Weight loss first then lift?

Options
Hey all. So here's the deal started 1/28/13 lost about 75 lbs by August then started stronglifts. I have had massive strength gains compared to where I started, I am losing inches consistently around my chest, waist and legs. I wear a body media armband and track my calories I have fluctuated 8lbs since September but have not lost weight just inches. The concern is I'm still really heavy at 310lbs should I just focus on losing weight or continue lifting and hope I will eventually start dropping weight again.

I always appreciate the advice and suggestions from the Mfp community

Replies

• Iconx15
    Options
    Yeah Dude
    I'm in the same boat as you
    Not sure what to do first
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight, then you are not in a caloric deficit. You are either over-logging your exercise or under-logging your food.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start lifting now. you can do both at the same time, many of us are.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I would lose then gain. Get down to something reasonable (like 15% BF) then bulk up, then cut for down for awesomeness.

You are probably replacing fat mass with muscle mass, which is fine, but isn't the most effective way to do this. But, if you are happy with what your doing... Keep doing it, but don't stop lifting, and re calculate your TDEE.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Continue lifting. Make sure you are accurately tracking and consistently eating at a deficit.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I would not stop lifting, but turn your attention to the kitchen. Are you logging accurately and are you measuring and weighing out all your food? The weight loss part of the equation comes down to a calorie deficit. That is where I would look first.... Best of Luck
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You can do both - continue lifting but eat at a calorie deficit which will allow you to retain most of your lean body mass.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting! Build muscle because muscle burn calories. AND watch the calories you're eating. Don't leave out cardio. That's where the real calorie burner is.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Strength training will help keep muscle loss to a minimum, so keep it if your goal is to have a leaner physique.
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ed first of all you are a superhero, been stalking you here and on your blog since I started. The calories are on point, if I'm guilty of anything it's eating less then I should, water is good and I'm not gaining just fluctuating the same few pounds. Body fat % went from 49 to 34 . I feel great and keep shrinking but just feel bewildered that I'm not losing like I was. I started doing the 5:2 fast diet this week tomorrow is my 2nd fast day I'm interested to see how it works
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I would not stop lifting, but turn your attention to the kitchen. Are you logging accurately and are you measuring and weighing out all your food? The weight loss part of the equation comes down to a calorie deficit. That is where I would look first.... Best of Luck

This. Also consider adding a little walking or other physical activity during your day. Increase the move about outside of the gym.
  • Keep lifting! Build muscle because muscle burn calories. AND watch the calories you're eating. Don't leave out cardio. That's where the real calorie burner is.

^This! :happy:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others, keep lifting, even though it's depressing as hell to do it and not really see any real result, it's really nice not to lose all your muscle in the process.
  • Iconx15
    Options
    If you're building and trying to gain muscle mass then you can't do both
    You can either cut weight or bulk on muscle
    It's not possible to both
    You could maintain muscle very slowly and lose weight slowly but it's not worth it
    You have to choose 1
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since lifting burns less than what you may have been doing previously with the time, may be burning less.

I wouldn't even worry about how accurate your logging is at this point. It's obviously not correct.

But you would appear to be eating at maintenance, no matter what your food diary says.

Just find a real 250 calories a day you can cut out of your diet.
    Skip something, make a couple meals smaller, ect.

Much easier to drop 250 calories, than find some exercise to increase by 250 calories daily on average.

Do that for a month and see what the loss it.
  • whhth
    whhth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump. Experiencing same thing
  • mgorham13
    Options

This. Also consider adding a little walking or other physical activity during your day. Increase the move about outside of the gym.

I am a golf pro by trade so my days are spent on my feet 12 hours a day five days a week. When I'm not doing that I'm chasing my 4 boys around and coaching.

I am really appreciating all the feedback so far , the general consensus is keep lifting pay extra careful attention the food intake and mix in a little more cardio.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    For one, some people can lose fat while gaining muscle... overfat newbies are probably the demographic most likely to be able to do this.

As for the OP eating at maintenance, look at what he said:

"Body fat % went from 49 to 34 . I feel great and keep shrinking but just feel bewildered that I'm not losing like I was. I started doing the 5:2 fast diet this week tomorrow is my 2nd fast day I'm interested to see how it works"

Ok, you don't have to be a math expert here to realize that if you dropped 15% body fat and stayed the same weight... you lost fat and you gained muscle. Focus on your body fat percentage and get your mind off the number on the scale. Most people track their weight, but what really matters is body fat percentage.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hey all. So here's the deal started 1/28/13 lost about 75 lbs by August then started stronglifts. I have had massive strength gains compared to where I started, I am losing inches consistently around my chest, waist and legs. I wear a body media armband and track my calories I have fluctuated 8lbs since September but have not lost weight just inches. The concern is I'm still really heavy at 310lbs should I just focus on losing weight or continue lifting and hope I will eventually start dropping weight again.

I always appreciate the advice and suggestions from the Mfp community

Would you rather stay the same pants size but weigh less? If you are losing inches, don't worry about the scale (which is unreliable and not suggested as a main way to view your progress). I think the real goal (aside from being healthy and fit) is to look good...not be a certain scale #.

Keep lifting and doing what you are doing. Review this link if you want, it's a great read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited for the stupid amount of typos and grammatical errors. arrgghhhhh.... :angry:
  • mgorham13
    Options
    @ parkscs. Thanks man, I like to track the body fat % my goal is 18% it just sucks shelling out to get it done properly but it's worth in IMO