Question for Women

Options
13»

Replies

• rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It will take practice as your body and feet aren't used to the shift of weight from being spread across your feet to just the balls and toes of your foot.
    Start with a lower heel or try wedges as others have suggested. Wear them around the house for a while to get used to them and then once you have found your inner high heeled goddess you will be ready to face the world in heels!
    Or just wear the heels for the main bit of the night and take some flats in your bag to change into!
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You cannot separate me from my heels!! First lesson, if they hurt in the store they will hurt for the rest of your life, shop around for a reasonably comfortable pair. Step 2~ wear them in like a good pair of hiking boots- I became a stiletto fundi by practising at home, I'd cook, do the dishes, go up and down the stairs watch tv in heels until it felt like second nature. I wear them because of the dramatic change in my posture, (it's a power trip) and because of the effect they have on men :blushing:

That said, if you really aren't a stiletto girl then do what comes naturally to you. Nothing is as sexy as being yourself.

heels are amazing!! but you have to practise :) be yourself---wearing them without practise in public wont serve the purpose-- and the purpose is the look the grace or whatever your purpose be.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    This is probably not needed/necessary. But from a Man's perspective, I could care less about heels :indifferent:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you have to practice. If you're going to be doing a lot of walking, dancing, standing, etc., here are some things I've learned:

1. Quality shoes are more comfortable. The difference in cushioning between a pair of Nine West heels and a pair of Giuseppe Zanotti heels is like night and day. You're better off owning one pair of expensive, high-quality, handmade shoes that you can wear for special occasions for the next twenty years than 10 pairs of cheap shoes that will destroy your feet and be thrown in the trash within a year.

2. A platform takes some of the pressure off the ball of your foot, so you can wear them longer. Full platforms are not particularly elegant, so if you're going to a wedding or some other formal-ish event, as opposed to going clubbing, look for a shoe with a thinner or hidden platform.

3. Don't be afraid of inserts. Not only will they make a shoe more comfortable for standing and walking, but they make shoes fit better when they become stretched out due to wear.

4. Fit is critical to comfort. If you're getting a closed-toe pump (whether pointed toe, almond toe, or round toe), walk around in them for a bit before you buy. If your heel slips out or your toes slide down to the front of the shoe, they're too big. If the next size down is too small, then you will need inserts to make the larger size fit properly. Without them, your toes will be numb from spending the evening crammed into the front of your shoe, you'll get blisters from the loose shoe constantly rubbing against your skin, and you'll be walking funny all night, trying to keep the shoes from slipping off your feet. If you're going to be wearing a sandal or peep-toe pump, your toes should not be hanging off the end of the shoe when you walk, and your heel should not be hanging off the back. Get the proper size, and use inserts to keep your feet from sliding around, which will cause straps and the edges of the upper to dig into your skin.

5. Get a pair of roll-up flats that you can carry in your purse for when the situation gets really dire and you cannot take another step in your heels. Rollasole and Dr. Scholl's make some nice basic black ones.

Look up Stiletto Hardware for all kind of inserts (ball and heel cushions, heel grips, and full insoles). Dr. Scholl's makes gel inserts, but the quality is terrible. Stiletto Hardware's inserts are made with a layer of memory foam, they're thicker than the inserts you can buy in supermarkets, and they're antibacterial and antifungal to diminish odor.
  • spaceyplum
    spaceyplum Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I also don't wear heels on a regular basis but I do like them on occasion since I am a girly girl who loves buying dresses and some of them just look better with a heel. I only really started wearing heels 5 years ago and I started with kitten heels which are a good way to learn balance without having the height to deal with plus they look super cute! If you want to do higher then I would definitely practice, it takes a while to get the hang of it. I suggest choosing a heel with a platform to it, I find that the balls of my feet don't hurt as much with them... I can't do straight up stilettos but I can rock a pair of 4" heels as long as they have a platform. Lastly, always carry a pair of those fold out sandals in your bag so you'll be set when your feet can't handle them anymore... LOL I I wouldn't recommend wearing heels on a regular basis but I don't see any harm in having a little fun with fashion.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Whatever your weight, the size of the heel seems to make the most difference. I usually don't have a problem walking in heels even when I was 100 lbs heavier but I have a high arch, my best friend sticks to flats and short heels because she's flat footed and they kill her feet. The best thing I can think of is to find out what hurts. If its your toes then the shoes may be too small or just don't fit correctly. If it's your arch then the heel may be too tall. You can also find supports for high heels that would help take some of the pressure off. If you have trouble in general just walking in them and they aren't painful then I would suggest a smaller heel until you learn to walk in them. Walking in stilettos is alot different that tennis shoes because a little heel to toe action may cause problems.

Good luck!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    wear them around the house.....hah, you will feel fabulous doing the housework.

i second the flats in your bag or if you have a big enough bag, even better, take your uggs with you :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Don't start with 6'' heels. Just think about it makes my feet hurt.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    As an avid lover of heels myself, I think a lot of this depends on the brand. If you buy cheap heels (I'm sure with some exceptions, before everyone goes bonkers), they tend to kill your feet. If you buy nicer heels & break them in properly (e.g. wear them out to dinner for 2 hours, not for a night of dancing on the vegas strip), you shouldn't have any issues.

I also second the notion of wearing platform shoes... it looks like you're taller & your legs are longer, but the arch doesn't have to be as high :)

Oh and I also second the notion of the flats/flip flops in the clutch, unless you live in Boston & its the winter now :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    You need to be used to wearing heels. Start low and work your way up if it's what you'd like to do again. I typically wear a 3" heel daily.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Increasing core strength really helps with walking in heels.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So, let me make sure I understand this correctly -- you went from never wearing heels to 6 inch stilettos and want to know if your feet hurt because of how much you weigh?

No.

Wearing that kind of heel is an art -- maybe even a sport. It takes practice. You have to have decent posture and be aware of pressure points. You also have to have a well made shoe that fits you properly - most people bypass this concern if the aesthetics is right but they shouldn't.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I've been to the Vegas strip multiple times, never worn a dress or heels there, and never been asked to leave.

I get wanting to wear something "girly" or dress up in a way that is outside of your normal style on occasion, but really saying that some places 'require' a dress and heels is a tad dramatic. If you want to wear heels, you've gotten plenty of good advice on how to learn to cope with the discomfort. But please don't wear heels just because you think you have to in order to reach a certain level of formal dress or sexiness or femininity.
  • Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    why would anyone ever HAVE to wear heels?

I HAVE to wear heels. Flat shoes hurt my lower back. I can wear tennis shoes but only for work outs. I tried to wear flats when I started working in a school but the pain was so great that I had to go back to wearing heels. Like the recent posts stated start out with a lower heel then work up to a higher heel. My sister loves to wear heels and can't walk at all in them so she practices in the house.

wow maybe you HAVE to wear heels because you only wear heels? it sounds to me like you have shortened your tendons and need to stretch them out. this happened to a friend of mine and she had to take an old shirt and pull on her toes with her legs out straight in front of her while sitting down. like she was trying to touch her toes, to help stretch her tendons out again. also some core excercises. I have sciatica and my back hurts regularly so much that I can barely walk. but if I do core workouts it doesn't hurt at all.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Practice. Also, don't wear cheap low quality shoes (not saying you did but a tip).
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I'm going to agree with others on this. Kitten heels and work your way up. Also the platform stilettos are more comfortable than straight stilettos (having worn both). Since you don't wear heels much, also take your time in the shoe store when trying to find that "perfect" shoe for the look you're going for (try on the shoes, walk around the store in them for a bit, this is experience because I bought some really cute heels that I didn't do that with and can't walk in them, and have caused two sprained ankles two different occasions because for me, I cannot walk in these heels, balance or something is off and I become a total klutz). Lastly, being in Vegas, there's no place on the strip that you can't get away with flats or the "fold up" ballet slipper (I've seen them available in a vending machine type thing at the Venetian for $20) and most people who are doing the "seeing" understand that the ones being "seen" want to be able to dance and have fun. There are plenty of cute shoes out there that are "high heels" and also wedges or even just a chunkier heel. The rest of it is "Practice makes perfect", get the heels enough ahead of the event that you can spend time wearing them in and wearing them around your house so you can practice and get comfortable in them. Still after several hours, they could still hurt your feet despite everything (for me and the high heels, it's usually the balls of my feet and I get inserts which help but don't completely keep the pain at bay).
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You cannot separate me from my heels!! First lesson, if they hurt in the store they will hurt for the rest of your life, shop around for a reasonably comfortable pair. Step 2~ wear them in like a good pair of hiking boots- I became a stiletto fundi by practising at home, I'd cook, do the dishes, go up and down the stairs watch tv in heels until it felt like second nature. I wear them because of the dramatic change in my posture, (it's a power trip) and because of the effect they have on men :blushing:

That said, if you really aren't a stiletto girl then do what comes naturally to you. Nothing is as sexy as being yourself.

Oh my, I love this! :flowerforyou: (I vacuum in my Betsey Johnson's when I'm feeling extravagant!)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    no it's because you wore 6" stilletos with no training.

there's no sense in me reinventing the wheel. tyra banks has a really good video online on how to wear and walk in heels. learn the master!

http://s2smagazine.com/7122/tyra-banks-shares-stiletto-secrets/
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Heels are terrible for your body for a number of reasons. However, they are still sexy and awesome. There IS a trick to wearing heels... like anything else, it's all about practice. Start with a mule or kitten heel (very small) and work your way up. SOME heels are just awful to wear, no matter how often you practice. Especially spike heels!! :) I have gradually been weaning off heels and into flats over time because they are truly terrible for your body. They just LOOK so damned good.

In case you want to back yourself up for NOT wearing them:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/high-heels-cause-muscle-damage-change-walk-even-after-taken-off/