Am I starving myself?

Options
I just wanted to double check here. I am 287 pounds and I am trying to lose weight. I actually started out at 300 pounds. Over the last 3 weeks I've been eating consistently. Here is one typical day for me.

Breakfast:

Glucerna chocolate shake OR 1 hard boiled egg
fruit (Today I had 1/2 cup blueberries)
Frozen buttermilk waffles with 1/2 tablespoon of Country Crock butter with calcium

Lunch:

6 original sea salt triscuits
2 oz of colby jack cheese
red grapes
1/2 cup cucumber with skin
1/2 cup snap peas
(I change up the fruit and vegetable weekly so I don't get bored.)

Dinner:
I know this is odd, but for the last 2 weeks all I have been having is chicken with spinach. I crave it every night!
6 to 8 oz of chicken, no fat, no skin cooked in 1 tablespoon Country Crock butter with calcium
1 to 2 cups of fresh spinach cooked in 1/2 tablespoon of evoo
1/2 cup white onions
1/2 cup mushrooms
1 tablespoon minced garlic

Dinner Option # 2
Just 6 to 8 oz of chicken, no fat, no skin cooked in 1 tablespoon Country Crock butter with calcium
With a green on the side.

This is a typical day for me. I usually end up eating about 1250 to 1300 calories a day. I exercise 5 days a week for 30 minutes to an hour. I also do weight lifting with light weights.

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Why not use real butter instead of that trans fat laded Country Crock butter like stuff??
  • JessicaLSpindler
    Options
    Can I have a brand name so I know what to buy?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is no reason to eat that low, especially when you exercise. I would add another 300-400 calories on days you exercise. I can bet your BMR is already well above 1200 calories. Creating large deficits over time will lead to plateaus and more muscle loss ( even if protein is adequate and weight training occurs).

Also, don't be afraid to lift heavy. Lifting heavier will increase your strength, not bulk you up like the hulk.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Look at the back of the package, if it doesn't have transfat it's good.
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons you might be craving chicken for dinner is that you have absolutely no protein at lunch. Throw in some fish or red meat or something at lunch to bring that up, especially if you are working out so often.

Also, 1250-1300 cals is VERY low. TOO low. I am 5'4, 128lbs and in maintenance phase and I eat 1640 cals a day, more so on days I work out. When i was losing, I ate no less than 1450 cals a day. When you set up your profile and choose the number of pounds you want to lose per week, mfp will give you the number of cals to shoot for in a day. Try to stick to that number as close as possible with only a slight variation (by slight I mean +/- 100 cals or so). By eating too few calories, you can really screw up your metabolism.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i dont think so but it seems what you eat is very generic. I keep my breakfast and lunch generic mostly but for dinner I still eat what I used to eat smaller portions and try my best not to go back for 2nds unless its veggies...Do you plan on eating like this for the rest of your life?
  • jennegan1
    Options
    If your looking for some healthy tips on what to eat I can give you some
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on eating like this for the rest of your life?

this is a valid question
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yes you are. Eat more please. Use this to figure out how much. Choose 15% below TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different. What I noticed off the bat is that you aren't getting enough protein in your diet. So I would suggest starting there. For me, I've found that if I work out a lot, I need to eat more, but I can't go crazy no matter how much I exercise. So if I burn 1000 exercise calories, that doesn't mean I can still eat 2200 cals. My body just doesn't work that way. But I'll eat around 1600 balanced cals and let the deficit be what it is. (fyi, 5'6, 126 lbs).
  • jennegan1
    Options
    I just wanted to double check here. I am 287 pounds and I am trying to lose weight. I actually started out at 300 pounds. Over the last 3 weeks I've been eating consistently. Here is one typical day for me.

Breakfast:

Glucerna chocolate shake OR 1 hard boiled egg
    fruit (Today I had 1/2 cup blueberries)
    Frozen buttermilk waffles with 1/2 tablespoon of Country Crock butter with calcium

Lunch:

6 original sea salt triscuits
    2 oz of colby jack cheese
    red grapes
    1/2 cup cucumber with skin
    1/2 cup snap peas
    (I change up the fruit and vegetable weekly so I don't get bored.)

Dinner:
    I know this is odd, but for the last 2 weeks all I have been having is chicken with spinach. I crave it every night!
    6 to 8 oz of chicken, no fat, no skin cooked in 1 tablespoon Country Crock butter with calcium
    1 to 2 cups of fresh spinach cooked in 1/2 tablespoon of evoo
    1/2 cup white onions
    1/2 cup mushrooms
    1 tablespoon minced garlic

Dinner Option # 2
    Just 6 to 8 oz of chicken, no fat, no skin cooked in 1 tablespoon Country Crock butter with calcium
    With a green on the side.

This is a typical day for me. I usually end up eating about 1250 to 1300 calories a day. I exercise 5 days a week for 30 minutes to an hour. I also do weight lifting with light weights.

I kinda skipped over the part that you said all you are doing is craving chicken past 2 weeks.....Is that the only protein you eat and the only time you eat protein?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I think everyone is different. What I noticed off the bat is that you aren't getting enough protein in your diet. So I would suggest starting there. For me, I've found that if I work out a lot, I need to eat more, but I can't go crazy no matter how much I exercise. So if I burn 1000 exercise calories, that doesn't mean I can still eat 2200 cals. My body just doesn't work that way. But I'll eat around 1600 balanced cals and let the deficit be what it is. (fyi, 5'6, 126 lbs).

Just wanted to make a comment. The reason you think your body doesn't work like that, is because you are probably vastly over estimating exercise calories. If you goal is 1200 calories at sedentary and that includes a 500 calorie day deficit, that means your TDEE or maintenance calories were at 1700 calories. If you truly exercise and burn off 1000 calorie, then your TDEE would grow by that much and eating 2200 calories would keep you in a deficit. If you ate 2200 calories and you did not lose weight, the you are either under estimating calories in or over estimating calories out. It's how the math works. The questionable part for all people comes down to how you estimate calories in and out.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    It looks like you need more calories. Try fitting another meal in.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    starvation mode and all that is only really an issue when you are slightly overweight, or a healthy weight.
    As you are nearly 300lbs, i think you will be fine to create a large deficit as long as you get all your vitamins and feel good within yourself
  • samanthahix12
    Options
    Why not use real butter instead of that trans fat laded Country Crock butter like stuff??

That "butter like stuff" doesn't have trans fat in it. Look it up.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options

kerrygold or you can make your own...

2/3 cup cold heavy whipping cream
    1 1-cup canning jar with lid and ring

1.) Pour cream into the jar and screw on the lid. Shake jar until butter forms a soft lump, 15 to 20 minutes. Continue to shake until buttermilk separates out of the lump and the jar contains a solid lump of butter and liquid buttermilk.

2.)Pour contents of the jar into a fine mesh strainer and strain out the buttermilk, leaving the solid butter. Remove the lump of butter and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until needed.
  • JessicaLSpindler
    Options
    You're right. It doesn't. I checked. :)
  • JessicaLSpindler
    Options

1.) Pour cream into the jar and screw on the lid. Shake jar until butter forms a soft lump, 15 to 20 minutes. Continue to shake until buttermilk separates out of the lump and the jar contains a solid lump of butter and liquid buttermilk.

2.)Pour contents of the jar into a fine mesh strainer and strain out the buttermilk, leaving the solid butter. Remove the lump of butter and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until needed.

Thank you!!
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Thank you!!

no problem, i also have a few good Mead recipies to