Having a hard time getting my minimum calories

Options
I am having a hard time getting the minimum suggested calorie intake. I am currently doing a low carb diet (no rice, pasta, bread/flour products or added sugar). I am also watching how much "processed" foods I eat. I am only eating fresh or frozen veggies and fresh meats and dairy products. I am eating 3 meals a day that generally consist of 200 - 300+ calories each and snacks on most days, but I cannot seem to make it to 1200 calories. On days I use my treadmill, it's even worse because of the calorie burn. I'm just not hungry, but I want to keep losing weight and not go into starvation mode. Any ideas or suggestions??

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Nuts, olive oil, avocados. . . these things will all get your calories up there. My favorite way to eat avocados is simply to sprinkle one with a little lime juice and dig in.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time getting the minimum suggested calorie intake. I am currently doing a low carb diet (no rice, pasta, bread/flour products or added sugar). I am also watching how much "processed" foods I eat. I am only eating fresh or frozen veggies and fresh meats and dairy products. I am eating 3 meals a day that generally consist of 200 - 300+ calories each and snacks on most days, but I cannot seem to make it to 1200 calories. On days I use my treadmill, it's even worse because of the calorie burn. I'm just not hungry, but I want to keep losing weight and not go into starvation mode. Any ideas or suggestions??

Firstly, starvation mode is mostly a myth so don't worry about it.

Secondly, how did you become overweight in the first place? It wasn't hard to eat too many calories then so why not add some of those foods back in to help you get to your calories? That's what a balanced diet is all about in my opinion.
  • AlFreebs
    AlFreebs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had this problem before too. Can you try adding ~100 cal snacks between meals like greek yogurt or fruit? Also, adding a protein shake at some point during the day helps a lot.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I don't see nuts and seeds in your diet. Nuts are especially helpful to get you up in calories. Add olive oil to your meals to help boost calories.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    OMG, if I could just have your un-consumed calories, hahaha! Eat your calories, peanut butter, nuts, meat or tuna if your not into meat, eggs, ;)
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Go for full fat dairy That should help with out taking up any more room in your stomach.
  • psfr
    psfr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you're truly not hungry, don't eat. You could be misjudging the amount of food you're already eating- it's easy to underestimate portion sizes. But I'd say one of the most basic principles of life is that food is fuel- eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If you are doing low carb, u need to add in some fats from - Olive oil, butter, avocado etc, that will easily up your calories
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

How on earth do you have a hard time meeting your minimum calories? If that were the case, you wouldn't be here as an overweight person attempting to lose it.

I don't understand these posts and find it hard to take them seriously.You can't get 1200 calories in you yet you stuffed yourself for years with who knows how many calories? Come on!
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You're body needs a well balanced diet and exercise...Eat some carbs doesn't have to be alot,but your body needs it.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Have a brownie, or a Mike's Hard Lemonade, or peanut butter. I had all 3 last night to use up my last 600 calories.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you're truly not hungry, don't eat. You could be misjudging the amount of food you're already eating- it's easy to underestimate portion sizes. But I'd say one of the most basic principles of life is that food is fuel- eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not.

Worst advice ever. Do not go by hunger!
    I am on the lower end of the carb spectrum because I am gluten free for medical reasons. I am often not hungry and I struggle to eat enough. This person is right in one regard: food is fuel. Eating should be a part of your training regime, especially if you are on a restrictive diet like you are. If you are working out then eating enough is very important. While starvation mode may be a myth, metabolic syndrome is NOT.

Others are right, add in fats. This means seeds, nuts, peanut butter, oils, avocado, etc. When you are done frying your meat, dress it with a tsp of sesame oil. Full fat dairy is another good way to get some calories. Can you add veggie based carbs back into your diet? I eat a lot of lentils and legumes which are more calorie dense. I also eat 30g of cashews for breakfast every morning- it has made a huge difference in helping me activate my hunger signals and getting enough protein and calories.
  • goldenchild71
    Options

How on earth do you have a hard time meeting your minimum calories? If that were the case, you wouldn't be here as an overweight person attempting to lose it.

I don't understand these posts and find it hard to take them seriously.You can't get 1200 calories in you yet you stuffed yourself for years with who knows how many calories? Come on!

Phaedra, I have discovered that my body does not handle carbs well. Even eating a small amount can cause my weight to fluctuate dramatically. I have been eating a low carb diet now for 7 weeks and have lost 17+ pounds. I just recently joined MFP looking for support. You can choose not to take me seriously, but I'm just looking help.
  • goldenchild71
    Options
    Thank you CorlissaEats. I think I will try that. I was eating a lot of natural, no sugar added peanut butter and avacados when I first started this 7 weeks ago, but I got tired of them. I will have to figure out creative ways to incorporate them. Thanks again, I think this will help. I have been trying to be meticulous about my journaling and this site makes it so much easier!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Not helpful. :huh:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Step 1...throw away your scale.

Go from there...
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There is no way crabs are doing that unless you over consume and getting backed up from it.Your body weight changes trough out the day thats why they say weigh yourself in the morning.Try organic bread or whole wheat just eat a couple a day your body really needs it.It will keep you healthy and regular.Don't focus so much on the scale it doesn't tell the story...My body weight changes alot during the day ... I eat balance I don't lose fast,but I lose healthy one pound every 2-3 weeks.I lost No lean muscle my depriving my body on a certain diet.I went from 30% body fat to 24% in a couple of months and only 8lbs,but I will not gain it back or set my self up for failer on restricting myself...Be realistic are you gonna eat the same things for the rest of your life?What ever you do you have to maintain when you reach your goal...Good luck weight says nothing and you can do some damage not eating a balanced diet.GOOD LUCK
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Secondly, how did you become overweight in the first place? It wasn't hard to eat too many calories then so why not add some of those foods back in to help you get to your calories? That's what a balanced diet is all about in my opinion.

This. Anywho, when I have extra calories I like to use them to treat myself to sweets since they fit in, but if you don't want to do that, try some nuts, oils/salad dressings, or avocados. Those are some examples of calorie rich/nutrient dense food.