Bloodwork Just in...and it's not good.

Options
My cholesterol is 280 and the other is 190 Not sure what it all means but I know i'm to be under 200 on one and 100 on the other. I hardly eat. I do need to lose 50 pounds because i keep my body in "starvation mode" only because eating is an inconvenience for me so I grab quick foods.
Any suggestions.....yes, I will be taking meds.

Liquids?
How much bread?
How much fruit and what kind?
How much veggies and what kind?

I do not eat meat or seafood or Tofu. HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Replies

• Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    My cholesterol is 280 and the other is 190 Not sure what it all means but I know i'm to be under 200 on one and 100 on the other. I hardly eat. I do need to lose 50 pounds because i keep my body in "starvation mode" only because eating is an inconvenience for me so I grab quick foods.
    Any suggestions.....yes, I will be taking meds.

Liquids?
    How much bread?
    How much fruit and what kind?
    How much veggies and what kind?

I do not eat meat or seafood or Tofu. HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Protein bars? They taste like candy bars, for the most part. Packed with nutritious goodness that can be easily stuffed in a purse and carried along for the day.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    So sorry about your results.

I don't know specific answers but quick and healthy and vegetarian are:

hummus/flatbreads or veggies
    homemade refried beans (easy and quick if you use a crockpot) and rice burritos
    lentil soup

We spend an afternoon cooking all the lunches for the following week. We also cook some dinners ahead of time.

I also pre-peel and cut up carrots and celery for snacks. I prebag other snacks to the serving size I want my family to have (and me). i.e. peanuts, 1/4 cup. I measure and prebag so I know what I am getting and how much and it is much cheaper.

Good luck. Thinking of you and be well.
  • hoolihan
    hoolihan Posts: 27
    Options
    http://www.dietitian.com/choleste.html

If you don't have access to a registered dietician to help you with your "plan of attack" to get your levels down, maybe check out this site above. If you have good insurance your doctor may be able to refer you. Good luck!
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    Options
    Sorry I did not see this post sooner. Last November when I was diagnosed with Coronary Artery Disease and had to have a stent placed due to 90% blockage in one artery, my cholesterol was 368! It was 128 when I had my last blood work done. High cholesterol was the only risk factor I had for heart disease.

I am on Crestor but I made major lifestyle changes as well. I gave up fast food, fried food, cheese, saturated fats, hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated anything, etc. It was hard at first, but when I realized what I had done to myself with bad eating I became determined to make the changes.

I eat lots of fruit, veggies,and whole grains. I probably eat more fruit and veggies in a month than I used to eat in a year. As far as amounts go, it is different for everyone so you really do need a plan designed specifically for your metabolic needs and weight loss goals.

Good luck to you! You can beat this!! If it seems daunting, start with small steps.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Well to lower cholesterol you do the basics,

if you smoke, stop (I realize this is hard but...).
    Exercise, eat lots of fruits and veggies, avoid saturated fats, and lower your weight.

Stress is also a factor.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Yep, eat lots of fruits and veggies - any kind. I wouldn't stress too much about specific ones. Cut them up when you have time and have them in plastic containers ready to go, for when you don't have time. Buy freeze dried fruit & veggies if you can afford it. The Just Tomatoes brand is wonderful. Eat those instead of chips or dessert.

100% whole grain bread (any bread products for that matter). Look at the ingredients - if it says "wheat flour" it's not whole grain, it must say "whole wheat flour" or "whole rye flour", etc. Nature's Own makes a good one, but any are fine.

Exercise - even if you can't do more than 10 minutes, do the 10 minutes.

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    You wrote:
    "eating is an inconvenience for me so I grab quick foods."

I agree with all the food suggestions. I guess I might also suggest talking this through with someone who is objective (a therapist, a counselor, a clergyperson) as to why eating is inconvenient for you??? Is is possible that there are things that need to be re-aligned, re-prioritized in your life in order to put your health first?

Best wishes to you . . .
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ... Is is possible that there are things that need to be re-aligned, re-prioritized in your life in order to put your health first?

Best wishes to you . . .

I agree with this. It sounds as though you really need to take a good hard look at your entire lifestyle, not just the specific foods (and quantities) that you eat.

Starving yourself is counterproductive, you're literally fighting your own body.

Set up your food diary to track your cholesterol, that should be helpful.
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    Thanks....I do NOT smoke, I do NOT drink, I do NOT drink anything with caffeine...so I know that is a plus.

I've checked everything on MFP food log and I never even go near the 300mg of cholesterol I'm allowed. So I believe what I need to do is get out of my "starvation mode" and EXERCISE and drop the weight and i'll be fine. Also, heart disease does NOT run in my family. So I guess I have some good stuff on my side.

Thanks!
    Well to lower cholesterol you do the basics,

if you smoke, stop (I realize this is hard but...).
    Exercise, eat lots of fruits and veggies, avoid saturated fats, and lower your weight.

Stress is also a factor.
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    OMG, thank you so much. Why the blockage if your last blood work was 128. 10 years ago my father had triple bypass surgery due to cholesterol (it was 1400!!!!), he was a smoker and hate horribly (my mom is french and cooked with a lot of butter/grease/cream. Since, he quit smoking, started working out and eating properly and is in excellent health at 76 years old!
    Sorry I did not see this post sooner. Last November when I was diagnosed with Coronary Artery Disease and had to have a stent placed due to 90% blockage in one artery, my cholesterol was 368! It was 128 when I had my last blood work done. High cholesterol was the only risk factor I had for heart disease.

I am on Crestor but I made major lifestyle changes as well. I gave up fast food, fried food, cheese, saturated fats, hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated anything, etc. It was hard at first, but when I realized what I had done to myself with bad eating I became determined to make the changes.

I eat lots of fruit, veggies,and whole grains. I probably eat more fruit and veggies in a month than I used to eat in a year. As far as amounts go, it is different for everyone so you really do need a plan designed specifically for your metabolic needs and weight loss goals.

Good luck to you! You can beat this!! If it seems daunting, start with small steps.
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    YES! You hit it right on the nail. I am always taking care of everyone and everything else and have neglected myself physically and emotionally. I am totally run down stress wise as for some reason I worry about everything and yet I have nothing to worry about...I am truly blessed. My children and my husband are fixed healthy food, etc....by the time we sit down to dinner, I'm too tired and stressed to eat. I skip meals....so my metabolism is shot! I'm not depressed, just do what you suggested, I need to "Re-Align and Re-Prioritize" my life. Thank you!
    You wrote:
    "eating is an inconvenience for me so I grab quick foods."

I agree with all the food suggestions. I guess I might also suggest talking this through with someone who is objective (a therapist, a counselor, a clergyperson) as to why eating is inconvenient for you??? Is is possible that there are things that need to be re-aligned, re-prioritized in your life in order to put your health first?

Best wishes to you . . .
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    Thank you so much. I have started to do that and am changing my lifestyle. All the stress and putting so much before my own needs and started to make MY body fall apart. I started cooking healthy quite sometime ago for my husband and children...my husband lost 25 pounds and is in good shape as my children are. They go to the dentist EVERY six months and if they look at me the wrong way, I ship them to the doctor. However, "I" have not had a Mamo done, have not been to the dentist in 2 years (keep putting that off), and finally went to the doctor this past week because my body is drawn down so much. So, you are right! Thank you.
    ... Is is possible that there are things that need to be re-aligned, re-prioritized in your life in order to put your health first?

Best wishes to you . . .

I agree with this. It sounds as though you really need to take a good hard look at your entire lifestyle, not just the specific foods (and quantities) that you eat.

Starving yourself is counterproductive, you're literally fighting your own body.

Set up your food diary to track your cholesterol, that should be helpful.