the TRUTH about weightloss

Options

Replies

• ehimay10ins
    ehimay10ins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1. Inches/numbers are more important that the scale (I still havent accepted this, I lost 3% body fat with only losing 5 lbs, from what I understand this is unbelievable, my trainer couldnt believe the numbers)

2. I will always have issues with food and bring it back to my mother, but that doesnt mean I get to ignore them or use them as an excuse

3. Sometimes (like now, being pregnant) you have to put a hold on your weight issues and do what is best for your overall health. Although you have to not allow #2 to become your excuse to let it all go.

4. Taking care of yourself takes time.

5. Finding a balance in allowing your loved ones to have a say in your journey - ("honey are you sure you should eat that") - without getting offended or hurt that they are trying to help you.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    progress is never in a straight line
    go by tape measure rather than scale.
    take pictures every month to see overall progress despite the bumps in that progress (about every 3 or 4 months it shows)
    changing exercise routine every 8 to 12 weeks to keep motivated and make better progress (assuming trying to maintain muscle)
    slowly increase intake of food as fitness level improves (strength training)
    track everything carefully and refer to notes to make small changes if stalled
    embrace each success no matter how small rather than look at negatives
    think body fat% decrease rather than overall weight loss once within range for height
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    5. It's really ok to feel hungry and not eat.

Yes! Good one!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is genetically programmed to have a six-pack or an awesome back or fabulous legs; but we are all programmed to be healthy.

I have to always keep that in mind so I don't shoot down my progress because the person next to me looks better.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to me that so many people say no food is bad food, and that fast food is not the enemy, and other stuff like that. To me, it's important to eat nutritious food. Or else, I'd have a very hard time keeping to a low calorie count.

Every food contains nutrients. Some have more than others, and there are many cross-overs in terms of micro-nutrients. Eating a variety of food is good, but no single food item is bad when thinking in the context of your overall diet as a whole.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yes! Good one!

I have to disagree with this one. Being hungry isn't necessary.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    1. Losing weight is easy. Maintenance is a b*tch :tongue:

1st corollary: It's never too early to begin cultivating a good maintenance mindset, along with the skill set you'll need to be successful long term.

You'll need to settle into a sustainable exercise routine at some point anyway - at least as far as the amount of time you're willing to devote to it is concerned. And you'll have to learn to "eat normal" at some point anyway, and conditioning yourself to normal sized servings is a really tedious process if you're used to having a lot of super-sized variety in your diet. It's best to face both issues early in your diet when your enthusiasm and resolve are at their highest. The transition to maintenance will be a lot easier if you do.

With this, I agree. This is my mindset. I don't want to lose weight just to gain it back and have to lose it again. It is for this reason that I chose to spend time maintaining my weight without logging or weighing food. Learning to eat the correct amount of food is essential to lifelong maintenance.
  • georgieroadrunner
    Options
    This has been a most enjoyable thread and has really got me thinking. Thank you :smile:
  • Sildwan
    Options
    I always imagined I'd be happy with my body if I could go back to the way I looked in high school. My older, fatter self was always mad at my 15 year old self for not appreciating how good I thought (in hindsight) I looked back then. Now, despite my having lost all the weight and being back in high-school shape again, fitting all those clothes I'd never dreamed I'd wear again, I still have all the exact same old insecurities I did when I was 15! I was really disappointed as I was expecting everything to be wonderful once I reached my goal.

I've had to learn that, while my size may change, my shape will always stay roughly the same. Just because I've lost weight does not mean I'm supposed to automatically look like a celebrity or a model, I'll just look like a slimmer version of me - and I'm starting to learn that that is ok. The main lesson I guess I'm learning now is that confidence is not something you can gain just by losing weight (although it can definitely help), it's more like a choice you consciously decide to make.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    great thread, for the most part.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Even "normal" people have to watch what they eat.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    One more thing from me. Probably the most important thing. Never give up. You will have slip-ups. You will be upset at yourself at times. You may be discouraged. But, really, the key for me has been to just don't give up. Just keep on plugging away, even if you slip a little. You may tumble. Just catch yourself. Don't let yourself fall down that hill. Start climbing again. Every triumph, even after a failure ... maybe especially after a failure ... is important.
  • DavidSTC
    Options

Yes! Good one!

Honestly, with me, when I've lost weight, it's been when I was hungry. It's probably different with different people.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Yes! Good one!

Honestly, with me, when I've lost weight, it's been when I was hungry. It's probably different with different people.

One thing I've discovered is that there's a difference between "I'm hungry" and "I really want to eat something right now". :bigsmile:
  • TrishNWA
    Options
    I really like your post!!!
  • ahughes47129
    Options
    bump
  • DavidSTC
    Options

Yes! Good one!

One thing I've discovered is that there's a difference between "I'm hungry" and "I really want to eat something right now". :bigsmile:

I just know what my belly tells me. ;)
  • Little_Britches_Alpaca
    Options
    1. I love working out
    2. I hate the scale (it's not coming off right now)
    3. You will want to quit more than keep going!
  • BuManCuzBrah
    Options
    It's all just math.

When people stumble, it's because they're doing the math wrong.

Wishful thinking leads to bad math.

For my quote in my profile, I wrote: "Losing weight is easy math and hard work."

For me, the numbers don't lie. The numbers point the way to correct choices. I'm still working on the macro part of it, but I'm happy with the math I've done so far and the hard work is following behind.

The only math I enjoy is calorie counting and knitting measurements.

Whats your formula? Heres mine. Tell me if im wrong.

2900 calorie burn minimum.
    1300 calorie intake limit.

2900 (burn) - 1300 (intake) = 1600 (actual burn after intake)

1600 calorie burn = 1/2 pound burned

This is what im following so far. Never really reached this but im trying. (not far either)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Yep.

I'm with ya.