Prednisone weight gain?

Options
Ok, so I am not seeing the weight loss i would have normally seen this week. In fact, I managed to gain 2 lbs. A google search suggests that my prednisone prescription might be making me retain water. Has anyone had any experience with this? How long after finishing the steroids did it take to lose the weight gain?

Replies

• carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Prednisone is a major weight gain culprit for me! The last time I was on it I gained a pound a day for the 3 weeks I was on it. That was several months ago and I am still trying to get back to where I was before. A large part of my problem was that I let myself get so depressed about the weight gain that I gave up even trying to lose it. I'm now back to being serious about my weight loss plan and the pounds are starting to come off again...about 11 pounds in the past two months.

Try to remember that the weight gain is temporary and that if you stick to your calorie goals and macros you will both limit the damage and get back on track relatively quickly.

Good luck!
  • squirrel1691
    Options
    It is just a 5 day pack. I just hate not seeing my normal weight loss. I am one of those people who steps on the scale at least once a day. I guess what I need to do is just wait until i finish my meds, weight a week and the weigh. I will just make sure to stick to my diet and get a lot of water. I just hate gaining anything, it makes me crazy.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am not seeing the weight loss i would have normally seen this week. In fact, I managed to gain 2 lbs. A google search suggests that my prednisone prescription might be making me retain water. Has anyone had any experience with this? How long after finishing the steroids did it take to lose the weight gain?

I really feel ya on this one. I was on Prednisone for over a year for my medical issue, but finally decided the side-effects were worse than what I was trying to cure. It wasn't really water as much for me. It was more that I could eat a huge meal and still feel like I ate nothing at all!

Although I wasn't trying to lose weight when I finally got off of Prednisone, I immediately felt better in terms of my appetite and my ability to feel full. It may take a little while to be honest. It may be water or, if it altered your appetite, it may be a few unwanted pounds... just try to reduce your caloric intake and exercise more and it probably will come off in a week or so.

How long were you on it? Only for this week?

Edit: well you beat me to it... 5 days shouldn't be too bad. Refer to my previous timeline.
  • squirrel1691
    Options

I really feel ya on this one. I was on Prednisone for over a year for my medical issue, but finally decided the side-effects were worse than what I was trying to cure. It wasn't really water as much for me. It was more that I could eat a huge meal and still feel like I ate nothing at all!

Although I wasn't trying to lose weight when I finally got off of Prednisone, I immediately felt better in terms of my appetite and my ability to feel full. It may take a little while to be honest. It may be water or, if it altered your appetite, it may be a few unwanted pounds... just try to reduce your caloric intake and exercise more and it probably will come off in a week or so.

How long were you on it? Only for this week?

Just for this week. I am watching my calories. I just can't really exercise because of some pretty bad inflammation in my lungs (which is what I am taking it for). Doing much of anything physical causes coughing/wheezing/ shortness of breath. So I am having to wait until i can start trying to work out again and just controlling my weight with diet.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It is just a 5 day pack. I just hate not seeing my normal weight loss. I am one of those people who steps on the scale at least once a day. I guess what I need to do is just wait until i finish my meds, weight a week and the weigh. I will just make sure to stick to my diet and get a lot of water. I just hate gaining anything, it makes me crazy.

How long have you been on it? Depending on your dosage, that's a very short time to see a gain and the two may not be related.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just focusing on getting better. Being healthy means more than what the scale says. So be happy you're almost finished with Prednisone and just focus on getting past your illness. That, in turn, will eventually help when you're able to go back to exercising. :-)
  • squirrel1691
    Options

How long have you been on it? Depending on your dosage, that's a very short time to see a gain and the two may not be related.

Like 3 and 1/2 days. 20mg 3 times a day.