why add calories for exercise?

Options
i don't understand why because i thought the idea was to burn them off!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you at a deficit when you sign up. You burn more calories when you work out. Too big of a deficit can result in your body going into starvation mode, which can eventually have the opposite desired effect of weight loss
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Because MFP already has you set at a calorie deficit. Here's a more detailed explanation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    They already have you at a calorie deficit, so when you exercise it buys you some more calories for the day. You don't have to eat them, it just gives you flexibility. I think Weight Watchers does something similar with gaining points for the day.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    You aren't adding calories for the sake of calories... you are adding nutrients for your body to maintain itself and grow muscle. You will notice that when you add your exercise into your diary, your Protein requirements go up. This is because you need more protein for the muscles you are using. You also need some more essential fatty acids. Since exercise can release free radicals into your body, you should increase your intake of antioxidants as well (vitamins A, C & E are a good place to start).

It's not just about losing fat... it's also about giving your body the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.

Good luck!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi ya,

So when you exercise you burn up calories, that is correct. So what it does is add those calories to your allowance to eat if you need. MFP already sets your calorie allowance to be at a rate below maintenance so you will be loosing weight. It adds your exercise calories to this allowance because these are extra to your normal cals burnt. Some people choose to eat them all back so exercising means they can eat more. Some people choose not to eat them, so exercising means they will loose weight faster. As long as you are above 1200 calories eaten each day it doesn't really matter.

Personally if I burn 500 calories a day I can't not eat at least some of that back or I will be faint! But normally I only eat about half back. This means I am always over 1200 calories but still a couple of hundred under my allowance for the day, giving me some leg room if I've understimated my food :)
  • heidimille
    heidimille Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have picked out a "ticker", can anyone please tell me where to post the url for it at? thanks so much =)
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    good points in here for when people insist on eating well below what they should!