Water Pills....To try or not to try..

Options
So this may sound weird, but I actually have a cousin that tried it and she lost a good amount of weight. I'm not diabetic or have any edema issues, but i'm just wondering if I would take a water pill if it would help me loose weight more consistanly? I don't drink much high-sodium drinks. Although, My salty food intake isn't the greatest. IDK, didn't know if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions about it.

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Do you want to lose water or fat?
    Do you want to lose weight and keep it off?
    Do you want to do this the healthy way or a temporary fix?
    Do you want to take a pill that is not medically necessary?

Calorie deficit=weight loss (This is the best method, not water pills)
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    ^^ agreed. Water pills aren't going to help you lose fat. There is, unfortunately, no miracle pill or drug that's going to do that for you.
  • chelsiem87
    chelsiem87 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yes.. definitley wanna loose fat.. lol I"ve already lost close to 50 pounds and i'm already at a plateau... just feel like my water weight is really playing a role in it. I'm getting frustrated and dunno what else to try :cry:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Aww..I know that is frustrating. Have you tried drinking MORE water? Maybe that will help flush it out?
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    water weight will only fluctuate your actual weight by a few pounds not stop someone from continuing to loose fat so the water pill wont actually do anything healthy for you.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yes.. definitley wanna loose fat.. lol I"ve already lost close to 50 pounds and i'm already at a plateau... just feel like my water weight is really playing a role in it. I'm getting frustrated and dunno what else to try :cry:

Your body only keeps as much water as it needs. No need to flush it all out of your system. The water weight will just come back, because your body is doing its job. Dehydrating yourself will not end a plateau.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Water weight is playing zero role is fat loss. You can lose water and you may not look so bloated and smaller, and lighter. But what's the point? It's illusion.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Having been on water pills in the past unless you have a real medical reason to use them, DON'T. If you don't drink enough water even while taking the pills, they won't cause the fluid to leave unless you have a medical reason. They can cause cramping in the legs because of the potassium that also gets excreted. Let me tell you, they hurt. AS was said, drink more water and stay away from the processed prepackaged foods if possible. If you are exercising switch it up and if not find something to get you moving. You can do this without the pills.
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!!

As for the pills, I wouldnt bother with them to be honest. Shake things up in your diet and exercise routine to get off that plateau, your body loves change! If your doing cardio, introduce some weights in there too.

The best advice though? For me, lose the scales. Seriously. Leave them alone for about a month, stick to your diet and exercise for four weeks without looking at the scales. The motivation is that you know you could be looking at quite a large loss after four weeks of no scale action, you want to see huge results after four weeks and so you put that little but more into watching what you eat and exercising, it might be five extra minutes of a workout, but those five minutes add up!

I only weigh myself once a month now at my GP surgery as well as having my body fat measured. It adds a little excitement to my month, but Im a geek so it might not be the same for you haha.

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck on the rest of your journey xx

oooh and measuring tapes, get one if you dont, those bad boys dont lie when it comes to inch loss xx
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you opened your diary people could make some constructive suggestions.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Your cousin probably just thinks the water pills were helpful. Our bodies only carry so much 'spare' water. Once you remove that with a diuretic, there's no more losses possible and as soon as you stop the diuretic those 4-10 lbs. will come right back on. If you had a Biggest Loser type weigh-in coming up (and it was the finale), that's about the only time it'd make sense to bother with it. Or a red carpet event, maybe, or figure competition.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Have you adjusted your calorie intake downward to compensate for your 46lb loss? If not, do that.

If so, then double check you're weighing and measuring. If that checks out, then be patient (even though it's hard). The weight will come off.