Advice for 5k training plan

Options
Hi,

I have recently started running as a means to lose fat. I have decided to train for 5k runs to provide me with a goal, motivate me and it something I have enjoyed doing.

I have been running for about 3 weeks now, recently started running 5k. I have got myself to a level where I can complete a 5k run in 36 minutes and I am aiming to run 3 times a week. My long term goal is to be able to run 5k in about 25 mins with 1-2% incline.

The difficulty I am having is making a plan that will help me get to my long term goal. I'm not sure if I should start adding intervals of incline now or to focus on improving speed. Also i'm not sure what increments I should be adding.

Can anyone offer me any advice?

Cheers,

Replies

• zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be running up inclines in your 5K? Otherwise, it seems to me that improving your speed is what you're really after. In which case, HIIT/speed intervals would be far more useful to you. I do two interval workouts per week. Here's what they look like:

Interval Workout #1:
    Run 1 minute at 8.0 mph
    Walk 2 minutes at 3.5 mph
    Repeat 8 times

Interval Workout #3:
    Run 2 minutes at 7.0 mph
    Walk 1 minute at 3.5 mph
    Repeat 8 times

My 5K pace is around 5.6 mph and my 10K pace is 5.3 mph, so running at 7 or 8 mph is really pushing it for me. But I have already seen results, as only 2 months ago I couldn't run the 5K without stopping for walk breaks and was going at a 5 or 5.1 mph pace.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I will offer the dissenting opinion to the one above:

As a new runner, the best way to increase speed is to increase distance. Starting speedwork too early is a recipe for injury. Just like you wouldn't jump from the couch to running 30 miles a week, you don't want to start sprints too early. If you run 3 times a week, make one of those runs a long run. Increase your distance by 10% each week. Keep to a pace where you can carry on a conversation. Once you have been running comfortably for 3 months or so, then you can worry about speed work, intervals, and tempo runs.

The old adage is 'if you want to run a faster 5k, train for a 10k'. Since you can already do 5k, work on slightly longer distances. The 1-2% incline on a treadmill is good, but it is always best to run outside if you are racing outside.
  • tanksum
    Options
    Thanks for the input.

The reason I wanted to add incline was to make it more realistic compared to an outdoor run. I think HIIT/Speed interval might be what I should try next and then once I am more happier with my pace to include some incline.
  • tanksum
    Options

As a new runner, the best way to increase speed is to increase distance. Starting speedwork too early is a recipe for injury. Just like you wouldn't jump from the couch to running 30 miles a week, you don't want to start sprints too early. If you run 3 times a week, make one of those runs a long run. Increase your distance by 10% each week. Keep to a pace where you can carry on a conversation. Once you have been running comfortably for 3 months or so, then you can worry about speed work, intervals, and tempo runs.

The old adage is 'if you want to run a faster 5k, train for a 10k'. Since you can already do 5k, work on slightly longer distances. The 1-2% incline on a treadmill is good, but it is always best to run outside if you are racing outside.

Thanks. That does give me food for thought as it is something that I did not consider but makes sense.
  • WriteRunWrite
    Options
    I have to agree on increasing mileage. Your goal is to build that aerobic base, and doing so will also increase your speed to some extent. Just work on slowly adding more miles for now. Give it a few months before adding in speed workouts. And best of luck!! :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Another for increasing mileage. After I finished couch to 5K I kept running three days per week but made one of the runs a longer run that I increased every week and kept at an easy pace, one of the runs stayed at about 5K but at a little faster pace, and the other run was in between the 5K run and the long run in both distance and pace. I did this for several months and my 5K time improved quite a bit and it was a few months after running a 10K that I added in any intervals at all.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I don't disagree. I guess I had assumed the OP was doing that as well, since he was asking about speed vs incline intervals. I run 4 times per week: 2 speed interval sessions as described above, a 10K run, and a tri training brick (1/2 mile swim followed by a 5K, or a 12 mile bike ride followed by a 5K. On my 5th day I either do a spin class or I swim. Ultimately I think most people don't make the obvious connection that in order to run faster you have to... run faster!
  • tanksum
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! It has really been informative and it's clear that the best way to progress for me is to add up the milage at a comfortable pace. Now I will do two runs a week to 5k, just as I have been but wil change the third run I will make a longer distance run. I won't worry about speed / incline interval until I have more milage and can do the 5k comfortably, I guess the pace will automatically come the more I run too.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

I don't disagree. I guess I had assumed the OP was doing that as well, since he was asking about speed vs incline intervals. I run 4 times per week: 2 speed interval sessions as described above, a 10K run, and a tri training brick (1/2 mile swim followed by a 5K, or a 12 mile bike ride followed by a 5K. On my 5th day I either do a spin class or I swim. Ultimately I think most people don't make the obvious connection that in order to run faster you have to... run faster!

Sure, speed work has its place, but for someone who has only been running 3 weeks, jumping into intervals is not the wisest move. I run 50+ miles a week and do mile repeats, steady state, or tempo runs every week, but I would never suggest that for a beginner.

OP, once you have a little better base under you, here are some things you can try

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/541513_10102013798663165_2117828333_n.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'd listen to that thickmcrunfast chick, as judging by her profile picture she may know a little something about running.

I will add that since you're a fairly new runner, that just because you can run longer doesn't mean you *should* run longer. Mileage should be built up slowly, as your endurance can outpace your body's ability to recover
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'd listen to that thickmcrunfast chick, as judging by her profile picture she may know a little something about running.

I will add that since you're a fairly new runner, that just because you can run longer doesn't mean you *should* run longer. Mileage should be built up slowly, as your endurance can outpace your body's ability to recover

It can also outpace your connective tissue's conditioning and result in injuries.
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started running in July - getting outside is my advice to you. Treadmill is running, it is tiring and it is tough. It is not the same though and you'll be surprised at how much harder it is to run al fresco.

So, well done on your starting running - I am just about happy to call myself a runner now and once I got outside I found it more relaxing, enervating and overall a nicer experience that the dry heat and sweaty rankness of the gym.

Good luck!
  • jjala6348
    Options
    I started running, short distance and slowly at first, a little over a year ago, on a treadmill in the gym. Sinve then I've started running outside few times a week if the weather is OK. I found running outside to be easier/more fun - as I find treadmill boring. I currently run 5K just under 33 minutes - which is a huge improvement - from barely being able to walk a mile (back in my very overweight days ;) I am going to add distance slowly to my runs, and run intervals at the gym treadmill once a week (7.5/2.5 around 1 minute each for around 20 minutes). I'm 54 and in better shape than since my 20s ! :)) Good for you - keep it going!
  • tanksum
    Options
    Cheers all. I'll probably run outdoors once I have get used to it on the treadmill and watch to mix it up.
  • CarmineDeMarco
    CarmineDeMarco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As a new runner, the best way to increase speed is to increase distance. Starting speedwork too early is a recipe for injury. Just like you wouldn't jump from the couch to running 30 miles a week, you don't want to start sprints too early. If you run 3 times a week, make one of those runs a long run. Increase your distance by 10% each week. Keep to a pace where you can carry on a conversation.

You won't get more spot-on advice than the above. I would just like to address something thst no one has touched on yet: you've been running for only 3 weeks and can already run 5K?? Congrats on that awesome achievement! Just stay healthy...perhaps make it a primary goal to run injury-free (at least, as injury-free as possible!).
  • AprilLizbethWire
    AprilLizbethWire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As a new runner, the best way to increase speed is to increase distance. Starting speedwork too early is a recipe for injury. Just like you wouldn't jump from the couch to running 30 miles a week, you don't want to start sprints too early. If you run 3 times a week, make one of those runs a long run. Increase your distance by 10% each week. Keep to a pace where you can carry on a conversation.

You won't get more spot-on advice than the above. I would just like to address something thst no one has touched on yet: you've been running for only 3 weeks and can already run 5K?? Congrats on that awesome achievement! Just stay healthy...perhaps make it a primary goal to run injury-free (at least, as injury-free as possible!).

Exactly what I was thinking! a 5k isn't easy to work up to! I will be taking the advise you quoted as well. I have been running for a little over two months and was wondering what I should do next.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif
  • tanksum
    Options

Thanks! Yes I was chuffed when I managed the 5k but to be fair I was doing other cardio before that so had built some stamina. Of course running injury-free should be a primary goal. I am going to make sure I give myself a day between runs at least and probably 2 days after a longer distance.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's a very rookie mistake to want to introduce speedwork too early and too frequently (I did this too back in the spring!). Stick with the slow and easy stuff for a while, and by a while, I mean a few months/few hundred miles. A sub-25 is a great goal, and from where you're at, I'd say it will take at least a good 6-12 mos of regular training to accomplish.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    more miles, more miles, more miles...

believe it!