Alcohol not fitting into healthy lifestyle

Options
Recently I have been under lots of pressure and stress. I have been dealing with it by drinking more :drinker: This seems to be sabotaging my fitness plans. I want to eat healthy but when I drink that goes out the window. I need a way to relieve stress other than drinking. If anyone knows of any stress relief that is a better, healthier option please fill me in on it.

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Exercise.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a great stress reliever for me. My workouts are generally about 1/2 hour lifting and 1/2 hour cardio and I feel great afterward, both physically and mentally.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Sex.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Sex.

Oooh... can I change my answer? :laugh:
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great, I am a little limited right now though. I broke my foot two months ago and it is just now healing. Maybe yoga would be a good option for me.
  • badgerdh
    badgerdh Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Exercise certainly does it for me...I use to smoke and drink often but I have found the gym with some music in my ears really relieves my stress. I still partake in alcohol, but not NEARLY as much as I use too.

Yea Sex works too
  • SpookyElectric
    SpookyElectric Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I'm in the habit of using alcohol to unwind too, but it really does rack up those calories!

I agree with excercise as being a great stress reliever, hoever, if it's opening a bottle of wine after a hard day, I got into the habit of drinking water or fruit juice from a wine glass instead of wine. That combined with getting into a good book or watching a bit of tv somehow seemed just as relaxing! AND I upped my water intake!

I cut out alcohol for 6 weeks and noticed the difference - after that, I now think twice about fetching the corkscrew after a hard day!
  • skinnygirly23
    Options
    Think reading a book or finding something to replace it is what I need. A healthy hobby is needed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can totally fit alcohol in your calories if you need it that much. But yeah, going for a walk or exercising can help too.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Maybe some weight lifting instead of cardio to stay off your foot.
  • skinnygirly23
    Options
    Def hard for me to workout like I want to. Before I was very active. Being idle isn't helping, I get bored and frustrated which makes a glass of wine sound really good. Maybe I need to get a bike?? Bicyclist always look in such good shape as I drive by lol
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Biking is great, replaced a jack and coke or two for me per night during some stressful times.
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great, I am a little limited right now though. I broke my foot two months ago and it is just now healing. Maybe yoga would be a good option for me.

Try an inverted yoga pose. An easy one is to situate your butt as close to a wall as possible with your legs straight up it resting. Then place your arms in a comfortable position (like resting on your belly). Inversions always do wonders for my stress level. Stay in that position as long as possible, then slowly lower your legs.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    drink all you want
    just work it off
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I had foot surgery and was back to using an exercise bike in 2 weeks. I didn't have any complications from it.
  • hazardouskys
    hazardouskys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Maybe lower the amount of calories in your alcohol? Vodka/water with lemon isn't too bad and you should only need a few. Other than that exercise is definitely great. Biking is good for burning calories and stress relief. If you aren't an outdoorsy type you could always buy a stationery bike (probably pretty cheap on craigslist).