is it possible to get rid of a big belly by just dieting?

Options
i am exercising but i am curious about if anyone got a flat belly just counting calories

Replies

• jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    First things first. You need to eat at a calorie deficit for your height and weight most of weight loss has to do with a change in calories. If you are just looking to get a flat belly then yea it will happen over time but also you can incorporate some type of strength training into your work outs to get a toned looking flat belly.......Another thing I looked at your diary is how is there 600 calories in one cup of rice?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    First things first. You need to eat at a calorie deficit for your height and weight most of weight loss has to do with a change in calories. If you are just looking to get a flat belly then yea it will happen over time but also you can incorporate some type of strength training into your work outs to get a toned looking flat belly.......Another thing I looked at your diary is how is there 600 calories in one cup of rice?

A serving of rice is 1/4c dry. A cup is 4 servings. 4 servings is 600 calories. Give or take.
  • jennegan1
    Options
    Ok thanks
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I have and currently my belly is frm losing weight... No strength training but my body has always been like that. Cardio like running helped...

However, I cannot stress enough how important diet, cardio, and strengths training is ideal and will have your abs looking the best it can be!
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My "exercising" is more adding more active time into my everyday life, not workout regimes. For example, instead of driving, I walk most places I go, when I drive, I park at the back of parking lots and walk the distance to the store, I climb stairs instead of using elevators, etc. etc. It's working thus far for me!
  • helpmeet2day
    helpmeet2day Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes. Don't eat before bed and you will wake up with a flat stomach. Your digestion shuts down quite a bit as you sleep so whatever you ate will sit there causing bloat the next morning. Works for me!:blushing:
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

A serving of rice is 1/4c dry. A cup is 4 servings. 4 servings is 600 calories. Give or take.

Did she really eat the equivalent of 1 cup of dry rice? That's a lot of rice in one sitting.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Without exercising, you'd get skinny-fat, so your belly may be flat, but also flabby.

Diet is more important than exercise for weight loss. It all comes down to calorie intake. If you exercise more, you get to eat more. And it's very hard to stick with the calorie limits needed to lose any weight if you're totally sedentary.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Rice swells about three times when cooked.
    if she ate one cup of cooked rice. that's a little over the calorie and nutrition
    count of of one serving.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Without exercising, you'd get skinny-fat, so your belly may be flat, but also flabby.

Diet is more important than exercise for weight loss. It all comes down to calorie intake. If you exercise more, you get to eat more. And it's very hard to stick with the calorie limits needed to lose any weight if you're totally sedentary.

Not necessarily.. I never had flabby stomach even after having a kid. It depends on your body type. I tend to have firm fat and not flabby..

But I have friends with my type of fat and flabby fat and you are right in the ones with flabby fat have to do more to snap back . My type of fat gives the illusion that I'm kind of toned! Lol...
  • jennegan1
    Options
    if she ate one cup of cooked rice. that's a little over the calorie and nutrition
    count of of one serving.

but she has listed one cup of dry rice which equaled 600 cals. I never seen that on any package so Im guessing its logged wrong here on MFP
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    count of of one serving.

but she has listed one cup of dry rice which equaled 600 cals. I never seen that on any package so Im guessing its logged wrong here on MFP

Agree, I always log it as 1 cup cooked rice, which is 205 calories. 1 cup of dry rice would make about 3 cups cooked.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    <
    Yep.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Not necessarily-My flat stomach is due to losing weight/restricting calories and is not flabby (I've also had three kids).
  • believer1988
    Options
    oops i meant to say 1 cup cooked, not dry!:blushing: thank you so much for pointing that out!!
  • jennegan1
    Options
    oops i meant to say 1 cup cooked, not dry!:blushing: thank you so much for pointing that out!!

welcome....but thats what will throw off your calorie goal for the day.....so if it comes in the package make sure to double check. Like the other day I had fage yogurt 2% it said 220 on here I looked at the package it was 190 so I had to find an entry on here that was corrected
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    Not sure how or why this became a thread about dry rice, but to answer the OPs question and to quote and 2nd another post.
    <
    Yep.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes. Don't eat before bed and you will wake up with a flat stomach. Your digestion shuts down quite a bit as you sleep so whatever you ate will sit there causing bloat the next morning. Works for me!:blushing:

Lolwhat?

OP, it depends. I'll never have a flat stomach because of loose skin, but it's definitely smaller already, and I can still lose 15ish lbs.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options

If you're bloated from eating the night before, just poop. I'm not sure what that has to do with fat accumulation on your torso. Food in your intestines does not equal fat on your belly.