Desperately need some support!

Options
Okay guys. My name is Tyra. I am 5'2, about 250 lbs... have PCOS and Hypothyroidism so it's already kind of hard for me to lose weight... and really easy for me to make excuses about my own terrible eating habits.

I really need to lose weight. I'm 21 and I've gained about 70 lbs since high school. I was up to 240 and lost 20... and then gained about 30. So now I'm about 250. I used to swim in high school so that's probably why I was able to maintain my weight. And now I'm not active (except for maybe being a cashier/running the service desk like a madman at Wal-Mart)

I've tried the whole low-cal thing and that's not for me. I then started Eat More 2 Weigh Less, etc. and that's a good plan and all... but right now, I just need to lose some so I can actually tie my own damn shoes without getting winded. It's not good. So I need you guys to get on me. Add me. Message me... whatever.

I know today is bad because I got the realization that I need to suck it up, stop sobbing in my own self-pity, and eat better AFTER I decided to eat a crap load of fried potatoes and a whole bag of corn. Yeah, they're vegetables... but then again I used a lot of oil and butter, too. Soooooo, get on me! I'm going to try my best to log everything because I desperately need it. I'm going to admit that it's getting hard for me to even tie my own shoes. I'm 250 lbs in a 5'2 body.

So, don't be afraid to add me. I know how to eat... I just need people to help me, motivate me, keep me on track, get on me, give me harsh criticism, etc.

My mom is supportive, but she doesn't know the first thing about "dieting" (I like to call it a lifestyle change)

For example: she won't buy me corn because it's a starch. She always tells me how after I eat this food I need to go on the elliptical for an hour, etc... she's trying to be supportive but she's kind of being a b*tch and going about it the wrong way.

I don't want her to baby me, but I also don't want her to make me hate myself and not want to exercise. So I need some more positive reinforcement.

Replies

• slip_sliding_away
    Options
    Hey Tyra,

I'm sorry that you're struggling! I have a lot of friends with PCOS and I know how hard it is for them too. Feel free to add my as a friend!

It sounds, btw, like you need to talk to your mom about positive ways she can help you- what you're describing sounds demeaning.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hey Tyra,

I have hypothyroidism and endometriosis, so I know what it is like to struggle with multiple health conditions. There may not be much you can do about PCOS (please excuse my ignorance of the condition), but you can drastically improve how you feel by getting on the correct medication and dosage for your underactive thyroid. Trust me, I was told everything from I had fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome to I had contracted hepatitis. I was on the wrong medication for me, and once I got that fixed, it was just insane how much better I felt.

If you are unable to lose weight despite healthy diet and exercise and are still having all the symptoms of an underactive thyroid (weight gain, muscle weakness, cold intolerance, constipation, etc.) then you are NOT optimally treated.

Super helpful group of folks with thyroid problems here on MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Lots of great information at:
    http://thyroid.about.com/
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Shoot me a friend request if you'd like.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,804 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me, im not in the same situation as you, but am a great friend and do my best to help you :)
    Im 24
    5'7"
    SW 172
    LW (4 months ago)136
    CW145
    I fell off track and gained 11 lbs back, but on my way to dropping it again

A thing I did when I started was have a cheat day once a week, a day where although I didnt get crazy, I took the day off and ait what I wanted and went a little over my calories, now I dont have them much since ive gotten used to eating less, I dont need cheat days much
  • donnymom
    donnymom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've struggled all my life with weight issues and family trying to help, but not really helping. It almost feels like they say things to upset me and sabotage my efforts by telling me what I can and cannot eat. You need to be strong and do this for yourself! Go to the library and get books about nutrition. Get recipes and try them out and practice portion control. Log everything and be honest with yourself. You would be surprised how much things add up! If you get off track, Don't beat yourself up. You are worth it!
  • tyralicious
    Options
    Hey Tyra,

I have hypothyroidism and endometriosis, so I know what it is like to struggle with multiple health conditions. There may not be much you can do about PCOS (please excuse my ignorance of the condition), but you can drastically improve how you feel by getting on the correct medication and dosage for your underactive thyroid. Trust me, I was told everything from I had fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome to I had contracted hepatitis. I was on the wrong medication for me, and once I got that fixed, it was just insane how much better I felt.

If you are unable to lose weight despite healthy diet and exercise and are still having all the symptoms of an underactive thyroid (weight gain, muscle weakness, cold intolerance, constipation, etc.) then you are NOT optimally treated.

Super helpful group of folks with thyroid problems here on MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Lots of great information at:
    http://thyroid.about.com/
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Shoot me a friend request if you'd like.

I added all of you so far.

And Yeah. I'm on Metformin, Birth Control, and I also take Levothyroxine. I've had my levels tested and even recently had an ultrasound on my thyroid because it was a little swollen.

Actually my tonsils are pretty swollen and have been for about 6 months off and on. And I don't know what's making my thyroid swollen... whether it's my tonsils or vise-versa.

I dunno. I just hate having so many health complications!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I will support anyone to the best of my abilities :):flowerforyou:
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You need exercise! Feel free to add me. :wink:
  • ladycat109
    ladycat109 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the problem of swelling with my thyroid, but my levels were ok. I ended up having it removed, so weight will always be an issue with me, although I am losing at the present. As a comrad in arms with thyroid issues, please feel free to add me as a friend. We all need the support of others while going through life's trials.
  • jenjen1369
    jenjen1369 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I saw your post and had to respond. Based on what I have read, it seems that you have a good idea what to do. But I have to tell you that the motivation must come from you. Other people can provide inspiration, but the motivation must come from you. It is a daily struggle for me. And really what it boils down to for me is that I am tired of looking at the body I have, when it can be so much more. It has taken me years to get to this point. I love myself and love my body and I want to do what is best for both of us. Don't focus on your perceived failures. Examine your motivation for making those choices and try to make better ones the next time. As they say, you never quit quitting. (former smoker too) It is never too late to start again. I hope this helps. All of this...the weight, the feelings, the eating...are about you. You can do it!