What does "gentleman" mean in this day and age?

Options

Replies

• Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I always hold the door open for a lady, and let her pass first. Sure, I am checking out her backside as she does, but they think I am being a gentleman.

See, this is why we can't have nice things.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    :smile: What were those Boy Scout qualities that we were supposed to uphold. Trustworthy, loyal, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent Sounds like a gentleman to me.

You missed helpful.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I always hold the door open for a lady, and let her pass first. Sure, I am checking out her backside as she does, but they think I am being a gentleman.

You give me hope that a special someone is out there for me and that I can love again someday. :laugh:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

You give me hope that a special someone is out there for me and that I can love again someday. :laugh:

It's what I am here for. I'm sure you meant that I destroyed your certainty, and restored you to hoping.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    gives cab money the morning after.....\m/
  • leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Well he has to be stronger than most, have blue eyes, a deep voice, be bald, and always strive to put people at ease.
    hehe nice - touche
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

I make em do the walk of shame.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Well he has to be stronger than most, have blue eyes, a deep voice, be bald, and always strive to put people at ease.
    hehe nice - touche

Not another soul will get it, but I knew you would.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    An honorable man...someone who respects his family, his friends, his woman. Someone who is a good man, a good friend and an honest person.
    I believe a gentleman is a good man, even when no one is looking. Don't hold the door open for me and treat me to dinner if you are lying or disrespecting me when I'm not looking.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    :smile: What were those Boy Scout qualities that we were supposed to uphold. Trustworthy, loyal, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent Sounds like a gentleman to me.

You missed helpful.

CRAP!! It's been a couple years :sad:
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I'll take it!
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    A gentleman in regards to intimate relationships: Someone who will not only listen and let his partner cry on his shoulder but he will share his feelings and occasionally show his fears or insecurities. After all, showing your feelings is a strength, not a weakness in some situations. A gentleman will hold doors and pull out chairs. A gentleman will defend the honor of his partner, and introduce his partner to his friends, family and coworkers in such a way to make the partner feel special. A gentleman honors his word. A gentleman encourages the growth of his partner and knows when he has pushed too far.

Honor, Integrity, and Courage. Or something like that. It sounds like some frikin Military commercial, but those are the qualities that define a gentleman to me. Courage to me means more than bravery, it means having the guts to share your feelings when appropriate.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Courteous, respectful, dependable and honorable. I know there are more qualities involved in being a gentleman than that, but these make a man really stand out.

I had never dated a "gentleman" until recently- both of my ex-husbands were relatively self-centered and rather lacking in manners really. It was a very pleasant and totally foreign experience, lol. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I know it is a quality I would like in the next person I date.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    A true gentleman does do the old hey there's a moth flying and fart under the covers trick. :huh:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I watched a male co-worker struggle with changing the bottle on the water cooler the other day. He carried it over to the cooler and sat it on the ground for a moment while he caught his breath. I simply walked over and put the jug in place. It weighed about 80 pounds, but wasn't an issue for me. I'm a bar tender, I have to change out kegs all the time. A water bottle wasn't even a small challenge.

Does this make me a gentleman because I assisted the weaker person?

I also make more money than many men I know, so if a male friend and I want to go out, I will offer to pick up the tab. That would be the gentlemanly thing to do, right?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that I am a gentleman. I have both physical strength and financial power over my opposite sex friends. That seems to cover the definition as I understand it.
    strange post is strange

It is my mission in life to make people feel like they have just slipped into some kind of LSD fueled alternate universe. Follow me down the rabbit hole. Take the red pill. Change your whole life.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A gentleman is a man, who acts with gentility. At least, that's my opinion .

Gentility -
    1. The quality of being well-mannered; refinement..
    2. affected politeness

My favorite definitions ^^
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I think it means I never have to pay for my own tacos again.
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Here are 24 rules to be a gentleman. You can buy the book if you want

http://thoughtcatalog.com/chelsea-fagan/2013/12/24-rules-for-being-a-gentleman-in-2014/
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    A gentleman always lets a lady finish first :flowerforyou:

^^This, seriously ...... because if you can respect others (wink) during the heat of passion, you can in the rest of everyday life.
    God, country, family and your neighbors and apple pie
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

Wel, with as much as I charge, it's the least I can do.