GETTING STARTED 200 + TO LOOSE

Options
I am a little over whelmed with all of this I have a 2 month old baby and I weigh over 400 lbs. WOuld doing fast paced dance arobics for 30 mins or more with weight lifting do me any good, Ive tried watching work out videos I cant keep up and im to embarassed to go to a gym i.d have a anxiety attack. Also planning on portion control and cutting back alot on carbs.If you have any tips for getting started Id love to hear them.

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Any type of activity would help. Don't feel bad if you can't keep up with videos. You should have seen me do Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred for the first time... Weight lifting is very beneficial and helps you lower body fat percentage. As far as food, try to stick to your calorie goals and stay accurate with your measurements. Eating food high in protein is a good idea when trying to repair and maintain your lean muscle. You can do it!
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Awwww...a new baby! I LOVE IT!! Listen, anything you can do to move more and eat the correct kinds of foods, is a good thing. You have a little one, so time will be challenging. Why don't you start with drinking at least 64 oz of water a day, and doing some aerobics when you can. Try that for a couple of weeks and then begin to incorporate a meal plan that involves healthy choices! You've made the first step by reaching out, which is a MAJOR step! Kudos to you!
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Be careful.
    Talk with your doctor before starting anything. With this much weight, there could be other factors that come into consideration: heart, joints, endurance, etc.
    Don't try to take it all off at one time. You didn't put it on in a week, it won't come off in a week, or a month, either.
    This was advice given to me by my cardiologist when I began weight loss.
    Portion control is great. Smaller, more frequent meals (or meals with apple or veggie snacks in between) will help to keep blood sugar regulated and that will help with appetite.
    Finding support groups, like this one, can be what helps you succeed when other attempts have failed.
    Make friends here, and find people who are at the beginning of their weight journey and are similar in size/age/sex to you. Also find some who WERE similar to you but have come close to achieving their goals.
    You may want to Google/Youtube videos for obese patients to work out to so that you can find a pace that will work for you.
    WALKING is a terrific exercise and something that you can build upon. Walk with your spouse, your dog, a friend or alone with a good selection of music in your ear. I find that morning exercise is the best for my schedule.

MAKE A TIME FOR YOUR EXERCISE. Carve it out and make it work. Make it work around work, baby, hubby (wifey), doggy, etc. Defend that time against all the distractions that will try to take you away from it (like the awesome TV show at the same time, or the warmth of the bed, or ... whatever). Make that YOUR time.

When you grocery shop, stick to the outer aisles where you will find fresh produce and the fish and meat market. Avoid the frozen aisles and canned aisles, if you can. While the food there can be tossed into the micro and nuked, they have tons of sugar, fat and salt.

LOG, LOG, LOG
    By using the logging tool of My Fitness Pal, you will self-discipline. It is hard at first and confusing, but like everything else, it will become habit.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    First, great job deciding to take this step to getting healthier!!! Anything you do to move beyond what you are currently doing will be beneficial. When I first started I was just walking on the treadmill for 15 min a day and gradually built up my time, speed and incline. Oh and I have to agree with the other poster about the Jillian DVD's, when I did 30DS the first time it was pretty bad. You will get there. It is a gradual process-BABY STEPS. That goes with cutting your calories too, just start with reducing what you are eating a little bit at a time. Don't make yourself crazy thinking you have to jump all the way in the deep end :) Small changes that you can sustain will lead to big progress!!!

You can do this!!!!
  • RicaJamie
    Options
    Sent you a message! Good luck and congrats on the new baby! =)
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I agree with checking with your Dr.

I believe you will be most benefitted from finding an activity you can do and enjoy - that way you will not launch into something you are too overwhelmed with and hate. I started at 399 and lost my first 81 pounds through portion control and walking exclusively. I started walking slow -- very slow -- because everything hurt! Slowly as I lost weight I was able to increase speed and distance. I was too embarassed to go to a gym and didn't have the money anyway. I did Walk Away the Pounds, and I walked outside. I cannot say enough about the benefits of an exercise you enjoy.

In my opinion, you can accomplish anything as long as you can stick to it!

Congratulations on your new baby :heart: :heart: If you are nursing, please talk to your Dr about how many calories you should be consuming to ensure you don't harm your milk production. Take care!
  • gmhaggie06
    Options
    welcome to MFP! remember, 80% of the battle happens in the kitchen! Whether you burn 500 calories via cardio or diet is irrelevant as regards fat loss (cardio has added benefits for health/endurance etc). Great job making this decision! let me know if I can help; I have another 110 to lose.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes, be careful. Joints, tendons etc need gradual pressure increases. You will just injure yourself. Plus, your fitness levels will increase gradually. It took a while to be where you are, it will take a while to go back. My tips:

1) Make a time and stick to it for your exercise;
    2) This is a lifestyle choice NOT a diet. Dieting implies you do not intend to stick to it permanently;
    3) Stay away from sugar. This is my no.1 dont as far as my diet is concerned;
    4) Fat does NOT make you fat no matter what you may have read or been told. Too many calories is what does it;
    5) Log everything;
    6) Water - drink it
    7) Water - drink more of it;
    8)...more than that

You mentioned you feel embarrassed...let me tell you something:

Where I run, I see skinny size 4 women and I see overweight size 22+. I have FAR more respect for those who are overweight and doing something about it because I know what it is like.

It has taken me four years to lose 3 stone due to skeletal imbalance, muscular nervous irregularity and poor dietary choices. But I have lost it none the less.

Set yourself a target of 2lbs a week to lose...I bet you will lose more...
  • SusanO1955
    Options
    1) Involve your doc
    2) Make time at least 5 days a week for your workout. Try swimming! Easy on joints and super fun! Get hubby's support for watching the wee one while you're out taking care of yourself.
    3) Use the MFP food log. Record everything that goes into your mouth.
    4) My nighttime snack - sugar free jello.

Best of luck - take baby steps that you can keep to. Turning your exercise into a habit was first step for me. Then I only wanted to eat what would power me through the day. Try to recognize "emotional" eating which can only hurt you. Think of other things for rewards, a mani-pedi for example.

Hang in there!
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    look for a doctor--- any medical conditions

and just get started and never lose hope or heart
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    New baby! Way to go on that front. They are a lot of work, and no one ever tells you that when they are finally old enough to leave home they take your checkbook with them. :)

1) By all means, get your doctor involved in this process.

2) Whether you know it or not, or believe it or not, you are a perfect candidate for the gym, providing your overall health is good. A good gym will have a program just for people as yourself. They will help you pick the right combination of workouts --lifting + cardio-- that will challenge you without being a threat to your immediate health.

3) Eat at a calorie deficit, and log everything you eat....everything!

4) If you can breastfeed. Not only is this good for your baby, but it is good for you. It helps bond, but a lesser known fact is that breastfeeding uses calories. You are feeding two of you. Not at the calorie level you need of course, but over the months it will add up.

5) Start with little goals. You can lose 10 lbs, I know you can. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Be careful.
    Talk with your doctor before starting anything. With this much weight, there could be other factors that come into consideration: heart, joints, endurance, etc.
    Don't try to take it all off at one time. You didn't put it on in a week, it won't come off in a week, or a month, either.
    This was advice given to me by my cardiologist when I began weight loss.
    Portion control is great. Smaller, more frequent meals (or meals with apple or veggie snacks in between) will help to keep blood sugar regulated and that will help with appetite.
    Finding support groups, like this one, can be what helps you succeed when other attempts have failed.
    Make friends here, and find people who are at the beginning of their weight journey and are similar in size/age/sex to you. Also find some who WERE similar to you but have come close to achieving their goals.
    You may want to Google/Youtube videos for obese patients to work out to so that you can find a pace that will work for you.
    WALKING is a terrific exercise and something that you can build upon. Walk with your spouse, your dog, a friend or alone with a good selection of music in your ear. I find that morning exercise is the best for my schedule.

MAKE A TIME FOR YOUR EXERCISE. Carve it out and make it work. Make it work around work, baby, hubby (wifey), doggy, etc. Defend that time against all the distractions that will try to take you away from it (like the awesome TV show at the same time, or the warmth of the bed, or ... whatever). Make that YOUR time.

When you grocery shop, stick to the outer aisles where you will find fresh produce and the fish and meat market. Avoid the frozen aisles and canned aisles, if you can. While the food there can be tossed into the micro and nuked, they have tons of sugar, fat and salt.

LOG, LOG, LOG
    By using the logging tool of My Fitness Pal, you will self-discipline. It is hard at first and confusing, but like everything else, it will become habit.
    This is great advice. You will get more movement than you think, especially when the little one starts walking and crawling. Carry the baby around, strap it in the stroller and go for a walk; there's all sorts of stuff you can do that will ease you into exercise where you don't have to be in a room attempting dance moves that you can't do. (I have no sense of rhythm, and I found those classes HORRIBLE!!)

Weight lifting can be good to help maintain muscle mass, but if you aren't comfortable with that yet, it's not required for weight loss. That said, there are plenty of larger girls lifting weights, so don't let it deter you. I started lifting around 230lbs, and I know of several others on the forum who started lifting when they were heavier than that (again, check with a doctor).
  • deescrafty
    deescrafty Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Extremely nice post Patrickfish. We wouldn't need to feel embarrassed if there were more men and women like you out there. Just what was needed. And congratulations on your own journey.
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    It appears to me you are getting some solid advice. Please read my profile and you will learn it can be done.

Good luck and best wishes for your success.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    When I started, late January 2013, I just started with exercise. I did that for several reasons. First, will power is a finite resource, so I didn't want to change too many things at once. A book I'd read (The Power of Habit) led me to think that a regular exercise routine would help to build my will power, which would then make it easier to change other aspects of my lifestyle. Second, although my weight is a significant issue, I really wanted to improve my health, so again, the exercise seemed like the first thing to tackle. It has been working for me so far. I haven't missed a day of exercise since I started (although when I was sick for a few days I didn't do a lot). I started tracking my food - at first not really trying to keep strict track (i.e. weighing and measuring to the gram), but just to be more aware of what I was eating - using MFP, back in March. I've gradually gotten to where I keep closer track, but I haven't hit the dreaded "plateau", so I'm still not that strict about measuring my food intake. I do try not to "cheat" too much by not entering things. Because I'm exercising as much as I am, I can eat enough food to not feel desperately hungry and still run a calorie deficit. My weight loss hasn't been fast, but over the almost 11 months since I started, I've lost about 3 pounds a month.

As far as the type of exercise - I wanted to do something at home. It's 20+ minutes to go somewhere to work out and having been teased mercilessly about my athletic abilities as a child (even though that was a loooong time ago), I really don't like exercising where others can see me. I had tried using a Wii Fit for a few weeks several years ago and found that I didn't mind doing that, so I bought a used Nintendo Wii, a used Wii Balance Board and the Wii Fit Plus software and just set a goal of doing 30 minutes a day of aerobic exercise. Anything further - for instance the yoga, strength & balance exercises that are also part of the Wii Fit software - was optional. I gradually worked up to longer times and harder exercise. At this point, I'm doing at least an hour of Wii Zumba Core every day. I'm still not willing to be in a class with other people - it gets me moving but I know I look awful doing it. I ought to do more yoga and strength training, but...

The exercise, and weight loss, have made a tremendous difference in how I feel. Many fewer aches and pains - although since I keep pushing myself there is usually some ongoing muscle soreness. So, start slow and find something you can stick with.

I got myself a Fitbit One about a month ago. I like having something that tracks my activity and registers the calories I burn. It isn't perfect (it's windy here today, so it thinks I've climbed 72 flights of stairs), but it helps.
  • SANDRA_F26
    Options
    I just want to thank everyone for responding to my post. I plan to see a dr I am having some trouble getting insurance right now with the full time job I work.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My tip is to focus on one thing at a time. Don't try to look after a baby (first priority), watch your diet and do exercises, clean the house, etc etc.. all at the same time. It is GREAT that you are taking the firs step by logging on! and focus on Baby and portion control. If you are a snacker (I was when I was breastfeeding my babes..) have healthy snacks around.
    Welcome!:smile:
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    your baby is gorgeous. Don't do anything drastic you need to be staying well whilst loosing weight and getting healthier, quick fixes never work.
    You have done the right thing by getting onto MFP. get yourself ' friended' up with those you feel will give you regular support, log everything you eat and drink and do it one day at a time, take walks and start gradual.

good luck with you journey and congratulation on the lovely baby's birth

take care
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Baby! :heart:

I'd go ahead and have your doctor give you the okay for exercise, before anything else.

Maybe make a goal of: "I will log and measure everything I eat for 1 month."
    Then evaluate and start to make the changes you want, and your doctor and your friends here on MFP recommend. (Even if it's little things, like, "I will only have one helping of pasta at dinner instead of two and I WILL measure it.") Don't drastically cut your caloric intake and expect good results. Lower it slowly and carefully (like quitting smoking; one fewer cig a day attitude).

If the logging is feeling comfortable, try just walking for 5 minutes everyday (put the baby in the stroller, hand him off to someone, or just walk around the house purposefully while holding him!). After two weeks of that, try walking for ten minutes. Don't even expect to lose weight, because what you want is to build a habit which will get you through any slumpy or bad day.

Little, little goals are and have been my saving grace. If I look at a huge goal, I break down.
    Like when I said I would start weight lifting. My first goal was to just walk around my gym's weight room, just ONCE. Then I gradually got more comfortable. I was inspired by this guy at the beginning of my weight loss: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/03/game-of-life/

All the best on your journey of healthful motherhood!