Should I listen to myself or to everyone around me?

Options
I had a sleepover with my girl friends last night, they all say I'm getting too thin. I only used to hear that from my mom so I didnt mind but now that more people are saying it , I dont know what to believe in. They say my boobs are way smaller and that I look like a stick already (I dont think so lol) Should I believe in what I see or to what everyone else says? Personally, I think I'm "just right" now, I'm an average but i wanna be leaner. I wanna get rid of my belly pooch. I workout, cardio and strength training 6x a week. I also eat 1200 cals + exercise calories.

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I had a sleepover with my girl friends last night, they all say I'm getting too thin. I only used to hear that from my mom so I didnt mind but now that more people are saying it , I dont know what to believe in. They say my boobs are way smaller and that I look like a stick already (I dont think so lol) Should I believe in what I see or to what everyone else says? Personally, I think I'm "just right" now, I'm an average but i wanna be leaner. I wanna get rid of my belly pooch. I workout, cardio and strength training 6x a week. I also eat 1200 cals + exercise calories.

well, what are your stats now?
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Height: 5'7
    Weight: 129
    Bust: 35
    Waist: 27
    Hips: 37

My tummy is wider than my hips so I am wanting to get rid of that last bit of love handles
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you're still wearing old clothes, it might make you look even thinner. solution?? shopping spree!!!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    begrudgers, looking good
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Your friends are jelly!
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    How do YOU feel at this weight? That's what is important.

Your stats seem reasonable -- it's hard to say, though, b/c everyone looks different.

I'm an inch taller than you and probably much, much older. I was once 138-140, and I was told I looked way too thin at that weight. So it's all relative. It's just how you feel. Funny, when people used to say that to me, I took it as a compliment. Now I see photos of myself from then and think -- ick. Scary bones sticking out. Not good, and not sustainable.

So I say listen to yourself but be realistic about what you can maintain, how you feel, and don't fall into the "thanks for calling me skinny" trap.
  • Morryarty
    Options
    Chase YOUR dreams :smile:
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i think you look great! i very often get from my family comments that i am too thin or "obsessed" with the gym. i brush it off because i know that they just are not a group of healthy people themselves and dont understand what it means to be "fit" in general. As long as you are not taking any extreme measures I say keep up the outstanding work!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm an inch taller than you and my hips and waist are an inch bigger than yours. My friends all think I'm too thin as well. I don't get to go for girly sleepovers though- I'm an old married mum!! But I think my friends comments are partly motivated by envy- they all seem to go on diets all the time, and yoyo significantly at times. I haven't made a song and dance about losing weight, just ate less and moved more, and I think my friends can't get to grips with that.

If your profile pic is your latest, you don't look overly thin to me. Slim, yes certainly, but that is a positive, not a negative.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    When I first lost weight everyone said I was getting to thin, and to this day some still say it. But I'm happy with how I look and if you are happy with your body then that's all that matters!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You look fine. Your friends are probably a bit envious. Even if they aren't, and are just genuinely concerned, keep in mind that a lot of people have a skewed perception of what a healthy weight really is. My BMI is 22, and people tell me that I'm skinny. I'm not skinny, I am, theoretically, completely average. But most people are overweight.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    also, we are almost the same in measurements - my waist is 26 inches but hips and bust are the same.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Listen to yourself.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    1) you look super

2) you look super
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    Thanks you guys :) I was just starting to get worried because I might be taking it too far or something. I know in myself that I am living a healthy lifestyle but with everybody starting to nag me about getting too thin I'm starting to think that maybe I have body image problems which might lead eventually to a disorder lol :laugh: but honestly, I believe I'm healthy. It's just that when people starts to get up on your a** you start to question yourself lol
  • focknfree
    focknfree Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Listen to yourself and stick to your plans! If you want to get toned, just do what it takes to get there. Maybe your friends are jealous. I don't know. Just keep listening to yourself.
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Frelling_Tralk Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    People have said to me that you look just right now/don't lose any more (I've lost around 12 pounds so far), and it really plays with your head because I know for a fact that at 144 pounds I am nowhere near my ideal weight and have at least 20 pounds to go to tone up my thighs and stomach. I don't know why people say that really cause I'm blatantly not that slim yet. Well no one has said that I'm too skinny, but they make comments like don't lose any more, and that's when I still have a roll of fat round my middle! I don't know if it's it guys worrying that you will lose your curves if you get really slim, people worrying that you may take it too far and not know when to stop, or what...
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised someone who lifts heavy hasn't come into this thread and recommended reducing the cardio and adding more weight to the weights to add muscle and reduce jiggle without becoming emaciated, so I'll just do it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Height: 5'7
    Weight: 129
    Bust: 35
    Waist: 27
    Hips: 37

My tummy is wider than my hips so I am wanting to get rid of that last bit of love handles

You're getting close to 'underweight' BMI now (assuming you're an adult). From your ticker, it looks like you want to lose about 10 lbs. more? That will put you at underweight. Your friends might know something we don't. I think you should listen to them, regardless of what you see in the mirror.
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    I'm surprised someone who lifts heavy hasn't come into this thread and recommended reducing the cardio and adding more weight to the weights to add muscle and reduce jiggle without becoming emaciated, so I'll just do it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The word jiggle is funny :laugh: anyway, I'm scared of adding weights. I might bulk up or something. I only use 5lbs dumbells. Not that I'm saying I'm not open to it, it's just that I dont know if I should do it or not. Personally, I enjoy strength training than cardio so if you'd say that I should decrease the cardio and be more into lifting then that would make me REALLY happy :))