Anybody else have a weighted hula hoop?

Options
2»

Replies

• kareeta
    kareeta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I too have a weighted hoop (the one with the nodules on the inside that sounds like a rattle when you use it!) I've been doing a couple of mins a day for the last three days since it arrived. I'm a bit bruised but looking forward to mastering the hoop. My issue seems to be hula-ing too fast? When I try and slow down I can't maintain the spin so I am going to have to practice a lot more. Enjoyable though
  • tennymcc
    Options
    What do we think the calorie burn rate is for hooping with the weighted hoops? I have a Danskin one as well - my mom gave it to me because she thought I needed it. Nice!
  • rockerspice
    Options
    I have a Datskin one too :) its 2.5 pounds, I used this website http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=319 because i also read on other sites that you lose 7 per minute. If it is more for the weight then woohoo for me. :)

37911183.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • xraychick84
    Options
    Just got a gold' s gym weighted hoop and have been using it for about 3 days. It is a little uncomfortable but I am not going to give up!! My question is has anyone used one of these hoops while wearing a waist trimmer belt? I am thinking it might take some of the "hurt" away. Any advice would be appreciated!!!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have a five pound hoop, it has foam and no knobs. I use it some, but I don't use it much. It is the first hoop I got. Then I took a hoop dance class and found that I got a better workout from a regular weighted hoop. I make my own and it isn't hard at all. I have them in all different sizes. Here is the web site I used to get started making hoops http://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html

Have fun and it is a great ab workout as well as a great cardio workout.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 pound hoop with the little knobs. The first time I did it, i couldn't believe how bad it hurt. Would describe it as being repeatedly punched in the stomach. Tried to use it again the next day and couldn't because it still hurt so bad. HOWEVER, now I hula for 10-20 mins a day and find it so easy (and painless) that I can't believe it is a workout. Actually searched for this board to see if I could find any info in actual benefits. Seems too easy to really be doing any good. I use it to warm up, and in between weight sets to stay in motion.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My friend bought one, & she put it together at my house while she was out here. And she told me to do it first.. Uh yeah. It was slamming my hips & hip bones BAD. Lol. I think I'm too bony for that thing.. I felt like I'd be bruised for sure, but I was actually surprised I didn't end up with any. I did it for about a minute, or two, & then quit.
  • fashionosack
    Options
    Shaking hula hoop is a whole body movement, the movement can achieve a slimming effect, but the movement of time must be long enough. Because shaking hula hoop exercise intensity is not very strong, but only prolong exercise time is continuous movement, reached the stage of aerobic exercise, so in order to consume too many calories and body fat storage.
  • JazyWayz
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but I got my weighted hoop 4 days ago (5lbs) and the bruising is CRAZY. My first thought was to get a tummy trimmer belt for extra padding. I just picks one up today and have it on right this minute. Lol. It does help, and I'm thinking it should whittle my tummy even faster since that's technically what the belt is for anyway. I'll let you know. Did you get one too? What were your results?
  • lucy0708
    lucy0708 Posts: 1
    Options
    I work at a gym and we have 3,4,and 5 lb weighted hula hoops and yes you do bruise the first couple of times but then after that it does not hurt anymore just start slow with like 1 or 2 minutes on each side and then work your way up. But don't ever do more than 10 minutes on each side.
  • lindairene47
    Options
    I bought a BCG brand 3 lb weighted hula hoop at Academy. I started out doing 100 rotations, adding 25 every day. Hope to be able to do 1,000 and keep it up.
  • shulula
    shulula Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have read that a weighted hula hoop is really good for toning love handles, has anyone noticed this? I am slowly getting abs from the gym but my stubborn love handles just won't budge! It runs in the family (my sisters have the same body shape) but am hoping some different exercises will help to shift them! X
  • fort0226
    fort0226 Posts: 1
    Options
    Well the first problem is that 3lbs is too much for a beginner! I learnt this because my 4 year old daughter bruised both her hips! I have a custom made weighted hoop for my height, weight and skill level! She's a beauty and what a difference! I can hoop for 2 full songs now :) and no bruises! My hoop is 1 pound....that doesn't sound like much but trust me, it's a real workout! go custome made my friends :) No more bruises :)

I forgot to mention that I have lost 11 pounds so far :) Trust me you will sweat with a 1 lbs :) You MUST play music :)
  • SSuwarato
    SSuwarato Posts: 1
    Options
    be careful with those heavy weighted ones, I was researching them and honestly they can cause plenty of damage to your kidneys and cause bladder infections. I would go with ones 2lb or less. just reg fitness ones, they don't need to be super heavy weighted