my (crockpot) dinner was delicious & so easy! Recipe inc. :)

Options
laceyfowler
laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
Hey guys! I am so very happy with my dinner tonight that I wanted to share it with you. It was incredibly flavorful and very satisfying... and I am definitely looking forward to eating the leftovers for the next two days!

I'm not sure what to call it... "Easy Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken" I guess?

Here are the ingredients (all approximated, if measured at all):
~ a pound of chicken breast portions, thawed
~ 8oz salsa verde (half a jar, typically... the kind made with tomatillos)
1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 bell peppers (your choice on colors - I used a red and a yellow this time, but green last time), chopped
salt
pepper
a few dashes cumin
garlic (freshly chopped, from a jar, powdered, whatever makes you happy)

Put all ingredients except the bell peppers into the crock pot. Cook on low for about 5-6hrs. Add bell peppers. Put lid back on and cook another 45min-hr or until the bell peppers look good. Take lid off and turn crock pot on high for a while if you want it to be a bit less runny.

If you're running late on adding the bell peppers, microwave them for a few minutes to get them partially cooked, and then add them to the mix in the crock pot.

I served this over a bed of rucola pretty much just because I had it in my fridge and it needed to be eaten in the next day or two, and... OMG soooo delicous! With or without the rucola, this is just so yummy! Oh, I tried a few bites with capers added (because I recently discovered that adding capers to Anything that's made in my crock pot seems to be delicious... I know... I'm weird...) and it was also phenomenal.

Just wanted to share the recipe idea... it took me maybe 10 minutes of prep time, maximum, and is just oh so delicious! Also, I think it's gluten free (check your choice of salsa verde) and is pretty paleo/primal. I'm not following any of those diets strictly, but I generally do not bring breads, rice, pastas, etc into my home, so lots of meats and veggies, as well as fruits, for me!

Let me know if you try the recipe and if you love it as much as I do... so yummy, and so healthy! (by healthy, I mean high protein, lotsa veggies...)

Enjoy!

~ Lacey

ps - this exact same recipe, except made with beef, is also super-wonderfully-delicous! :-) :-)

Replies

• daynation
    daynation Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. Thanks for passing along.
  • emmasage2u
    emmasage2u Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It sounds great, but I can't cook anything in my house with seeds or nuts in it, so I am going to try it with verde enchilada sauce. Thanks for sharing. I love slow cookers!:love::flowerforyou:
  • laceyfowler
    Options
    You're welcome :-)
  • laceyfowler
    Options
    For my job, I live out of hotels (no kitchen!) for months at a time... having a slow cooker has seriously saved me! I've been making most of my main meals with the crock pot... gotta love it!
    Emmasage2u, wow - the seeds and nuts even exands to the seeds in tomatoes? I hadn't even thought of that! I bet this recipe will be delicious with verde enchilada sauce, though :-) Hope it's great and you enjoy it!
  • marlenefowler
    marlenefowler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mmm gonna try it Lacey. I've used red salsa but don't know why I haven't tried verde. I do like green salsa.Thanks
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to try this! Thanks!
  • carrielynn62
    carrielynn62 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I'm going gluten free because of doctors orders and am having a hard time. I'm going to try this, it sounds yummy.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. Thanks for passing along.

This-thanks!!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • LKuderna
    LKuderna Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank You, can't wait to try it :)
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    bump, got a freezer full of goose and this sounds awesome for it!
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've got my version of this in my crockpot right now. I have shallots and onions, garlic, a can of Rotel tomatoes and chilis, a can of green chilis, and a can of green enchilada sauce, plus some not-so-great grape tomatoes I want to get rid of. It will be so tasty tonight--brrrrrrrrr.....
  • cherwood
    Options
    Works great with pork too!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    awesome, thanks. Im all about the crockpot and easy recipes!
  • Lor39
    Lor39 Posts: 17
    Options
    Bump :-)