that most of the weight you lose is fat instead of muscle.
  • Levesque_7
    Options

mmmkay, we dont support that nonsense here
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Let's assume for the sake of it that what you are saying is true and you do not suffer from an ED, then ditch cardio and pick up weights. Eat more calories per day, and start weight lifting. Focus on getting high protein, whether you fill the rest with carbs or fat is mostly down to personal preference. This will result in gaining more muscle and reshaping your body.
  • jonnythan
    Options

... Wait, what? We don't "support" people wanting to lose fat on MFP? Huh?
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

If this is the case, you really want to be focusing on body recomposition, not weight loss. You should focus on resistance training (weight lifting, etc.) rather than cardio. That with a balanced diet should help.

This thread should help point you in a good direction: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jonnythan
    Options

After a while you start recognizing names. This poster has a history of posting with disordered diet/exercise/body dysmorphic questions.

Ah. I did try to look at posting history, but profile is private.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

We do, but we use discernment. Someone comes on here and asks if they ride an exercise bike for 2 hours a day while only eating 1200 calories, will they lose the fat they want to lose. All of this while being on the low end of a healthy weight.

If that doesn't ring danger bells in your head I don't know what to say to you. :ohwell:
  • jonnythan
    Options

We do, but we use discernment. Someone comes on here and asks if they ride an exercise bike for 2 hours a day while only eating 1200 calories, will they lose the fat they want to lose. All of this while being on the low end of a healthy weight.

If that doesn't ring danger bells in your head I don't know what to say to you. :ohwell:

Well sure, but to some degree it makes more sense to explain the problems with the plan, and how doing so won't help the person achieve their goals.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    What's your hurry? :huh:

If you want to lose weight quickly, start six months ago. :flowerforyou:
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    That seems really excessive and hard on your body, also you are already at a healthy weight for somebody your height. If you feel like you look heavier than you are, I would start toning up with weights, I personally don't think a person needs more than 45-60 minutes of cardio per day, it's toning your muscles that will make the biggest difference in how you appear.
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Forget the bike and pick up some weights. You need to get some muscle tone so your body looks better
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Forget the bike and pick up some weights. You need to get some muscle tone so your body looks better

Forget the bike and the weights and put down the pound cake. The easiest way to burn calories is to not eat them in the first place. Of course, starving yourself is a pretty bad idea, so maybe adjust your timeline so that it isn't literally insane/unrealistic. Being a skinny invalid is kinda overrated, as is being a skinny corpse. :tongue:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

After a while you start recognizing names. This poster has a history of posting with disordered diet/exercise/body dysmorphic questions.

Sadly this is true
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Forget the bike and the weights and put down the pound cake. The easiest way to burn calories is to not eat them in the first place. Of course, starving yourself is a pretty bad idea, so maybe adjust your timeline so that it isn't literally insane/unrealistic. Being a skinny invalid is kinda overrated, as is being a skinny corpse. :tongue:

OP needs to maintain her current weight (or even possibly increase it) while decreasing body fat, not decrease her weight.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    OP needs to maintain her current weight (or even possibly increase it)

Why?