Just want to rant

Options

Replies

• laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I get that this was just a rant. And I don't see excuses, I see reasons. But all of these are reasons why you aren't where you want to be. As others have said, something has got to give. Change isn't easy, but clearly you're going to have to change some stuff up or you will never get healthy. Period. But you don't need to do it all at once. You don't need to exercise every single day for an hour and buy only organic food and get 10 hours of sleep and drink 100 oz of water TODAY. Make one small change at a time. OH, and as for not wanting to cook 2 meals, I totally get you, but your son is 6. I worked in a pediatrician's office for years, seeing all kinds of picky eaters, and not one of them starved to death. He might be strongwilled, he might go to sleep hungry a few nights, but eventually he will eat what you give him because normal healthy children will not starve themselves. Besides, he should be eating healthy as well, so he has a good foundation for when he is older. If not, 6 is old enough to learn how to make peanut butter and jelly.

Some really cheap healthy foods are eggs, beans, fruits/veggies that are in season or on sale. Check out the sales ads for the week, and buy what you can afford that week. You can make all sorts of things in a slow cooker in the morning and it will be ready for when you get home - one less thing to worry about. And you really don't need space to exercise - men in prison do it all the time. even if all you do is jumping jacks, crunches, and pushups, you can get a fantastic workout, and it's free.

Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Logging isn't complicated.

If you're doing a recipe you enter all the ingredients by weight. If you're baking, weigh whatever dish you're using first. Then cook your food. Weigh the entire thing, dish plus recipe. Then subtract the weight of the dish (so if your total weight is 450 grams and you weighed the dish at 240 grams, then your recipe weighs 210 grams). That's the weight of your total recipe. Then you've got two choices for getting out a serving. You can divide the total weight by the number of servings, and eat that much each time you have a serving (ex. 210 grams of total weight, 2 servings = 105 grams per serving). Alternately (this is what I do) take your total weight and make one serving 10 grams. So if I had 210 grams, I'd tell the recipe builder I made 21 servings. Then if I weigh out 50 grams to eat I put that I had 5 servings. If I weigh out 140 grams to eat, I had 14 servings.

It takes a little practice but once you get it down it's fast. I spend 5 minutes or so logging each day. I use the same recipes more than once so once the recipe is saved it's even faster.

You seem really frustrated right now and you've got a lot of reasons why none of these suggestions will work for you. Maybe you just need to take a break and come back to it when you're less stressed. If you're not ready then you're not ready.

this would waste too much of OP's valuable time….

I'm hoping that OP is just having a meltdown and she'll feel better later. When she does she can come back to this thread. What can I say, I'm an optimist.

I think OP is in a permanent state of meltdowns….
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Not that you will take too kindly to this ... but, all I see here from you are excuses.

And you're right, they only matter to you.

No amount of advice any of us can offer will help you until you are ready to help yourself. No change is too difficult unless you make it so. No one is standing in your way but YOU.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I fully understand where you are coming from. I was a personal support worker for a boy slightly older then yours with the same attitude and behaviours couple with aggressive outbursts. I was with them for 8 yrs, 6-12 hrs a week with a single mom who was frustrated and felt defeated with the situation she was in. She had the same arguments and reasons for why she needed to lose weight, get control over her son, and control over her life. These are not excuses, these are the real reasons why neither she or you are able to get a grasp on your current situation. Your stuck financially, emotionally, possibly working alongside a social service agency (you may have a support worker like myself currently working with your son), or even legal issues with your child's father. These issues should NOT be discussed online but with a woman's centre for counseling (or wherever you can get it for free, possibly a church), your doctor, free social service agencies (or ones willing to do geared-to-income fees) that can work with you and your son, or even reach out to someone you trust.
    The woman I worked for did not end up getting control while I was in their home. She tried desperately with every resource available to her, but just couldn't get ahead both emotionally and financially. All I can offer is the advice to talk to someone you trust about your doubts and difficulties. They'll understand. Good luck!!
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can have one designated day for cooking.. Saturdays for example, you can cook food in bulk for the entire week.. Prepare you meats only for example, for 5, 6 days.. It will save u a lot of time for the rest of the week..All you have to do after is to prepare sides, salads, snacks etc. on a given day, your meals will be ready in 20 minutes this way...
    You can buy used sets of dumbbells for like 10$ searching local ads.. Google home dumbbells workouts free.. produmbbellworkouts.com/ is a great dumbbell's site for example.....Cardio is not just running and jogging.. You can do crazy heart pumping cardios not leaving your living room.. google it, youtube it.. All free of charge...
    So no excuses..That's the frame of mind you should have...

You don't need money to look decent...
    I do believe you're making mistakes counting calories with MFP however, or you set your calories intake wrongly.. Good luck
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Look up body weight exercises on nerdfitness.com, look up tabata intervals, eat less than you are currently eating, drive to a safe location where you can get some fresh air and a walk with your son, race him, with sidewalks or a park with paths. Heck, go climb on the concrete dividers in parking lots when there arent a lot of people there. Take your kid into the yard. You said there are fences so make some toys his "new"outside toys. Look into quitting a few school activities, he is only 6 and doesn't need a full schedule, he needs down time, too.

Or just keep clinging to your reasons and those ten pounds.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    If you're too busy to weigh and track food and stuff, then just try and think healthy. Make healthier choices when you are out eating. when you shop for food that you're gonna cook for your family/sons then just pick a bunch of veggies and fruits and lean meats etc. When its time to cook them, dont slather them in butter and a ton of seasonings, just use a little pepper a little salt, either one of those reduced butters or just regular butter but less than usual with a little olive oil. also get smaller plates, people years ago managed to stay slim without micromanaging numbers so theres no reason why you can't do it now...just dont pile your plate high with food. now in terms of exercising like a lot of people said, observe your day really well, how much you spend at work, what you do commuting home, how much you spend with the kids etc. but there is definitely time for you to squeeze in some type of workout. or break your workout into 5 min sessions. I'm sure when you do activities with your kids outside theres no reason why you all cant get out of the car(bus, train, whatever you take) 5 blocks before, to jog the rest of the way. there's no reason why while you're at work you can't stand up for even a few seconds and kick your legs out or stretch to the side while going to the bathroom. If you dont want someone seeing you, on your bathroom break do like 5 jumping jacks. With my job, whenever I went to get something in the basement, I would pause on the stairs and do 5 tricep dips. Don't give up, its easier to just say life is just too messed up that you can't beat it and so why bother trying, but if you really want it, you'll make a way.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You are making excuse after excuse why you CAN'T do it rather than focusing on what you CAN do.

Guess what? Weight loss doesnt cost money. All you need to do is consistently eat less calories than you burn. No exercise required.

But until you own up to your health being your responsibility, there is nothing myself nor anyone else can do for you.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You're eating way too much.

You either want to lose weight, or you want that extra slice of pizza. No one can make you want one or the other. You have to decide whether you're going to overeat or not.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    On Thanksgiving morning, I wanted to make sure I got my exercise in before our five hour drive to a relative's house for the weekend. If I went to the gym, I would have had to cut my workout short, but I didn't want to do that. So, I got up at the normal time I would to go to the gym and fired up my computer for the Tae Bo 45 minutes workout I'd found on You Tube the night before.

It was an AWESOME workout and I didn't even have to leave my own house.

If you want to work out, where there is a will there is a way and it's called the internet.

I bet your son would love working out with you too! Kids usually love to dance.

Also, you must get control of your eating habits. You don't gain ten pounds in two weeks by eating too few calories, or even 2,000 calories. I know because I've gained 10 pounds in two weeks before by stuffing my face It takes a tremendous amount of calories to gain that much in so little time. I never thought I was eating that much but clearly I was.

You don't think you are eating that much but clearly you are.

Logging food in does not take all that long. It takes me between five and ten minutes each morning.

The best of luck to you on your weight loss journey.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I almost didn't reply, but here goes nothing...

My youngest is the same type of kid - he was in the "terrible two's" stage from 18 months to about 7 years old when his tests revealed a 152 equivalent IQ. He was scary-smart & bored to tears in school, so he got into trouble. He couldn't relate to kids his own age, so he tried to be friends with teachers. He wouldn't listen to anyone because he thought he was (and probably actually was) smarter than many adults in authority. He skipped kindergarten & 4th grade so he is now a Sophomore and just turned 14 in October. He's in all advanced classes & is on track to graduate HS in 2016 at the age of 16. My point is to tell you that it does get better. Get your son evaluated for GATE or advanced classes if you haven't already. I know what a challenge it is with your son, and I can't imagine going through it as a single parent, but he is your first priority.

As far as your weight loss, I would agree with most of the people posting her. But I can offer one simple bit of advice... Figure out what he likes to eat & serve it every day. You can eat it too, just weigh and LOG EVERYTHING. When he gets bored with that try something else. Ask him what he wants to eat, and serve it with some vegetables on the side. Like someone else said... once a week make big batches of soup, chili, grilled chicken, etc. for yourself using the MFP database (it does NOT take long) and save the recipe so next time you can just enter your portion.

Things should calm down in a couple of years, and with a little luck maybe you will be at your goal weight by then! Hang in there!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any medications? I know when I had been on one med for migraines I gained 45 lbs in 3 wks and I talked to my Dr and she switched it to a different migraine med and it took me about 7 months of working out pretty much every single day but I finally got the weight off that I had gained from that. It might be something simple as a medication you are on causes weight gain or water retention. If not I would up your water intake "alot" because it not only helps speed up your metabolism but it will help with water retention too. Its hard this time of yr because its a very busy time of yr and anywhere you go people are offering up goodies and treats. You can eat foods you like and still not gain weight most of if just depends on how you pair them. And that the proportions are right of protein,to carbs, to veggies. On youtube theres a video the Food Lovers Fatloss System I think its Dr Robert Ferguson kinda explains it how to pair your foods so you can keep your blood sugar stable and still lose weight and eat anything you like pretty much. For example if you have a cheeseburger and fries it is gonna raise your blood sugar and cause weight gain cuz its too many carbs and the proportions are wrong but if you have a cheeseburger and a side salad in place of fries then you will keep your blood sugar stable and still lose weight cuz you will have the foods proportioned right. That one is really helpful. It would make it alot harder with bad knees. But I would maybe start by trying hand weights laying down. Or even hand weights sitting in a chair. Maybe just taking a walk for so many minutes during the day till you gain strength bk in your knees some would be good. Or water aerobics if you like water might help so your knees don't bother you as much.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Okay..so my opinion is to take a deep breath, get "Christmas over with' and then sleep, and then focus on your diet and what you are eating and leave the exercise for few weeks/months. I know someone who was trying to quit smoking, move house, and lose weight. She decided to focus on only 2. If your son is in extracurricular activities can you perhaps walk around the block while he's in the activity? Every 10 min counts. There are 1440 minutes in one day.... try walking for 10 min in the am 10 min in the afternoon.... on weekends try walking more. Can you switch off with playdates? So drop off your son for 1 hour once a week to one of his friend's place and then you look after his friend for 1 hour a week? That was you get one hour to either exercise, get organized, cook and freeze food. Something also that I do is that when stressed and don't really feel like cooking or eating I eat food...as opposed to eating a meal. So I eat cheese and an apple, toast with peanut butter, Greek yogurt with raspberries...and really watch what I eat. Something else is to figure out what is how many calories and then eat the same thing every day.... that way you don't have to worry about going over?
    Some suggestions... I hope it goes better for you...it's tough when you are in a bad situation and everything looks like it's too difficult...but if you take a step back perhaps you will be able to find a solution. Good luck!
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    How is weighing and looking up and logging everything I eat not complicated? I have a food scale and I used it. All the time. When I make recipes and weigh everything by the pound, how do I figure out how much a cup of that is worth? I found myself spending hours at work looking up and planning meals by the calories instead of actually working. And brand new or Craigslist doesn't matter. I have extra money. My son is in an accelerated program in a private, parochial school. He skipped kindergarten and went straight into first. He is strong willed and argumentative. But only with me. I know it's a problem that he doesn't listen, but nothing I have tried, included removal of privileges, taking away TV and computer time, spankings, whatever, has worked. So tell me how to make food weighing easy. And how to cook healthy that a child will also eat, because I can't afford to cook two meals at a time. I have no money even for used equipment and nowhere in my home to put it anyway. Unless I get rid of my bed or something. Which wouldn't help the lack of sleep.

I'm confused… you said you have extra money but then you said "I can't afford to cook two meals at a time" and "I have no money even for used equipment…"

Sounds like your child could potentially be on the autism spectrum based on his intelligence and behavioral problems. Have you ever had him evaluated? However, you said he only acts this way with you so maybe it's your parenting style. Taking away privileges, TV/computer time, spanking DOES NOT WORK. This will only make him act out more. You need to sit him down and talk to him. You need to explain to him why it is not appropriate for him to be acting the way he is.

I'm sure with the amount of stress you have from being a single parent, work, etc. you are DEFINITELY not eating the amount of calories you think you are eating. Until I started logging every single thing I put into my mouth, I was oblivious to the amount of calories I was consuming.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I was. Was. Not at the moment. Not 1200 but not 4000 either. I would say closer to 2000, maybe 2500 on a weekend day.

that is your problem you aren to accurately logging your food.

if you are guestimating you are probably eating more like 2500 during the week and 3000 on weekend.

You need to weight/measure/log everything.

You can lose weight without running/strength training, just eat in a calorie deficit...

I agree completely. Weight can fluctuate quite a bit from day to day. However even if we ignore the 10 pounds you gained over the past two weeks we have several years of data to look at. Clearly if you have not lost weight in 3 years, your average caloric deficit has not been where it needs to be to reach your goal.

Don't feel alone. Many people have been in your situation and vastly underestimated caloric consumption. See "Secret Eaters for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Eaters

In regards to the cost of "healthy food" it may be less than you think:
    http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/05/healthy-eating-costs-you-1-50-more-a-day/

Some simple (and free) suggestions to help you burn more calories:

1. Request a stand up desk at work:
    2. Walk more often instead of driving (even if it means just parking on the far side of the parking lot when shopping)
    3. Take the stairs instead of the elevator

Good luck!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I know it's a tough situation...I don't believe anybody is saying otherwise.

But let me say this. The battle is in your mind first and foremost. It seems to me that you're letting all these thing pile up on you until you feel utterly defeated.

I recommend you tackle one thing at a time, applying problem solving skills to each individual problem, until you're cleared the decks to lose the weight.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Wow.. I have been losing a lot of motivation lately, but after seeing a lot of OP's comments...er...excuses, Ive realized exactly what my problem is.. EXCUSES.

This is exactly the thread I needed to read this morning!
    GETTING OFF MY *kitten*!
  • starlaca
    starlaca Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are asking for help but made sure to list things you can't or aren't willing to do. You also seem very bitter and angry. I looked at your profile and you made a couple of comments that are so negative and judgmental. You said "No good man is going to be with someone who looks like she doesn't take care of herself" and under inspirations you said "all my ridiculously skinny friends who stay tiny without ever doing anything." REALLY? Do you really feel that way about men?? And do you really think all of your friends who are tiny don't have to work at it??

Maybe the first step you need to take is to start liking who you are INSIDE. Learn to love yourself. Once that happens you will be surprised at how everything else will fall into place. When that happens, you will WANT to listen to other's advice without getting so defensive. You will WANT to do all of the things you listed that you said you can't or don't have the time to do. Where there is a will there is a way.
  • cevalid
    Options
    Sorry for the long post, but I really hope you get to read it.

I'm not a single mother with a difficult child, but my mum was a single mother with 3 difficult children. And your initial post and responses sound EXACTLY like what my mum would say if I encouraged her to use mfp, weigh food etc etc. I heard your posts in my mothers voice when reading them. Which is why I'm responding.

What I will say is that different people have different 'I can cope' thresholds. I know one woman who has the workload of about 5 employees, has more than 10hr work days, still manages to make it to all social and work functions and excel career wise, also goes for a 60 min run EVERY DAY, goes to the gym and is a tiny size 6. She was my boss and I spent many 12 hour workdays with her in complete awe at the pace and constant 'switched on-ness' while I struggled to keep up. I was exhausted, and I had about 10% as much work to do nowhere near the same amount of responsibility.

Its an extreme example, but it taught me something. My threshold for maintaining a growing number of commitments and difficult situations (work/social/health) are much lower than some peoples, and likely much higher than others. Its just me, and I don't have the option of being anybody else. Someone on here might be able to find time to weigh their food while preparing meals for their six children, using after dinner time to help the kids with homework at the same time as doing a 2 hour workout. These people are going to struggle to understand you, and tell you that you are using excuses. You are going to feel attacked by them. Its pointless.

Still, there is so much you can do. Swap large dinner plates for an entree plate. Have one piece of toast rather than 2. This is a money saver, as well as helping you lose weight. Walk whenever you can, park further away and do squats during ad breaks. Make tiny changes that don't sap your time. and introduce them gradually. You already have so much on your plate, but I believe that you've already demonstrated that you can handle a lot being a single working mother.

Focus on the little things you can do, rather than the big things that you can't. And please, please don't lose weight to get a man. Because if you have to lose weight for him to be with you, he dosen't deserve you.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Oh those horrible calories! All their fault!

The most constructive thing to say to you is stop being in denial. You are clearly telling yourself porkies about portion sizes and calories just to make yourself feel better.

Just because you think you are on a diet, you are not entitled to weight loss.