Working through exhaustion

Options
Does anyone else have the problem of trying to get motivated when you're exhausted?
I only slept 4 hours last night (and did not have a restful night of sleep the night before either), and I don't know how I'll survive a full day at work, then a 60 minute Zumba class.

What would you do? Would you go home and rest, then do a workout at home? Would you suck it up and just go anyways? Is it healthy to work out (especially a high cardio workout like Zumba), when your body is physically exhausted?

Replies

• mpallen06
    mpallen06 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    With two small children at home i often find myself in the same situation. Its so hard to find motivation when you can barely keep your eyes open....I try my best to power through it but its so hard. Any motivational tips out there!
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I find if I go home and rest that I will not go to the gym. Just suck it up and go. Once you get started you will be ok and maybe you will sleep better tonight.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Have some coffee and go ahead and do it.

It may not be your best workout but it's better than skipping it and it might just help you sleep better tonight.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I think most of us just power through it. I tried to keep my workouts interesting and not do the same old thing over and over again, seems to keep me motivated that way. I also get charged up reading through the forum and going on pinterest and browsing their health and fitness forum...revs me up!! Sometimes you do have to sit back and ask yourself is it time for a rest day. Rest days are important for progress too. I don't know what your current workout schedule is but if you've been hitting it hard everyday and truly feel exhausted it might be time for a rest and recovery day.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat today. I haven't been sleeping well. I'm needing toothpicks to keep my eyes open today. My goal was to get up this morning at 4:45 and go to the gym. Instead I slept until 6, so now I have to go after work. I'm dreading it, but hoping it makes me feel better and sleep better.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I'm not too exhausted; I do "work out" every day by walking to work, staying active with chores at home, and fitting in mini workouts when I can in my room (like using my bed to do leg lifts, or squats to music).

Zumba is my one cardio-crazy workout of the week. It also has been making my heart problem (tachycardia) go nuts when I go. I think being exhausted may be a trigger for it, now that I'm really thinking about it.

I think I will take all this advice into consideration another day. I just feel like I need a power nap before doing any more physical activity today! ): Maybe one of my mini workouts is in order tonight.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm not too exhausted; I do "work out" every day by walking to work, staying active with chores at home, and fitting in mini workouts when I can in my room (like using my bed to do leg lifts, or squats to music).

Zumba is my one cardio-crazy workout of the week. It also has been making my heart problem (tachycardia) go nuts when I go. I think being exhausted may be a trigger for it, now that I'm really thinking about it.

I think I will take all this advice into consideration another day. I just feel like I need a power nap before doing any more physical activity today! ): Maybe one of my mini workouts is in order tonight.

Sounds like a plan!! There are a ton of low impact workouts free on youtube if you're looking for something light. I love Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith TV. Or....hey take a nap!! Sometimes we all need one!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Proper training has two equally balanced components: work and rest. If you are already in the hole on one, doing more of the other isn't going to make you better.
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me of what my 'issue' is as well. Like others said, just power through it. Easier said than done right? I notice I'm typing on here now when I should've hit the gym an hour ago. I blame my resistance to working 12hr shiftwork and I have to go in another 2hrs.

So.......I'll leave to exercise RIGHT NOW. Power'ring through! Good luck.

**I really don't feel like going btw** I feel your pain....
  • cynnamon93
    Options
    I think if you're tired often you should consider having "cheat" rest days so that you can muster up the energy to work out the other days. One day wont throw you off track. :)
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I push through when I am tired, but if the eyes aren't staying open I sometimes call it a rest day. If you are too exhausted the workout isn't any good and your body sometimes need the rest more than it does the workout.

FYI, this is from experience pushing it and barely being able to make it to the end of class because I was so sleepy. Not even physically tired, just really sleepy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Proper training has two equally balanced components: work and rest. If you are already in the hole on one, doing more of the other isn't going to make you better.

pretty on point.

I have a bad habit of running myself ragged- and sometimes- you really REALLY just need a day to sleep in or do nothing. Going hard 6-7 days a week isn't' good- especially if you have a full time job and other things going on- sometimes you just need that extra time.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    /thread
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    I don't take any classes, so I just drop my planned routine and do something else instead, something lighter. I find that once I'm in the gym, I'm not as tired as I thought I was, so I can still do some light lifting and/or running.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options

pretty on point.

I have a bad habit of running myself ragged- and sometimes- you really REALLY just need a day to sleep in or do nothing. Going hard 6-7 days a week isn't' good- especially if you have a full time job and other things going on- sometimes you just need that extra time.

I've always heard that exercise gives you energy. So, if you are tired shouldn't you exercise?
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

This is one of many reasons why we are friends. Four hours of sleep is not enough. Get proper rest then work out.