Anybody not getting to see their siblings for the holidays.

Options

Replies

• Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Me....and long may that continue....we can't stand the sight of each other!!!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Military family here. Husband has been in the Marines 9 years. I've been married to him 5. We have been lucky, each Christmas he has been home with us while married (not the whole 9 years) and we have been able to make it home (even from Japan - it meant that much to me) He has not been home for the important stuff- like the birth of our daughter.

He has 2 brothers also Marines- his whole family is NEVER home together at Christmas or even special occasions. My daughters god father (marine) was on iphone when she was being baptized. When they were all together it was a party but it meant one of the three was deploying to Afgan/Iraq.

Most our family is in Ohio (both of us) we have a duty station which is close right now so we can go home as much as possible. But I know family's that have not spent Christmas with their extended family in 10 plus years...or military members in longer bc they are deployed. But I know this duty station will end soon and we will be gone and far again- and we will have to count our blessings that we are all still there for texts, face chatting, and even being stateside.

Being away from family is hard no matter the situation- but it can ALWAYS be worse. You could be overseas and someone trying to kill you.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    I don't get to see my youngest brother and youngest sister. Because I didn't invite them.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen all my siblings for the holidays in a very long time, maybe since the youngest was in high school 15 years ago. The only time we've all gotten together was my mother's funeral and my sister's wedding (and for the wedding my one brother didn't bring his wife or children).
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    We're kinda spread out too. I'm in upstate NY, sisters are in western and south central PA. So I'm driving to spend Christmas with one sister and her 2 adult kids 5 hrs away, then home for a few days, then driving 3 hrs to spend the New Years with my niece and her young family and my sister will be there too.

And then later in January I'll be driving 8 hrs for a long weekend where everyone can come - I think there will be about 23 of us this year. I'm the only one who isn't married and they all spend Christmas with their own families, so we try to get everyone together after Christmas. This year it's the last weekend in January, but in past years it's even been into March so everyone can come. So our Christmas season is sort of extended!

I feel incredibly lucky that my sisters are some of my best friends!
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    All of my family lives in Greece so I probably won't see them at all...again
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I get to not see my siblings for the holidays. I love them, but their mere presence seems to drive me up a wall. I wish them so well. :heart:
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My brother who passed away in July this year. :frown: Not going to a happy time.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My siblings I don't care about. I'd like to see my daughter.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I always hated the chaos of big family holidays, so I'm grateful that I live far enough away that I no longer have to participate. I like seeing my family, just on a smaller scale with less pressure to be "on" for 12 hours.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm not very close to my family, which is in all probability a good thing. Of my two siblings, one I actively avoid when home for the holidays. Long history of drug abuse and the inherent drama that goes along with it. The other sibling I can only handle in small doses.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I don't have any siblings.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    wish I did NOT get to see them. but I am,
    jerks that they are

Hah. This is kind of what I was thinking. I'm jealous that the OP has siblings she actually wants to see.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I never do. I have 7 sisters and 1 brother, and we are all too spread out and everyone has their own families and jobs and we just don't see eachother except at funerals - that seems to be the only thing people make time for. Same goes for my parents, they live in a different state so I won't see them either.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    wish I did NOT get to see them. but I am,
    jerks that they are

Hah. This is kind of what I was thinking. I'm jealous that the OP has siblings she actually wants to see.
    Yeah, I don't want to minimize the pain people feel over not being able to see siblings they miss. But a lot of people don't realize how much pain some people cause their families that would incite us to want to withdraw from them. I won't feed their parasitic needs anymore and I want nothing of them, so what purpose does it serve to be around them? *Can* I set appropriate boundaries and be in their presence? Probably. But the holidays are supposed to be fun, happy times, not exhausting times.
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    If I go to the jail I can visit my brother...but I won't.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I rarely see my brother. It doesn't really bother me. I have male friends in my life that have treated much more like a sister than he ever has. He is always invited out for our family christmas (my parents and I are extremely close) he just never comes.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My a**hole sister and her husband decided to move their family (my two handsome nephews) to Illinois two weeks before Christmas so I won't be seeing them. :sad:

Secretly hoping it doesn't work out there so they decide to come back to CO for good. I'm selfish.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I don't get to see my youngest brother and youngest sister. Because I didn't invite them.

Too funny.