Do I have an eating disorder?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't classify that as an eating disorder. It just sounds like you have a lack of self control and there might be a hidden reason for why you eat. Boredom, emotional issues, etc.

Binge eating disorder is more extreme than what you described, so I would rule that one out. If anything, try to get your self control into check and if that still doesn't work, talk to a therapist to see if there is a reason why. It might be a food addiction.
  • rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Have you considered checking out overeater anonymous groups (online or in person)?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I understand this isn't a medical community. But I'm sure as soon as I go see a professional, I'll have a "problem", if you know what I mean.

I just want to know, is this just me needing to work on impulse control and changing habits, or something that I do need to talk to a doctor about, beyond my physical health problems.

It could be a combination of a lot of things. Making a sandwich or chips and salsa, I would not classify that as a binge, eating the whole loaf of bread with a package of meat and the whole bag of chips and jar of salsa, yeah, thats a binge. How were you raised? Did your family life focus around food? Are you bored and that is why you eat? Some of us just like eating, I love to eat, and I eat a lot but what I do to try to keep from destroying my healthy is only keep healthy foods in my pantry.

Being healthy means a total lifestyle change for most of us. For us to be successful, we do it a little at a time instead of try to cut out everything at once. Say for instance if you want a sandwich, eat the contents of what you would put on it separately and do not eat the bread, then go from there. If all you do is set around and think about food when you are not eating then you may have an obsession of the mind, which is a food addiction, then you may want to seek help.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It seems like lack of impulse control... Not really a medical problem but it is a mentality you can change... I have found intuitive eating really helps... Focusing on what I am eating and why and what it does for me emotionally helps me stay in the present and not go back for more.. Also I have a rule to only eat at the table so there is no mindless snacking on the couch and next thing I know I've eaten my whole portion and don't feel satisfied... Lastly try pre-logging your meals... Even if I am hungry it helps me to know I have a meal planned in an hour or so and then I can better control my urge to immediatley feed my hunger...

There are lots of books and articles on intiutive eating I reccomend at least reading some of it... some of it is kinda out there but there are some good take aways.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Several different ways to approach this, but here are a few quick fixes you can apply with a little bit of planning.

1: Make sure you always eat food that fills you up: Lots of fiber and vegetables, low GI to keep your bloodsugar even, proteins to trigger the sense of being satisfied and full.

2: Get a hobby that keeps you busy - or at least keeps your hands busy. I know it's not very masculine to knit, but perhaps gaming, blogging, creating photography albums - anything that keeps you away from the fridge for at least 90 minutes after the main meal.

3: Start eating many small meals, or rather three larger and two-three smaller. What this really means is just that you take the consequence of your eating habit, and adjust the meals to fit. Perhaps you can make a little snack from the main meal and leave it in the fridge for when you get that urge?

4: Keep something very healthy ready to reach for in the fridge, so all you need to do is to reach out and grab what you need.

Apply as many or as few of these suggestions as you like - the important thing is to break the bad part of your habit. Good luck!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have had T1 diabetes 28 years & I find that happening to me also. Then my sugar will get high & other stuff. I recently started chewing Extra gum & it has helped me out. Good luck!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    IDK my man, you seem like a pretty normal guy to me. Your stalking around the pantry behavior when you're not hungry also seems pretty normal. Seems like you got here how we all got here, because we decided to eat for reasons other than the purposes of the cessation of hunger.

I think you need to develop some strategies to mitigate those situations from occurring.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! And also feel like it's a bit of an eating disorder. I'm not one to dwell on labels though, and instead, seek the cure. So I'm trying to get a grip on my eating with the "No S Diet". Google it and let me know what you think. It's basically, "no sweets, no seconds, and no snacks, except on S days (Sat, Sun, Special, Sick days). It's helping me put boundaries on my eating. Now, since I know I can't snack between meals, I find other things to do. I've taken up the hobby of working out for two minutes whenever I'm bored. LOL
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say, and not trying to be rude but it sounds more like a willpower issue then an eating disorder. Time to put the big boy pants on and make changes if thats what you want, which I think it is seeing how you have already lost an impressive amount of weight.

If you need support or a kick in the *kitten* then add me. I am also diabetic and have had to find my own way of dealing with compulsive eating.
  • ktavares8
    Options
    I just finished this awesome book called Made to Crave by Lysa Tuerkhuerst, it's about making healthy food and fitness choices. One of the things that I learned is this simple thought: we crave what we eat. If we get bored or upset (or have some other trigger) and the urge to eat something sweet, wander to the frig, or go check out the snacks in the break room is really strong (a craving) it's because we have eaten those things in the past. Everytime we eat in response to an emotion or a trigger we reinforce a habit, which begets a craving.

I can see this pattern repeatedly in my own life. Example: at one job I had my boss kept bowls and jars of peanut M&Ms around. I love plain M&Ms but peanut I could take or leave, and I ignored them for weeks. But one day when I was in his office I ate a handful. Then I came in later in the afternoon and had another. And before long every time I was bored, stressed or had a project I procrastinated I would walk in and take a handful of peanut M&Ms. Because they were there, available, my boss just kept refilling all the jars and bowls, and before long I was eating probably equivalent to a pack and a half of peanut M&Ms every day. If I tried to stop I would sit in my office fighting the urge to go in there all afternoon. It got so embarrassing I would go on my lunchbreak to the grocery store and buy a big bag, replace some of the ones I ate in his office, and eat the rest over a couple of days so I would stop eating his. The more I ate them in response to emotions, the stronger the craving became. After that guy finally moved on to another job I never craved peanut M&Ms again. I did something similar at a later job, when someone brought in Krispy Kreme doughnuts every Thursday - I would never stop and buy a doughnut at a store but once I started eating one every Thursday then I would sit in my cube being miserable, hoping that the KK doughnuts would all be eaten so I could concentrate on something else. I craved the doughnut simply because I had eaten it in the past. This is not an eating disorder, it's just a continuously reinforced habit.

The good news is that you can turn the Titanic around - if you start eating healthy foods and stop eating in response to triggers, you will gradually stop those cravings. You might even crave good foods - or at least look forward to certain healthy meals that are satisfying. For now get rid of all the foods in your house that are not healthy - because why expend energy trying not to eat them.? It's exhausting and discouraging and if they aren't there you have nothing to try to resist. Eventually when your cravings subside you may be able to have certain things in the house again - but sugar and carbohydrates are highly addictive, so it's easier not to start because your brain will quickly start the cravings again.