I can't cook and need advice!

Options
It's not that I CANNOT cook, it's that I'm currently in a place where it just isn't working.

Here is the scenario:

I am currently living with my in-laws (which is stress-induced-eating enough) while we wait for our house to sell and to buy their house, and for them to move to the house they have already closed on. It's 4 adults and 2 children.

Both families are used to running their own households.

I am a good cook, love to cook, love food, and love to eat healthy, even though I also like not as healthy food. They are down home country folk who eat VERY meat-and-potatoes. The food is amazing and delicious, and PLENTIFUL. (Ex: breakfast will literally have a PILE of toast. I always thought that was an expression. It isn't.)

When we first moved in, I noticed that all of their knives were dull. I bought a cheap-o knife since all of my kitchen stuff is in storage, thinking it would last the month or so that we are living together. Well, they have only one cutting board, and it is glass. Needless to say, my knife dulled after two uses.

Okay, so I know that I could go buy another knife, a wooden cutting board, and a knife sharpener (all things that I have, btw, and really don't want to have duplicates of, but that's a secondary issue). However, not having the right equipment is a hindrance to cooking.

The biggest issue I feel that I really can't cook is because until they move, this is my in-laws house and nobody will eat what I cook, and my FIL comes home and IMMEDIATELY does all dishes, even if you need the sink to drain something, etc, etc..

My issue isn't breakfast or lunch, as I eat those at work. Dinner and snacks are a problem.

A couple of things I have done: kale salad with a dressing that you just mix together. Prepackaged salad mixes. Frozen veggies, which I love anyways because I'm generally too busy during the week to prep fresh ones.

Here's where I need help: I need your ideas, tried and true, on things that require little prep and would be healthy, filling, and preferably high in protein. Money isn't a huge issue, so if you are a fan of My Fit Foods or something, throw it out there.

I just need alternates to the cube steak, mashed taters, and candy DRAWER that are all calling my name.

Thanks!

Replies

• Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I live alone and here's my tried and true almost-no-prep dinner option. Soup in a mug. Get a microwavable mug, fill it with frozen veggies, canned beans, mushrooms/garlic/whatever else you want that doesn't need to be precooked (or precook some meat if you want the additional protein). Add broth/water and spices. Microwave for 5 minutes and you got soup!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Microwave sweet potatoes (or bake a bunch one evening or on the weekend and just reheat them in the microwave); top with canned chili, if you can find one that meets your criteria for healthy, or maybe you could make a batch yourself on the weekend.
    Frozen salmon burgers cook very quickly on top of the stove, with no prep
    Fresh kale or spinach can be sauteed with virtually no prep; add some garlic (if your ILs have a garlic press, you can avoid the knife issues), and toss in a little soft goat cheese or feta and sliced almonds at the end.
    Canned beans with steamed or sauteed greens and a poached egg is pretty quick and very tasty.
    In lieu of a trip to the candy drawer, maybe fresh or dried fruit, nuts, or nut butters would satisfy you?

Best of luck.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ugh I just had a response typed out and I lost it. I'll sum it up here.

I'm not sure I understand. Can't you just make a big salad and eat small portions of the other foods? You could use a colander to rinse your veggies all at once and then put them on the counter. As long as you shake it around a bit over the sink your counter shouldn't get wet, and if it does get a bit wet just wipe it off. My favorite salad is spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, pomegranate seeds feta goat cheese, a bit of slivered almonds or pecans with a balsamic vinaigrette.

Could you get some of your favorite steamable veggies, and prep them all in one day for the week? Cut them and portion them into bags. Then you could whip out your bag and steam them in the microwave.

As far as protein goes could you roast a whole chicken and eat that throughout the week? I pack our lunches and find having a few cuts of roast meat around to really make the job easy. Or if you have a crockpot you could have this roasting while you are at work. If your inlaws are already cooking meat this may offend them though.

And if money too isn't an issue why don't you just buy one or two decent knives (chances are you don't need a whole set) and a cutting board and then donate them? We move quite a lot and have done this for small items we can't do without.

I don't like most prepared dinners, but the Annies or Amys or something like that are very tasty. I also like homemade veggie/black bean burgers, which are high in protein.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yes I was thinking the same thing about the equipment. The knife sharpener for example could be a gift you could leave with your in laws if they want it. And I'm not sure I understand the issue with doing the dishes. If you give FIL a few minutes to do the dishes, can you then cook but now with a clean sink? You could also do the dishes before he arrives so he's all, now what do I do??

I cook beans and store em in the fridge and eat portions all week. Eggs cook fast, can have em for dinner if you want. Hah. Many of the simple things I can think of are breakfast items. Ever thought of a breakfast for dinner streak?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I live alone, but this may work for you too. I don't have time to cook most evenings, so every other weekend I pick out a couple of recipes and cook them up, portion them in containers and put them in the freezer. That way I don't have to put a lot of thought into what I'm going to have for dinner and it helps to pre plan.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do you already have a crock pot? I think this could save you, here. You can make something that will be 5 portions for you, or two things, if you want to switch off, and just freeze it. Cut the ingredients up in the morning, pop it in the slow cooker, wash the dishes before FIL comes home. Some ideas that I've made- lean pot roast with tons of veggies, chicken soup, chili, mushroom pork- there are some great recipes online. if you get a couple single serving containers, you can freeze and microwave when you are ready to eat. The family can choose to eat with you, if they like, if they don't, you just pop your food in the microwave, politely tell them "thank you so much for the offer, but I "accidentally" made too much of the meal that fits my meal plan, so it would be a shame to waste it!" and go on your merry way :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ugh...in laws....Ugh...sorry biased opinion lol
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Kinda confused, what prevents you from living in your house while it sells? People do that all the time.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Can you take one day and prepare your meals ahead of time then freeze them. Then all you would have to do is heat and eat. That way your only in the kitchen cooking once and you can get all your dishes done so your not overtaking the kitchen.

In a snap I love the gortons frozen fish that can be microwaved. I would prepare chicken cut it up eat it with microwaveable brown rice no pots no pans and some veggies. Premake some stir frys etc.. just regular baked chicken and veggies. ETC. that might help at least with some of the week.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Store roasted chicken is a lifesaver for me. When I get busy I pick one up for a quick dinner with some microwaved sweet potato and a steam in bag frozen vegetable. Cooked chilled shrimp from the store is another alternative with a nice salad mix and some grape tomatoes.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon steaks, pre-packaged, with a salad.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Long story on why we can't live in the house, but basically all of our stuff is already packed and I don't want to move it back, unpack, then pack AGAIN, move it AGAIN, then unpack AGAIN.

The issue with my FIL and dishes is that while they have a nice large kitchen, it because very small with 2 adults, a LARGE adult doing dishes, a toddler, and a dog all clamoring to do something. Add all that to the rest of the stress and I just want to walk away from the kitchen.

I guess I could just go buy another knife and cutting board and then cook, but I still almost feel like I would just be cooking for me, given that my in-laws won't eat much of what I cook, the kids prefer their food (fat, sugar, and salt taste GOOD....I don't blame them) and my husband doesn't want to offend (and he prefers their food, too....hell, so do I, but my issue is that I want my clothes to fit). So, now I'm stuck trying to cook healthy foods for me and then dinner for everyone else. That doesn't sound fun. I'm not a short order cook.

This is why your easy ideas are really helpful....I definitely like the sweet potato and chili idea. I'm not sure about the soup in a mug.....I'm thinking that doesn't sound like much food! I can do salads to an extent, I just have to buy the pre-prepped veggies.

Another issue is that even though they have a LARGE fridge and a SECOND full-size fridge, there are times where there literally isn't an room in either, so adding all of my extra foods can be a challenge. I think that the depression-era mentality is in both of them.....you will NEVER go hungry at their house!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Can you not just take over the kitchen when it is not in use by your In-Laws, cook a handful of dinner and put them in the fridge. Then just pull it out and microwave it when you want to eat? Pretty much doing the whole My Fit Foods deal but doing it yourself.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I second the sweet potato idea (but without the chili). Just microwave yourself the sweet potato, scoop out the middle and squish it up, add butter, and substitute that for their regular potato. It's crazy healthy, and I think just substituting that one thing will make a big difference for you. That and the packaged salad should get you through and shouldn't be too chaotic to accomplish. It takes about 15-20 minutes to microwave though, so if the microwave is in demand, maybe you want to do several at a time and find a corner of the fridge to store them to heat up at dinner time.

I can't think of anything else that might be practical with all that going on.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the soup in a mug.....I'm thinking that doesn't sound like much food!

lol trust me, with the right size "mug" it can be a whole meal! (I have stuffed myself in the past with just a mug of soup). Often when I do this, it's more solid food than broth. Some rice (you can get the kind that only has to be microwaved for 90 seconds, so no cooking involved, just put some in the mug with the soup), frozen veggies, precooked chicken or other protein like edemame. Last week I heated up a chicken soup with added edamame and some sunflower seeds, along with the bit of chicken and carrots that were in the soup, it was delicious and filling.

My soup mug holds more than 3 full cups of food/liquid. I've seen them at places like Target, and other home goods type places. I used to make a lot of meals this way, one bowl in the microwave. Easy prep, easy clean up.
  • jenniferarnold619
    Options
    I've yet to read everyone else's replies. So forgive me if I am repeating other sentiments.

I am from a meat and taters kind of family. It is hard to get people to be adventurous, especially since you are under their roof. And that too, I can relate. I moved in with my folks for two years after college, My only "win" was my mom works full time and doesn't care if she does the cooking and dad was grateful for whatever he got. haha

Might I suggest during the winter, make the crock pot/ slow cooker your buddy? There are a lot of great meal options that most people will love and embrace as comfort foods, but will be more calorie friendly. A couple of quick combos...

Chicken (any cut, skin or no skin) and canned spaghetti sauce (add veggies like bell pepper, onion and mushroom if desired). Cook on low all day. Serve on a bed of rice or noodles. And you could put yours on Spaghetti squash.

Any type of roast (beef, pork) with french onion soup or golden mushroom soup diluted with water and add veggies like sweet potatoes, onion, red skin potatoes, rutabagas, celery, carrots... cook on low all day. Pick a frozen veggie out of the freezer and steam them up. And have them some kind of bread to "sop" up the juice.

You can make soups and serve grilled cheese, cheese toast or pb &js along with it.

Lastly, get them turned onto roasted veggies. I take pretty much any veggie/ root veggie and will cut them into bite size pieces, toss with olive oil, salt and Italian herb. Lay them on a cookie sheet and let them bake at 350 until fork tender. You can also add the grated Parmesan cheese (from the jar) right at the end and let it toast on the veggies. It is always a hit with my friends and family.

Also, you can use the crock-pot to make your lunches more adventurous. You can cook your sweet potatoes in the crock-pot and eat them like baked potatoes. You can cook the spaghetti squash in the crock-pot in preparation for spaghetti night. I feel your pain on the limited fridge space. My mom is the WORLDS WORST about cleaning out the fridge. I accuse her of waiting for me to come over, because I will get frustrated and disgusted and pitch stuff and then wash the dishes. hahaha

I do think that if you find meals that fit the "healthy" bill for you but isn't too far fetched for them, you will get somewhere.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Or just use a smaller plate? or fill up half of a normal plate with salad/veggies? At least that's what I would do.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options

I guess I could just go buy another knife and cutting board and then cook, but I still almost feel like I would just be cooking for me, given that my in-laws won't eat much of what I cook, the kids prefer their food (fat, sugar, and salt taste GOOD....I don't blame them) and my husband doesn't want to offend (and he prefers their food, too....hell, so do I, but my issue is that I want my clothes to fit). So, now I'm stuck trying to cook healthy foods for me and then dinner for everyone else.

You can also try incorporating part of their meal and just bulking it up with healthy sides for yourself. You can have a small piece of meat and the make a bag of steamed veggies.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    How about canned tuna? I eat a bunch of canned tuna when my husband is on night shift and I just don't feel like cooking for me.
    Sometimes I make my own mayo and just add diced celery. Or mash up avocado, sprinkle with lime juice and chili powder and put it over salad with diced tomatoes. Then another vote for a micro sweet potato.

I make a lot of omelets with spinach and peppers too which is easy. Do you have a cookie sheet? you can roast up a bunch of vegetables for the week and then toss them in too.

(My in-laws are the same. Meat and potatoes, LARGE plates, larger portions.
    They also have the commercial-style fridge and freezer and are accustomed to sweets being like super decadent over-the-top AND chocolate covered. Every time we eat a meal there I feel like I'm going to pass out, I can't imagine living there.)
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My first thought is lentils and quinoa. They're easy to make a big batch of and keep for a while, plus you can make any number of dishes or salads by just adding different vegetables to them.

If you can set aside a couple of hours one day a week, you could cut up and prep almost everything and just mix and match throughout the week.