PLEASE SOMEONE EXPLAIN AND HELP!!! I'M FREAKING OUT

Options
So for the past week I have noticed some weight gain but I have been super stressed for my final exams lately and plus it was almost that time of the month so I thought it made sense. Well that time is about over for me and I am taking finals currently and I don't feel very stressed about it anymore but I still am up by 11 pounds more than normal!!! I'm freaking out! Why?!?!?! I eat very healthily, this week I have been eating a little more because it is that time but I make sure everything is very healthy. I also have not gone to workouts but my workouts are mainly strength so I thought if anything I would lose some weight this week because I haven't been working my muscles as much. I have been drinking more water and tea but would that give 11 pounds????? Can someone explain what could possibly be happening to me and how to fix it???? I'm freaking out haha. Thanks.

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how 'healthy' you eat, if you eat over your maintenance calories, you will gain weight.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how 'healthy' you eat, if you eat over your maintenance calories, you will gain weight.

Exactly. Just try and stay within your calorie limit... even healthy food.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much.
  • 1dce
    1dce Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yep eating more and not working out... perfect storm
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm going out on a limb here and assume that you are not weighing/measuring your food and counting calories, are you?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it could be just about anything. If your cortisol levels are up, it may take some time to get them back to normal. If your sodium has been high or your potassium has been low, then it could be water retention. If your thyroid hormones are out of whack, then you might not be burning efficiently.

My suggestion is to just keep doing your regular diet and exercise habits, stay off the scale for a few weeks, and check in on it later. Just worrying about why you are not losing is enough mental stress to keep your cortisol levels up. If in a few weeks, you are still up on the scale, then recalculate your TDEE and consider making an adjustment to your daily calorie goal. After a few more weeks without results, then consider talking to your doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You are definitely eating too much.
  • abzleone
    abzleone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Alright thank you guys!!!:)
  • abzleone
    Options
    I am counting calories and I am still in my range I just have added one or two snacks to my day. I added nuts and half a bowl of soup.
  • abzleone
    Options
    But I understand that that may make a difference. Thanks!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You've gained 11 lbs. in a WEEK? That's water.

Though you better weigh those nuts, if you're calorie counting. Or count them out. If you have nuts daily and are 50% off on the amount, that adds up quickly.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Get a digital food scale. :bigsmile:
  • Jen8000
    Jen8000 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Did you ever have your thyroid checked? I had heard a lot about hypothyroid always thought too much was made of it. However, when I went for a physical a couple of years ago my TSH level was 16. They put me on meds for hypothyroid. I watch what I eat, I log it in on myfitnesspal.com and I try to get my 10,000 steps in a day. The scale crawls down a little at a time. This may not be your situation--but just wanted to share.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Though you better weigh those nuts, if you're calorie counting. Or count them out. If you have nuts daily and are 50% off on the amount, that adds up quickly.

Agreed that it's not actually real weight gain. 11 pounds in a week is impossible.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Agreed that it's not actually real weight gain. 11 pounds in a week is impossible.

I tend to disbelieve it's water unless there is something physically wrong.

It's not impossible to gain 11 pounds in a week if you eat 38,500 per week, or 5,500 over your TDEE each day. Believe me, it can be done.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

I tend to disbelieve it's water unless there is something physically wrong.

It's not impossible to gain 11 pounds in a week if you eat 38,500 per week, or 5,500 over your TDEE each day. Believe me, it can be done.
    Challenge excepted !!! lol...

Two things i read to make it water (well mostly)... 1. Very stressed due to finals, 2. TOM.

You might have some new fat due to lack of exercise, but 90% is probably water.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

But she says she's still eating 'within her range'.

I'm guessing that the "11 lbs. more than normal" means "more than some past weight that was not actually a week ago".
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I am counting calories and I am still in my range I just have added one or two snacks to my day. I added nuts and half a bowl of soup.

Still not saying if you weigh your food or not. If you're not, that bowl of soup or those nuts could add 200 calories to your diet easily.

Also, it's normal to gain weight before your period, but not 11 lbs.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a very big calorie surprise when you weigh/measure them out.....

Dumb question here, but are you using the same scale to weigh yourself that you had before? Some are off by quite a bit!
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Stop eating the nuts or make sure to weigh them. Soups also have a lot of sodium. Keep working out if you can (it'll help with the stress). Get plenty of sleep and water. And good luck on finals!