oatmeal... bleh

Options

Replies

• mellencamper
    Options
    I use regular quaker oats. Cook 1/2 c oats to almost 1 c water for 3 min in the microwave. I then add 1 sliced banana, 1 TB of walnuts, and 2 TB Cary's sugar free syrup along with a dash of nutmeg. It's really good and fills me up for the whole morning.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have tried it with soy milk and b/c soy milk is so thick, it makes the oatmeal very mushy. I usually boil some 2% milk with cinammon and brown sugar and then throw the oats in. I then add blueberries and/ or strawberries and Yummy!! I hope you enjoy.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have it made with water and cut up a banana quite small and throw it in. Then the banana caramelises in the oatmeal and it goes all yummy and soft and releases the natural sugars into the porridge. sooooo good
  • apetty21
    apetty21 Posts: 137
    Options
    Can't help you. Oatmeal is totally nasty to me. Raised on grits and won't touch oatmeal no matter how healthy they say it is.

Oh yeah. Grits (with eggs) will always beat out oatmeal. It's probably not as healthy but what southern food is?
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options
    chopped walnuts or pecan and some craisins! So yummy. You can add just about anything to it. i think tomorrow morning ill try it with a little bit of Almond milk! and throw in some pecans or soemthng like that.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I grew up topping plain oatmeal with *gasp* butter and sugar. Now, when I get a craving for that old taste, I use Promise Fat Free Butter Flavored Spread and a teaspoon of honey. Most of the time, though, I add a little extra water and a scoop of protein powder. If you try this, don't cook the protein powder. ;-) Protein powders come in so many flavors that you can do vanilla, chocolate, banana, strawberry, etc. and have a different flavor every day if you have enough different kinds of protein powder.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    My sister makes the best oatmeal.
    Loved this back in the day when I was eating pretty much whatever I wanted.

In the microwave.

old fashion oats
    skim or soy milk (depending on what's on hand)
    wheat germ
    dried cranberries
    and
    a bit brown sugar

yum, yum!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal made with water. I have to have it mixed with so much other stuff, you can't taste the oats anymore.

That said, my recipe for it has----

1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup sliced strawberries
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 tbsp cinnamon

And for just over 300 calories, you have a complete balanced meal that tastes nothing like the gritty gross nasty heap of crap that most people call oatmeal...cause I hate regular oatmeal and refuse to EVER cook it in just water. Blah! :flowerforyou:
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It helps to make with milk, I use almond milk for half of what directions call for water. If you love peanut butter you must try mixing peanut butter with stevia (or whatever sweetener you use) and a little bit of dark cocoa powder. It's like a peanut butter chocolate treat! Well, not exactly but it makes oatmeal more enjoyable!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I add real maple syrup......1/3 cup quick oats, 2/3 cup water. Microwave 2:30 min.....add 2 T. maple syrup! YUM! :)
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way!

I always use milk, recently switched out whole for 2% or almond milk.

Vanilla almond milk, banana, and a tablespoon or powdered sugar is AMAZING!

Frozen fruits: I mix them in w/ the uncooked oats and milk: microwave according to direction

a bit of syrup

PB and honey-I use crunchy PB-just don't use too much.

granola and yogurt bites

any flavor yogurt

cinn & brown sugar

Totally not for trying to watch cals but: 1 tbsp creamy PB, 1 tbsp fluff (while it's super hot), and a drizzle of chocolate syrup. YUM!

And if you really can't do the taste, stick it in a blender or food processor until a powder consistency, make yourself a fruit smoothie and add it in (this is especially good for lactating women, helped my increase my supply 10-fold!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Can't help you. Oatmeal is totally nasty to me. Raised on grits and won't touch oatmeal no matter how healthy they say it is.

UK here, just curious, what is "grits"
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Check for other types of oatmeal or hot cereal out there. Living in the Northwest US, we have Bob's Red Mill. Can be ordered online. They have different grains. One is apple cinnamon. It is wonderful and healthy. Also, muesli is good. I eat it warm or cold. Usually in my yoghurt.

When I have plain rolled oats, I like old fashioned on the stove. Even the microwave takes away some of the nutty flavor. Once water is boiling, add oats, turn down to low and walk away for 10 minutes.

In the summer, I put a peach in it the last 5 minutes. Now, I cook an apple with it the whole time and add a bit of cinnamon to flavor. Also use blueberries, banana, dried cranberries. Just measure everything to see how much I am eating.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    ok, today I tried oatmeal with cinnamon, brown sugar & bananas. Still not feeling it. It made it a lot better, but Ill have to try some of these other ideas. I didnt use milk, I used water... not a big milk fan but will have to try it
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I use steel cut oats. The texture is a lot different, and just tastes better, I think. I also add honey, raisins and walnuts. While it's cooking, I sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on it too. It's really good!!

L.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    I use steel cut oats. The texture is a lot different, and just tastes better, I think. I also add honey, raisins and walnuts. While it's cooking, I sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on it too. It's really good!!

L.

hmm, I didnt look at the different oats when I bought this... it says old fashioned oats, 100% natural & whole grain
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have old fashioned oats, sprinkle with a little cinnamon and stir then add raisins and honey!! DELICIOUS!!!!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Try adding some slices of banana or raisins into it, maybe an apple and some protein powder.

Be careful of the amount of fruit though. Especially raisins(very high in sugar.)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Almond milk and peanut butter....YUMM
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    UK here, just curious, what is "grits"

It's a cooked cereal like food that is served mostly in the Southern US. It was originally a Native American food made from broken parts of corn or hominy. Usually, it has the consistency of Cream of Wheat. Do you have Cream of Wheat in the UK to know what I'm comparing it to? Being that I'm in South Georgia, it's a common breakfast staple here, generally served with eggs, toast, and sausage or bacon. Some people salt it and eat it, others prefer plain. Personally, I like it with butter and sugar like I was taught to eat all hot cereals growing up. LOL