Help me to stop...

Options
It's 12:02 am where I am. That means it's a new day. Thank goodness! Yesterday marked day 10 of my unintentional binge-fest. I just want to be done. I'm looking for any advice. I'm begging for your helpful words. I don't want to do this anymore. I'm not even enjoying the food I'm eating anymore. I'm just eating to eat. How pathetic. I'm terrified to get on the scale. I'm scared to see how much damage I've done. It takes weeks to come off and I swear, hours to go on.

Replies

• sillybeth84
    Options
    Remember your goals and don't look back. Don't get on the scale to see the damage done. Get the junk out of the house. Think clearly about why you started this journey and pick it up again. Also what is really bothering you that you want to binge? Best of luck! You have done a fabulous job!!!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Get the book- eating Less by Gillian Riley. It's got some great strategies.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say pathetic. But I would say you might need some help psychologically and there's no shame in that. Have you considered a therapist, maybe someone who specializes in eating disorders? It may help.

Maybe take a few minutes to sit down and write your goals out, things you want to accomplish and let those be the focus that drives you. All the best.
  • Graphixxz
    Graphixxz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a few bags of popcorn kernels, some brown paper lunch bags and a roll of scotch tape. Fill with 1/4 cup of popcorn, close up with a bag with scotch tape and microwave for 3 minutes. Eat popcorn which is high in fiber to fill you up, low in calories and most importantly satisfies the need to crunch. Repeat as necessary, don't forget to floss. I would go as far as to try to remember everything I have eaten in the past 10 days and log it, there will be lots of holes and estimations but you may learn something that will help you in the past. Right the ship, 10 days is nothing compared to 10 weeks, 10 months or 10 years. Forgive yourself and don't forget to smile at yourself in the mirror, this has been helping me lately :)
  • cdwwench
    cdwwench Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First of all, you're not alone. Recognizing and asking for help is a huge step. Good for you for that!

"Maybe take a few minutes to sit down and write your goals out, things you want to accomplish and let those be the focus that drives you. All the best." by Stareyeyedcar is good along with talking to a professional.

This time of year, it is easy to feel like giving up, binging, forgetting your goals. Remember that each day you can make a choice to become the vision you have for yourself. This morning celebrate by making December 17th the first day you start again. It helps to have a meal plan to help make better choices for eating. Also, consider hiring a personal trainer. Even for a short time, one can help you regain focus and restate your fitness and wellness goals. If nothing else, start by drinking more water. Think about the triggers you have for binging. Do you have other ways to keep your hands busy so you're not tempted to use them to put food in your mouth?

You have done an amazing job. Don't beat yourself up for a fall. Tell yourself that you can for one day, and go from there.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to come back here for motivation when I need it. I'm somewhat happy to say that day instead if going over my calories by 2500, I only went over by 201. That's pretty good all things considered. I hope I make tomorrow even better.

I'm going to check out that book too. As far as talking to someone about eating disorders, I know I need to...I guess I'm just procrastinating. Maybe I'm a little scared.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to come back here for motivation when I need it. I'm somewhat happy to say that day instead if going over my calories by 2500, I only went over by 201. That's pretty good all things considered. I hope I make tomorrow even better.

I'm going to check out that book too. As far as talking to someone about eating disorders, I know I need to...I guess I'm just procrastinating. Maybe I'm a little scared.

Please know that you're not alone, first of all, in having an eating disorder (especially on this site!), nor in feeling fear and procrastination in dealing with it. Some of us have been there, some of us are there right now! Some can't admit it. You are, and that's the first step!!

In addition to talking to a therapist, I cannot encourage you enough to go onto the Overeaters Anonymous website and find a local chapter that meets near you. Many of us here have attended these meetings, and they changed our lives. You need support (real life, not just virtual like on these boards), you need encouragement, you need accountability, and you need TOOLS to combat this compulsive behavior. I've BEEN THERE. I know all too well! You cannot do this alone.

Face your fear, slay your procrastination, and just.....be willing to slip quietly into the back of an OA meeting. You don't have to talk to a single soul. You can just sit and listen. I think you'll be blown away by being surrounded by people who are EXACTLY like you - and you'll be amazed and encouraged by those who are maintaining and managing. It's so inspiring. And feels so good to not feel like the "weirdo" who can't control themselves for once. You're all in it together.

I hope you'll take the time to do this!! I'll even give you the link to locate a meeting. :) Best of luck, dear.

http://www.oa.org/membersgroups/find-a-meeting/

How to know if OA is for you:
    http://www.oa.org/newcomers/is-oa-for-you/
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Are You a Compulsive Overeater?

Do I eat when I’m not hungry, or not eat when my body needs nourishment?
    Do I go on eating binges for no apparent reason, sometimes eating until I’m stuffed or even feel sick?
    Do I have feelings of guilt, shame or embarrassment about my weight or the way I eat?
    Do I eat sensibly in front of others and then make up for it when I am alone?
    Is my eating affecting my health or the way I live my life?
    When my emotions are intense—whether positive or negative—do I find myself reaching for food?
    Do my eating behaviors make me or others unhappy?
    Have I ever used laxatives, vomiting, diuretics, excessive exercise, diet pills, shots or other medical interventions (including surgery) to try to control my weight?
    Do I fast or severely restrict my food intake to control my weight?
    Do I fantasize about how much better life would be if I were a different size or weight?
    Do I need to chew or have something in my mouth all the time: food, gum, mints, candies or beverages?
    Have I ever eaten food that is burned, frozen or spoiled; from containers in the grocery store; or out of the garbage?
    Are there certain foods I can’t stop eating after having the first bite?
    Have I lost weight with a diet or “period of control” only to be followed by bouts of uncontrolled eating and/or weight gain?
    Do I spend too much time thinking about food, arguing with myself about whether or what to eat, planning the next diet or exercise cure, or counting calories?
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with EDNEC, formerly EDNOS. What a mess. :(
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with EDNEC, formerly EDNOS. What a mess. :(
    Does this ring a bell? It falls into that category.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binge_eating_disorder
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Please check out Overeaters Anonymous for you physical and mental health. Listen to their podcasts / several cities have them online. Go to a meeting. You probably need OA more than this site right now.
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    If cash is tight/ don't worry. You can still go to OA. You will find people who have been where you are.
  • I can relate to the emotional issues with food. The advice the other posts have given is great, especially the OA thing. Ive been wondering if I should join a group too.

The main thing is to take things one step at a time. You are doing well. If you have a bad day, week or month, start afresh and try not to feel angry at yourself, your'e human and humans make mistakes.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    I can relate to the emotional issues with food. The advice the other posts have given is great, especially the OA thing. Ive been wondering if I should join a group too.

The main thing is to take things one step at a time. You are doing well. If you have a bad day, week or month, start afresh and try not to feel angry at yourself, your'e human and humans make mistakes.

"One step at a time" is one of the many OA mantras! :) See, you're acting like a member already. :) If you're wondering if you should join a group, maybe just go try one and see for yourself... You'll know right away. I did.
  • bawrichardson
    bawrichardson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up...everyday is your day to make a new start....keep pushing forward..

The holidays are rough stay focus...
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Stop eating?
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    How to have your Cake and your skinny jeans too by Josie Spinardi

Read this book! It really helped me!

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    While working on the psychological aspects of this, perhaps also track what you eat every day and see if there are any foods that trigger cravings for junk foods or cause the desire to just plain overeat everything. If so, get rid of those foods.

I can be the happiest, most well-adjusted human in the world, and if I start the day with a high carb meal of any kind I will rampage through the kitchen the rest of the day, and possibly the bakery and the pizza place, too.
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    While working on the psychological aspects of this, perhaps also track what you eat every day and see if there are any foods that trigger cravings for junk foods or cause the desire to just plain overeat everything. If so, get rid of those foods.

I can be the happiest, most well-adjusted human in the world, and if I start the day with a high carb meal of any kind I will rampage through the kitchen the rest of the day, and possibly the bakery and the pizza place, too.

A lot of people do find that carbs, white sugar, etc. do trigger their binges. One thing about OA is that you will learn we can all vary, but there are still many people with the same issues/ same trigger foods.
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up...everyday is your day to make a new start....keep pushing forward..

The holidays are rough stay focus...

10 days of a bingefest is not a good thing

can't keep blaming the holidays because there will always be a celebration, stress, etc. etc.

I think she needs some help. A lot of people diet, losing and gaining the same weight over and over. Organizations like Overeaters Anonymous have helped a lot of people reverse this trend. And the cost is very affordable - or free if funds are tight. (donations collected at each meeting).

OA suggests trying 6 meetings to see if it's the program for you. It's amazing how many people leave the group, then come back 50, 100 pounds heavier while they experimented with other diets, theories, books, etc.

The group support is awesome when your mind is open to it.