Dieting and exercising for 18 months and not lost weight!

Options

Replies

• tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Certainly what we eat has an enormous impact on our health and weight status. But did you know that when and how we eat also make a huge difference? Eating at the appropriate times throughout the day will help to maximize fat burning and keep hunger at bay.

Aim to eat every 3 to 4 hours. Most people eat three meals and one snack, while others may prefer four smaller meals; you're free to find the combination that works best for you. Timing your meals in this way will improve your fat loss by preventing excess insulin, allowing leptin to work its magic on appetite control and metabolism, and by balancing the stress hormone cortisol. You should also enjoy your meals at the same time every day.

Eat within 1 hour of rising. Your mom was also right when she told you breakfast was the most important meal of the day. When you skip breakfast, you lose its stimulating benefits on your metabolic rate. You also become more likely to eat unbalanced meals, more calories, and larger amounts of saturated fat throughout the day. Plenty of research shows that those of us who skip breakfast are actually heavier. Missing out on a healthy morning meal also increases stress hormones.

Never eat within 3 hours of bedtime. Eating too close to bedtime raises your body temperature, increases blood sugar and insulin, prevents the release of melatonin, and cuts down on growth hormone release. All these factors interfere with the quality of your sleep and the natural fat-burning benefits of a good night’s rest. Furthermore, sleep deprivation leads to more cravings and a greater likelihood of overeating the next day.

If you must eat before bed, opt for a light meal or snack that's high in protein and low in carbohydrates and fat, such as a protein shake made with berries and water, salad with grilled chicken, or a shrimp and veggie stir-fry.

Start the day with protein. For better appetite control throughout the day, try combining your starchy carbs at lunch, dinner, or after your workouts rather than at breakfast. Stick to eggs or whey protein smoothies for breakfast and you'll eat less throughout the day.

Always eat within 45 minutes of finishing your workout. This meal or snack is the only one of the day that should not contain much fat and should be higher in carbohydrates. For example, have a smoothie made with juice, fruit, and protein powder, but no flaxseeds or oil.

Never do your weight training on an empty stomach. You will need energy from your foods to perform optimally. You may, however, complete your cardio before eating if your session will be less than 30 minutes.

Focus on your food. Do not eat while you are doing anything else (i.e., watching TV, working, surfing on the computer, etc.). Focus on chewing your food and relaxing while you eat.

Eat protein first. Eat the protein on your plate first to help speed the signal to your brain that you are full.

Drink alcohol last. If you have alcohol or wine, do so after your meal to enhance the hormones involved in appetite control and digestion.

THIS WAS PULLED FROM THE WOMENS HEALTH MAG WEBPAGE.:ohwell:

I READ IT ON THE INTERNETZ, IT MUST BE TRUE!

If I could be bothered to find and copy and paste things I'm sure I could find a webpage that supports that it doesn't matter when you eat your calories etc. The thing is, research is not one sided and there are always people trumpeting for and against any given point. Therefore it is very important not to storm into a thread and PREACH statements, that, even intuitively, don't make that much sense. Think about it a wee bit, eh?

Women's health magazine is just one magazine, with writers with their own biases and sources, which may or may not be very credible. They are not THE LAW.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    3 Weight Risks of Too Many Refined Carbohydrates

January 17, 2011 Email This Article Print This Article

Refined Carbohydrates, labelled “bad” carbohydrates, contribute to weight gain and obesity in both adults and children. The refined carbs contribute to weight gain because they cause fluctuations in blood sugar, leading to craving more refined carbs and fatigue. Refined carbohydrates include white bread, pastries, white rice and sugary snacks such as sodas and candy. Many of these carbohydrates are also empty calories, such as candies, soda and chips, and are most likely high in fat and sugar. Here are three risks of eating too many refined carbohydrates.

1. High Glycemic Index (GI)

Foods that contain refined carbohydrates have a high glycemic index, which causes a quick rise and fall in blood sugar after eating. This leads to cravings for more refined carbohydrates and weight gain. It also leads to spikes in blood glucose. However, your body performs best when your blood sugar levels are kept constant. If your blood sugar drops too low, you will experience increased hunger and low energy. These are two things you do not want to happen if you’re trying to maintain or lose weight. Therefore, you should only eat refined carbohydrates in moderation. Choosing foods that have a low GI will help keep blood sugar levels constant, which will help with better, and healthier, weight loss results.

2. Empty Calories

Refined carbohydrates such as candy, soda, chips, pastries and white bread are empty calories because they give the body little, if any, nutrition. Eating these types of foods provides the body with loads of calories and leaves you feeling even more hungry and fatigued. Your body needs nutritious foods to work properly and if you’re not getting the proper nutrients, this can lead to weight gain. In extreme cases, it can also lead to other conditions, such as depression. If you have no energy, you can easily lack interest in physical activities, which ultimately leads to weight gain and obesity.

3. High in Fat and Sugar

Many of the refined carbohydrates such as cakes and pastries are high in sugar. Others such as chips, French fries and sandwiches are made with fattening ingredients. These foods being high in fat and sugar only adds to the problem of obesity and trouble maintaining a healthy weight. Many people eat fast foods because of busy lifestyles. These fast food meals are a combination of empty calories, refined carbs, and high in fat and sugar—which is, of course, a terrible combination for anyone wanting to lose weight.

Refined carbohydrates are fine in moderation. However, to avoid the risk of obesity, you have to get your carbohydrates from fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains. These good carbohydrates give your body energy because they provide vitamins, minerals and fiber. Nutritious carbohydrates have a low GI, reduce blood glucose spikes, give you important nutrients, and are naturally low in calories and fat. Combining complex carbohydrates with lean proteins and low fat products can help you maintain a healthy weight.

bananas have high GI

so dos corn

and melons

and pineapples

and carrots...
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't even know why I am arguing though based on the COMPLETE 360, MASSIVE CONTRADICTION between these two posts....
    she needs to cut out the bread.. and eat atleast 5 smaller and HEALTHIER meals a day!
    NO BREADS, PASTRIES, REFINED CARBS, WHITE RICE - EAT A BIG BREAKFAST, MEDIUM LUNCH AND SMALL DINNER AND EAT DINNER BEFORE 5. ANYTHING AND EVERTHING AFTER THAT WILL TURN TO FAT. eat more protein, lean meat, eggs, veg, plain yogurt etc.. whole wheat rice rather than white rice. rye bread is she must have bread. small changes - HUGE DIFFERENCE. really make your dinner the smallest meal of the day.. and just enough to not be hungry. fill it up with water / tea.
    different strokes for different folks. I cant see eating a plate of heavy food just an hour or so before you go to bed is healthy, but hey, if it works for you. .. good for you. there's millions of opinions out there of what works and what not... and its different for every single person... the basic still remains.... to loose weight... you have to put out more than you put in. indifferent smile

cals in vs. cals out, different strokes, EXCEPT FOR EVIL CARBS AND MAGIC FAT CREATION AFTER 5PM.

lolololololol
  • michaelbaba
    Options
    All I can think about is Step Brothers when they're in the Kitchen throwing oreos and flour all over the place :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I did not take the time to read all of the replies, but I read enough to see that you might want your mother to get a health care professionals advice.There may be underlying health issues that she needs to have ruled out as you are confident of her calorie intake and burn. What your mother is doing should result in weight loss.

Take advice on an internet forum for what it is.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Some of the replies........:huh:

thread-delivers.jpg
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I did not take the time to read all of the replies, but I read enough to see that you might want your mother to get a health care professionals advice.There may be underlying health issues that she needs to have ruled out as you are confident of her calorie intake and burn. What your mother is doing should result in weight loss.

Take advice on an internet forum for what it is.

Agreed. If she works out that much and eats that little, she should have been shedding lbs, all be it not healthily (fat, water, LBM), but dropping none the less.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Believe what you want, but everyone is different and the body works on chemistry not physics

Every once in a while, I share things I find on here with my husband. Things like, "Does wearing a bra make my breasts weigh less because they're being held up?" and "Where does the fat go? You pee it out, obviously."

This is a great one to add to my collection.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Believe what you want, but everyone is different and the body works on chemistry not physics
    Actually physics is the branch of science that deals with energy consumption. *How* your body produces/burns the energy is chemistry. The math behind your belief being comedically stupid is physics.

Here you go: http://science.howstuffworks.com/dictionary/physics-terms/calorie-info.htm

Pro tip, the law of thermodynamics... physics.

To the OP, the general sentiment of this thread seems fairly accurate. If she isn't hiding some eating from you (which seems likely, since it's often hard to admit overeating even to oneself) then seeing a doctor is probably a good idea. Her diet sounds horrible, both in terms of excessive calorie deficit and lack of adequate nutrients. I only weigh 117 lbs and I'd go totally bonkers just eating that for a day or two. Talking to a nutritionist might be a good idea.

If she's not tech savvy perhaps a small notebook in which she logs everything she eats? But it has to be everything or it won't help.

Ultimately if she's trying to lose the weight to please anybody other than herself she's much less likely to succeed. I wish her the best of luck, she's lucky to have family who love her and care about her health.
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    3 Weight Risks of Too Many Refined Carbohydrates

January 17, 2011 Email This Article Print This Article

Refined Carbohydrates, labelled “bad” carbohydrates, contribute to weight gain and obesity in both adults and children. The refined carbs contribute to weight gain because they cause fluctuations in blood sugar, leading to craving more refined carbs and fatigue. Refined carbohydrates include white bread, pastries, white rice and sugary snacks such as sodas and candy. Many of these carbohydrates are also empty calories, such as candies, soda and chips, and are most likely high in fat and sugar. Here are three risks of eating too many refined carbohydrates.

1. High Glycemic Index (GI)

Foods that contain refined carbohydrates have a high glycemic index, which causes a quick rise and fall in blood sugar after eating. This leads to cravings for more refined carbohydrates and weight gain. It also leads to spikes in blood glucose. However, your body performs best when your blood sugar levels are kept constant. If your blood sugar drops too low, you will experience increased hunger and low energy. These are two things you do not want to happen if you’re trying to maintain or lose weight. Therefore, you should only eat refined carbohydrates in moderation. Choosing foods that have a low GI will help keep blood sugar levels constant, which will help with better, and healthier, weight loss results.

2. Empty Calories

Refined carbohydrates such as candy, soda, chips, pastries and white bread are empty calories because they give the body little, if any, nutrition. Eating these types of foods provides the body with loads of calories and leaves you feeling even more hungry and fatigued. Your body needs nutritious foods to work properly and if you’re not getting the proper nutrients, this can lead to weight gain. In extreme cases, it can also lead to other conditions, such as depression. If you have no energy, you can easily lack interest in physical activities, which ultimately leads to weight gain and obesity.

3. High in Fat and Sugar

Many of the refined carbohydrates such as cakes and pastries are high in sugar. Others such as chips, French fries and sandwiches are made with fattening ingredients. These foods being high in fat and sugar only adds to the problem of obesity and trouble maintaining a healthy weight. Many people eat fast foods because of busy lifestyles. These fast food meals are a combination of empty calories, refined carbs, and high in fat and sugar—which is, of course, a terrible combination for anyone wanting to lose weight.

Refined carbohydrates are fine in moderation. However, to avoid the risk of obesity, you have to get your carbohydrates from fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains. These good carbohydrates give your body energy because they provide vitamins, minerals and fiber. Nutritious carbohydrates have a low GI, reduce blood glucose spikes, give you important nutrients, and are naturally low in calories and fat. Combining complex carbohydrates with lean proteins and low fat products can help you maintain a healthy weight.

i wouldnt say that refined carbs are empty carbs because they are nutritionally deficient. I actually never really eat my vegetables or fruits and according to MFP, i eat anywhere from 30-50 g of sugar in a day which is 1/3 of my total allotment of carbs. i get my fiber from fiber bars.
    All of these things you listed still follow the rule of not eating more calories than you need too. they are only tricks to eat less or to be fuller longer - only a form of restricting calories but you are perfectly capable of restricting via just watching what you eat. the high calories in snacks that come from fats or sugar doesnt matter as long as you dont go over your numbers at the end of the day.

its really best to just keep it simple. all of these things will for the most part, be discouraging because it is just more stuff you have to think about while you diet and make it more likely for a person too drop dieting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Soo to come back to the subject... Your mom is eating more than she says. She might not do it on purpose, but I'm guessing she's totally misjudging her calorie intake. Either that or she has a thyroid condition and needs to see a doctor.
  • DeenerN
    DeenerN Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    She may not be eating enough; or she is actually eating more than she thinks she is. She needs to measure and write everything down. Now for the other evil, hormones--they can thwart the most faithful; have her thyroid checked; along with adrenals and female hormones. I myself deal with thyroid problems and my weight loss is very slow; if I'm not in my calorie "sweet" spot my weight loss can come to a screeching halt or I can gain very easily. Hope this helps.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The broscience is strong in this thread
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    so much fail in one thread! :laugh:
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Your mother is eating much more than she thinks. She may not necessarily be deliberately lying to you, as is the implication so many people are making. I know I can easily eat two or three cookies-worth of dough when I'm baking, is she logging that? Little things add up.

Her daily caloric needs may also be lower than average for a woman her age/size/activity level. My mom is the opposite, she continues to lose weight at her estimated maintenance because her daily caloric needs are higher than average. TDEE calculators can only give you an estimate.
  • dxc92
    dxc92 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure some people just comment on topics, just to argue and tell people they are wrong. Zzzzzzzzz...
  • Leslieannegladd
    Options
    I think your Mom should start a MFP, also I don't feel that your Mom is eating enough food. I was in a similar situation and until I started using MFP daily and made sure I was being honest the weight is coming off, albeit slowly. I have a certified personal trainer and we have had many conversations on this very matter. You have to fuel your body. I have also found that eating a real good breakfast has helped as well. Something your Mom may consider is finding a yoga class, I am in my mid forties and have been doing yoga for almost a year and I can not begin to tell you the changes that have taken place. It truly is for your mind, body and soul. Most importantly is that your Mom does not give up, that she continues to work out and eat health. That will help her live a more active fullfilling life!!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Certainly what we eat has an enormous impact on our health and weight status. But did you know that when and how we eat also make a huge difference? Eating at the appropriate times throughout the day will help to maximize fat burning and keep hunger at bay.

Aim to eat every 3 to 4 hours. Most people eat three meals and one snack, while others may prefer four smaller meals; you're free to find the combination that works best for you. Timing your meals in this way will improve your fat loss by preventing excess insulin, allowing leptin to work its magic on appetite control and metabolism, and by balancing the stress hormone cortisol. You should also enjoy your meals at the same time every day.

Eat within 1 hour of rising. Your mom was also right when she told you breakfast was the most important meal of the day. When you skip breakfast, you lose its stimulating benefits on your metabolic rate. You also become more likely to eat unbalanced meals, more calories, and larger amounts of saturated fat throughout the day. Plenty of research shows that those of us who skip breakfast are actually heavier. Missing out on a healthy morning meal also increases stress hormones.

Never eat within 3 hours of bedtime. Eating too close to bedtime raises your body temperature, increases blood sugar and insulin, prevents the release of melatonin, and cuts down on growth hormone release. All these factors interfere with the quality of your sleep and the natural fat-burning benefits of a good night’s rest. Furthermore, sleep deprivation leads to more cravings and a greater likelihood of overeating the next day.

If you must eat before bed, opt for a light meal or snack that's high in protein and low in carbohydrates and fat, such as a protein shake made with berries and water, salad with grilled chicken, or a shrimp and veggie stir-fry.

Start the day with protein. For better appetite control throughout the day, try combining your starchy carbs at lunch, dinner, or after your workouts rather than at breakfast. Stick to eggs or whey protein smoothies for breakfast and you'll eat less throughout the day.

Always eat within 45 minutes of finishing your workout. This meal or snack is the only one of the day that should not contain much fat and should be higher in carbohydrates. For example, have a smoothie made with juice, fruit, and protein powder, but no flaxseeds or oil.

Never do your weight training on an empty stomach. You will need energy from your foods to perform optimally. You may, however, complete your cardio before eating if your session will be less than 30 minutes.

Focus on your food. Do not eat while you are doing anything else (i.e., watching TV, working, surfing on the computer, etc.). Focus on chewing your food and relaxing while you eat.

Eat protein first. Eat the protein on your plate first to help speed the signal to your brain that you are full.

Drink alcohol last. If you have alcohol or wine, do so after your meal to enhance the hormones involved in appetite control and digestion.

THIS WAS PULLED FROM THE WOMENS HEALTH MAG WEBPAGE.:ohwell:

Thanks but I'll stick to peer-reviewed scientific literature when it comes to nutrition.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    she needs to cut out the bread.. and eat atleast 5 smaller and HEALTHIER meals a day!
    NO BREADS, PASTRIES, REFINED CARBS, WHITE RICE - EAT A BIG BREAKFAST, MEDIUM LUNCH AND SMALL DINNER AND EAT DINNER BEFORE 5. ANYTHING AND EVERTHING AFTER THAT WILL TURN TO FAT. eat more protein, lean meat, eggs, veg, plain yogurt etc.. whole wheat rice rather than white rice. rye bread is she must have bread. small changes - HUGE DIFFERENCE. really make your dinner the smallest meal of the day.. and just enough to not be hungry. fill it up with water / tea.

That's comedy gold...

I mean, you were joking? Weren't you?

.....oh dear.