Walden farms- wtf

Options
I see so many fitness junkies on Instagram using walden farms products (esp the syrup for protein pancakes) and claiming that it's great. I assume it's nowhere near the same as regular syrup, obviously, but it can't taste horrible if so many people swear by it. I have refused to try any WF products- because it doesn't freakin make sense to me. Zero calories. Zero fat. zero carbs. Zero protein. That means it's 100% chemical- how can so many fitness or health conscious people swear by it?! Am I missing something?!

I have been using Mrs Buttereworths sugar free syrup for years and love it. I know there's fake sugar in it, but I only make pancakes 1x a week, if that- so I'm not drowning in the fake crap daily, But WF syrup- I don't think I even want to try it. There HAS to be something majorly wrong with those products, no?

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    *Some* of their stuff isn't bad, you just need to read the ingredient list like you should every other food you buy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's made out of cellulose. My in-laws used it a LOT when they were doing HCG. A few things weren't terrible, but most of it just tasted like bitter disappointment.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Well since everything is 100% chemical, I guess chemicals just don't bother some of us.

I don't like most of the Walden Farms stuff anymore. I had tons of it though. The jellies, salad dressings and syrups are pretty alright. "Peanut spread", "mayonnaise", and "chocolate sauce" were grim though.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well since everything is 100% chemical, I guess chemicals just don't bother some of us.
    AMEN.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    stuff tastes disgusting!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I've found that eating food with calories satisfies my hunger the best. So I do that.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I tried a few of the salad dressings and just didn't care for them.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'd just imagine that aside from tasting different - it would be worse for our bodies than the products that at least have "normal" ingredients. Is that a wrong assumption?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'd just imagine that aside from tasting different - it would be worse for our bodies than the products that at least have "normal" ingredients. Is that a wrong assumption?
    I don't think there's any concrete scientific evidence to support that. But I've got nothing against people who choose not to use "diet" products either, as long as they don't tell me I'm wrong for choosing to use them.
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    Their products aren't actually zero-calorie. Below a certain threshold, they are allowed to call their product "zero calorie" without it actually being such. Having such a small serving size contributes. Their products contain vegetables and vinegar and stuff, which, on their own aren't zero calorie. Splenda is like that, too - there's actually a few calories in a teaspoon of Splenda, but it's low enough at a small enough serving that they don't have to count it for whatever reason.

Also, a lot of the stuff in there is fibrous or otherwise isn't digested (like the cellulose gum).
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Water is 100% chemical. Just sayin'
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I've never seen anything that convinced me that foods with "chemicals" are bad for you assuming you're getting your macros and micros met from the rest of your diet.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    That stuff scares me. I refuse to try it and I'm not usually one to freak about processed foods & chemicals, but that's even beyond my limits.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Before PB2 came out i used to mix walden farms no calorie PB with Better'N Peanut butter and regular PB to make something that tasted close to regular PB but 1/2 the calories and fat. Now I just use PB2 because its awesome.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The Walden Farms "peanut butter" is the worst thing I have ever tasted in my entire life. It was so bad it killed my appetite for the rest of the day. So, I guess you could lose weight that way?
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    when you're desperate, it happens... i would know because i use their products :blushing:

i'm a type of person who loves sauces and has to drench my food in them, idk why i'm just so used to it. especially with meat, i can never have my chicken or fish etc without some sort of sauce. the cals add up so i resort to consuming chemicals instead. oh well :drinker:

oh and yes i agree, some of their products are disgusting (peanut spread, marshmallow dip). i've seen mixed reviews on most of their things though. im in love with their pancake syrup while others despise it, some people love marshmallow dip and i cant even sniff it, etc.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The Walden Farms "peanut butter" is the worst thing I have ever tasted in my entire life. It was so bad it killed my appetite for the rest of the day. So, I guess you could lose weight that way?

Yes I agree. That is why i mentioned that i mixed it with Better'N peanut butter and regular pb. So basicly WF pb was just "filler". I dont remember the ratio, but it when mixed correctly it was undetectable to my taste buds. Anyway, like i said, now with PB2 i have no need to bother messing around when i need my PB&J sandwich fix.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Omg this. It was like vaguely peanut flavored gelatin. :sick:
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Everyone picks their poisons. And everyone starts somewhere. Why do you care where they start? Some of us would rather starve before we'd use the sugar-free commercial syrup you like to consume.

If you think non-maple syrup from a commercial food producer isn't filled with food science chemicals, you are sadly mistaken. But I get that everyone draws their own lines in the sand. And weight loss is no joke. That's why most of us stay fat. We all do what we can. And sometimes, we even do things that are unthinkable to others.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    maple trees make that precious golden sap for a reason...and there we go messing it up again :sad: