Christmas Party.. What do I do, How do I eat???

Options
It is that time of year for all the parties and goodies. Here is my advice on what to do for that party your suppose to attend and want to enjoy________The best thing to do is not starve yourself all day till the party, Eat a lite breakfast, lite lunch etc. Then when the party is going, you will not feel ravaged and won't over eat so much. Eat more proteins (meats) and Veggies), then allow yourself one or two very small deserts for it being a special occasion. Then tomorrow, eat normally, but eat lower sodium foods (the food at the party will most likely be full of sodium, which will add water weight gain.) by lowering sodium the next day and drinking plenty of water, you will wash that water weight back out of your system. Good Luck and enjoy the party :)

Replies

• deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Holidays can be a trying time as they all seem to center around food. I start by drinking extra water on the day itself. It helps keep me full so I wont munch. I also make sure there is a fruit/veggie tray so that while others are munching on chips & crackers, im eating apples & carrots etc.

Over the last year I have started using what I call the Tablespoon rule. 1 Tablespoon of everything and then if im still hungry I can always go back but often im full by then.

Merry Christmas Rainey. Thanks for being so supportive this year
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    the word party means....
    eat it all
    drink it all
    work it off
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options

Over the last year I have started using what I call the Tablespoon rule. 1 Tablespoon of everything and then if im still hungry I can always go back but often im full by then.

Great idea, I'm definitely going to take this on board!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake.

In order to enjoy Christmas, people must be thinking about their sodium levels?......

How about eating and then burning it off and not worrying about it too much?
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    some people have to worry about their sodium.

I would say be a mindful eater, couple a spoon full of the dishes, a slice of cake.. just dont go overboard and eat 2nds and 3rds and 10ths.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    eat anything you want. But...
    1. load it on your myfitnesspal first and check your calories.
    2. try to skip breakfast and eat a lite lunch. This creates a buffer so you can enjoy and not worry to much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm making brownies for christmas day... they come out at just short of 500 cals each... i make a tray of 9... i plan on eating at least 6 of those over the course of christmas day and quite frankly i dont care, its one day out of the year!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake.

In order to enjoy Christmas, people must be thinking about their sodium levels?......

How about eating and then burning it off and not worrying about it too much?

I never said to worry about the sodium at the Party, worry about it after the party and enjoy the Party
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm making brownies for christmas day... they come out at just short of 500 cals each... i make a tray of 9... i plan on eating at least 6 of those over the course of christmas day and quite frankly i dont care, its one day out of the year!

this..

its one day out of the whole year …eat what you want, enjoy it, log it, move on ...
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating anything that dares to come into my vision.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Well said - I am being extra careful in the run up to Christmas so that I can fully enjoy my Christmas party, lunch and any other social gatherings that come up.........as long as you don't throw in the towel and give up, one day really doesn't matter in the my lifelong commitment to health and fitness!
  • princess_tallulah
    Options
    It's not really one day though - I never find that it is, anyway. Tonight I'm baking cookies, tomorrow is drinks with friends, Thursday is my work Christmas party with three course meal, Friday is my boyfriend's work Christmas party with three course meal. PHEW!

But yeah, I'm doing low carb breakfast and lunches, eating and drinking merrily and then exercising when I get a chance. You only live once.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options

sounds good to me :smile: I really won't be worrying about my cals on christmas day either!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

sounds good to me :smile: I really won't be worrying about my cals on christmas day either!

they're chocolate peanut butter brownies....
  • dalguard
    Options
    Yeah, once I start making "it's only one day" exceptions, it turns out there are a lot of "one days", especially this time of year. I had Thanksgiving dinner 3 times this year. My offices has 2 Christmas parties, my BF's has 2, and then 2 family get-togethers. That's 9 days in about 6 weeks. They can't all be binges.

I like the idea of logging first. I estimate what I'd like to eat and (mostly) stick to the plan. I'll admit to using my phone to swap calories in and out when I see what's actually being served. The best part is I don't feel gross the next day.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Yeah, once I start making "it's only one day" exceptions, it turns out there are a lot of "one days", especially this time of year. I had Thanksgiving dinner 3 times this year. My offices has 2 Christmas parties, my BF's has 2, and then 2 family get-togethers. That's 9 days in about 6 weeks. They can't all be binges.

thats kind of the point... there is always an excuse to over eat if you want one... whether its holiday season or not.

you just have to choose not to.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Hell yeah :bigsmile:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I bring my food from from home and eat what I would eat anyway.

I think a lot of the holiday eating crisis is psychological. Do you HAVE to partake? No. Do you HAVE to eat the junk that's offered? No. You don't. You WANT to. In that case, eat and be happy.

I don't know why the added psychological pressure has to be faced.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    As a morbidly obese person, I have tried every trick in the book. For me saving the calories or starving all day made the party "All about the food" not socializing with friends. 10 yrs ago I stopped doing this and my wt became holiday neutral. I eat my regular meals and even have a light snack if the party is late. I bring a shrimp cocktail platter to the party. In The past I would anchor myself at the buffet now I grab a glass of wine and head off to the most active conversation (which often is far away from the food table). Eventually I will hear comments on the food-what is really tasty or new. Then I grab a few tbs of the the recommended bites and head back to the fun. For years I missed the best action at a party because I was trolling the buffet. Completely missed chances to meet new people, meet potential dates and steal kisses in dark corners.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I had my work Xmas party on Friday. I ate what was served, drank, was merry. It's just one day, have a good time.