Losing 20 pounds or less

Options
We all know losing 15-20 pounds is hard, hard work...it doesn't come off in 2 months. So this is where I'm at...I've lost 4 pounds in 7 weeks :( and I still have ~15 to go. I'm eating very healthy, measuring/weighing everything, working out 5-6 times a week and, the hardest one, trying to have patience and not cry every single week when I don't lose weight. How did you all do it? I know I'm doing all the right stuff, it will just take some time for my body to do whatever it needs to do to lose the freaking weight. My jeans fit better, I'm sure I must've built some muscle...but the weight is still there!!!
How did you rev up your metabolism while still having the patience to wait and wait and wait?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    You go to bed, sleep and get up tomorrow to do it all over again. For months and months and months. And then pretty soon, you realize it is for the rest of your life if you like your weight loss. Congrats on the four pounds!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It sometimes takes years.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    4 pounds in 7 weeks is awesome :) ...I'm a numbers person, so in my mind, I put it this way....

that's more than .5 a pound per week - which is about as much as you want to lose per week when you have less than 25 or so pounds left to lose...

My suggestion - trust the math - be honest and carefully track how many calories you consume and how many calories you burn - If you want to lose 15 pounds, I'd suggest aiming for .5 lbs per week...that means burning an EXTRA 1750 calories than you consume...break that down for the whole week - that's only a 250 calorie deficit per day (which means, as I imagine you already know, that if you burn 1800 calories just living life, you can eat 1550 calories a day) Just be careful and honest about the numbers, and trust the math. And don't flip out if you weigh yourself and you're off by a pound or two every now and then...salt retains water for a while, etc, etc, - but in general you should never be far from your goal each week if you track everything.

And have grace with yourself, like you said, it takes time :) I know another 30 weeks seems long, but in 30 weeks, you'll be really glad you stuck with it, and a lot of the healthy changes you made will be easier habits by then :) Good luck!
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Something my husband tells me all the time when I am running short on patience: Take the time to appreciate and enjoy the process, and don't focus so much on the end result. Take it one day at a time and learn to enjoy the ride :flowerforyou:
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is normal progress for someone who has 20 pounds or less to lose.

It took me 4 and half months to lose 9 pounds. As frustrating as it can be its completely normal. Like someone else said, what you need to do is get up tomorrow and do the same thing all over again.
    You need to accept that this extra weight has been sitting there for a while, so its not going to come off instantly.

Keep working. You're on the right track.
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated too
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! If you're working out a lot and you haven't been doing it recently I'm sure some of it is water weight, your muscles retain more water when you start a new exercise routine. Honestly, don't get too hung up on the weight, especially if you're looking better! Drink more water, that could help. It will also just help your muscles in general. I refill my water bottle at least 4 times each day at work.

The biggest thing to do is KEEP GOING. You may stall a bit on the scale but you'll lose inches and that's where you can really see and feel the difference. 7 weeks is not a lot of time, give it at least another 5 weeks and I bet if you keep doing exactly what you're doing, you'll start seeing a bigger loss. Plus, best of all is you're not gaining!

I did the same as you, lost 30 pounds over 6 months, gained 10 back in 7 weeks, then lost it over 2 months, and now I'm evening out because I'm trying to gain muscle. I've basically only lost 25 pounds in a year, but my clothes fit better and I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life!

You can do it, just stick to it!