Home gym help

Options
Hello!
My boyfriend and I are interested in making a home gym out of our "dining room." We do not have a ton of space; it's about the size of a smaller bedroom. It's well ventilated and there is a mirror on the wall. We both have a similar fitness routine of warm-up (plank, push-ups), weight training, and cardio. So far the only thing we have for a home gym is a yoga mat.

What do you recommend? Prefer not to get a treadmill as they are huge and expensive, but a smaller, reasonably priced bike or elliptical will do.

Dumbbells? Resistance bands? Other suggestions?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The best investment I made for my home gym was the Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells. Although they seem pricey, they're cheaper than buying a whole set of separate dumbbells. The SelectTechs are compact adjustable dumbbells so it only takes up a little bit of space and you get a wide selection of weights (you can buy them up to 52lbs and up to, I think, 92lbs). I LOVE mine!

Other than dumbbells and a good mat the only other thing I use regularly are good workout DVDs but you don't even need those as there are plenty of online resources you can use!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    The best investment I made for my home gym was the Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells. Although they seem pricey, they're cheaper than buying a whole set of separate dumbbells. The SelectTechs are compact adjustable dumbbells so it only takes up a little bit of space and you get a wide selection of weights (you can buy them up to 52lbs and up to, I think, 92lbs). I LOVE mine!

Other than dumbbells and a good mat the only other thing I use regularly are good workout DVDs but you don't even need those as there are plenty of online resources you can use!

SelectTechs are at the top of my xmas list this year! Until someone graciously grants that wish (i.e. it will never happen unless I buy them for myself), I have 5 pairs of dumbbells ranging from 3lb to 20lb each, 1 medium-strength resistance band, one of those resistance bands that you can tie a knot it to make it a circle, a yoga mat, an HRM, and LOTS of DVDs. I use the guest bedroom as the "gym" and these are all the things I need. Someday I would like to get a barbell with plates and a bench but what I have has worked out well for me for the past year and a half.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    skip the bike/elliptical & save yourself the space to move around for cardio & money for a rainy day when you cant get outdoors to bike or walk/jog/run. all you need is a set of dumbells. the only other things you need are motivation & determination. good luck.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    If you already have bicycles, a bicycle resistance trainer is small and space saving. Allows all weather aerobic workout. Just bring your bike in from the garage and put it in the trainer. Ride.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Have a staircase handy? Run up and down those a few times, skip a step going up - that'll get your heart rate moving. Jumping jacks, mnt climbers as well. Static/Active moves like squat and holds for 10 secs will help build strength. Resistance bands are good, weights are too. Have a sturdy stool? Step ups, hold dumbbells in your hands. Stability ball, use to help stretch and some advanced core moves (elbow plank w/ball) Wall sits, elevated lunges….

Lots of stuff to do with minimal equipment.

Like the previous poster said…. motivation and determination are key to success!
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    squat rack would be a must if you plan on working out @ home
  • CivicSi71
    CivicSi71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Get a bench, some dumbells (http://www.powerblock.com/), ketltebells a padded mat for floor exercises, Perhaps some bands and a jump rope. If you have room and budget, a barbell set and squat rack is very nice, then a pulldown machine. The powerblock dumbells are fantastic because the are all the weight you need in a small space and that makes them cost adn space efficient. good luck!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Depending on the space, I recommend the following:
    * Power cage
    * Bench
    * Olympic bar
    * Minimum of 300 lbs of plates
    * Padding for the floor (no sense having a dropped plate destroy the floor)

Dumbbells are optional, really. I like cable machines (lat pulldown, etc) but they're not really necessary either.

If you don't mind waiting a bit hold off buying until the end of january through march - that's hunting season on Craigslist for fitness stuff from the new year resolution people who found out you actually have to USE the things you buy.
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I found a super cheap bench and barbell set on Craigslist, so I would definitely look there. Other equipment I have are a few sets of hand weights, a doorway pull up bar, some kettle bells, and a sandbag. I also have a jump rope, which I use for cardio along with bodyweight cardio. I get a good variety of workouts from just these few pieces.
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Depending on the space, I recommend the following:
    * Power cage
    * Bench
    * Olympic bar
    * Minimum of 300 lbs of plates
    * Padding for the floor (no sense having a dropped plate destroy the floor)

Dumbbells are optional, really. I like cable machines (lat pulldown, etc) but they're not really necessary either.

If you don't mind waiting a bit hold off buying until the end of january through march - that's hunting season on Craigslist for fitness stuff from the new year resolution people who found out you actually have to USE the things you buy.

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, and this is all you need for a home gym.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I bought a knock off suspension training setup and it is great. I use this when I workout at home. Body weight exercises are awesome and it can give you a great workout. The greater the angle, the greater the degree of difficulty. $40 on amazon.

For cardio warm up, I have a jump rope. $8 at Target. I do have high ceilings (at least 9') and if you have shorter ceilings the jump rope might not be a great idea.

I also have resistance bands ($30 on amazon) that I use and love. The suspension training, however, is on the top of the list right now of at home workouts that I really enjoy.

I can take my gym with me when I travel in less than a gallon size zip lock bag. No excuses when I am away from home,

For straight cardio workouts, I walk/jog outside. I live in SoCal so that is relatively easy for me to do weather wise.