Should I listen to myself or to everyone around me?

Options

Replies

• lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options

well, what are your stats now?

Height: 5'7
    Weight: 129
    Bust: 35
    Waist: 27
    Hips: 37

My tummy is wider than my hips so I am wanting to get rid of that last bit of love handles

You're getting close to 'underweight' BMI now (assuming you're an adult). From your ticker, it looks like you want to lose about 10 lbs. more? That will put you at underweight. Your friends might know something we don't. I think you should listen to them, regardless of what you see in the mirror.

Idk honestly. Lol. I'm quite disturbed by the belly fat. Not sure if it's necessary to lose 10lbs or what. My goal is to just get rid of the last bit of belly roll.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

The word jiggle is funny :laugh: anyway, I'm scared of adding weights. I might bulk up or something. I only use 5lbs dumbells. Not that I'm saying I'm not open to it, it's just that I dont know if I should do it or not. Personally, I enjoy strength training than cardio so if you'd say that I should decrease the cardio and be more into lifting then that would make me REALLY happy :))

You should decrease cardio and lift more. Better? You won't bulk up. I lift 3-4 times a week....do I look like a body builder? For what you want to achieve, heavy lifting is your best friend right now. You're already thin, you'll probably get results fairly quickly. Ditch the barbie dumbbells and pick up a barbell. :bigsmile:

And as far as the original question.....as long as you don't have major body image issues or history of an eating disorder, listen to yourself. (as long as you aren't tell yourself something stupid like eat 600 calories a day)
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Idk honestly. Lol. I'm quite disturbed by the belly fat. Not sure if it's necessary to lose 10lbs or what. My goal is to just get rid of the last bit of belly roll.

You look good, but could afford to lose 5-10 if thats your goal. Dont let others change your game plan, it will just take away your motivation.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

My tummy is wider than my hips so I am wanting to get rid of that last bit of love handles

You're getting close to 'underweight' BMI now (assuming you're an adult). From your ticker, it looks like you want to lose about 10 lbs. more? That will put you at underweight. Your friends might know something we don't. I think you should listen to them, regardless of what you see in the mirror.

I'd tend to agree. How about compromise and stay where you are because you said you like it anyways, and not worry about losing more, which seems to put you solidly into underweight? Meaning, keep with the plan, just up tiny bit of calories and focus on weight training, recomp that belly, add muscle, losing fat, while staying the same weight.
  • lolbemad
    Options
    I think that you look fine! Maybe just tone up with out losing weight

Personally, I am 5'8 when I look back at pictures of myself as a teen at 125 I personally think I look gross and way to skinny. I want to be around 140 but toned.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Losing another 9 lbs will put you on the verge of being underweight. I'd also ditch the barbie weights and use heavier resistance since 5 lbs isn't much for many large muscle exercises.Considering your present approach, you're likely losing a fair amount of lean mass with the fat mass. The result is you won't look as lean after weight loss compared to if you maintained lean mass.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    This is all about you. People do get annoyed though if you become obsessive about it and when you are with your girlfriends for a relaxing night talk about all the things you can or can't eat because you want to lose 10 pounds when you are in a healhty weight already.

Do some toning and worry less about the scale. But do what makes you happy as long as it's not an unhealthy obsession, etc. I think you look really good but I'm not you :)
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised someone who lifts heavy hasn't come into this thread and recommended reducing the cardio and adding more weight to the weights to add muscle and reduce jiggle without becoming emaciated, so I'll just do it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The word jiggle is funny :laugh: anyway, I'm scared of adding weights. I might bulk up or something. I only use 5lbs dumbells. Not that I'm saying I'm not open to it, it's just that I dont know if I should do it or not. Personally, I enjoy strength training than cardio so if you'd say that I should decrease the cardio and be more into lifting then that would make me REALLY happy :))

Not sure how using 5 lb. dumbbells is considered "strength training", but women do not produce enough testosterone naturally to build insane amounts of myself. You are already slim, heavy lifting will definitely add muscle where you need it and help you retain a womanly figure. Guys do love the curves, and strength training keeps you from getting "skinny fat" :)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Weights aren't going to make you bulky - you'll see some great pic examples of that if you browse through the success stories! I heartily recommend lifting and believe you'll be very happy with the changes it brings.

All the comments about jealousy are certainly possibilities. However, we don't know your friends. They may very well be sounding an alarm you *do* need to hear. Especially if you're hearing concern from different folks at different times. And kudos to you for reaching out for more opinions in case your perspective is beginning to skew - knowing that can happen shows great awareness on your part!

Your pic doesn't look as if you're skeletal, yet I can't jump on the "how you feel" bandwagon. I've seen friends with vertebrae sticking out from under their skin b/c they "felt great" being thinner (and thinner and thinner and thinner). It's scary, and hard to know what to say when you genuinely fear for someone, yet aren't trying to suggest they be your size.

Another commenter mentioned your BMI and where 10 lbs will put you, so I won't belabor that point. However, may I also recommend (assuming you have medical insurance) asking a doc for a strictly medical evaluation? Not because anything's wrong, just to get some unbiased perspective on where you are, and where you want to go, now that you're in the fine-tuning phase.

Regardless, super job on your loss - congratulations! You've put in a lot of hard work, and I sincerely wish you continued good health and success :-)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Listen to yourself.

What are your goals?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

None of us see our own bodies objectively. That's why it's good to use BMI as a rough guide. Google 'bmi calculator' and put your height and weight in and see where you fall in the under/normal/overweight categories.

If your "belly roll" is anything like the other belly rolls I've seen on young, thin girls, it's called skin and the normal subcutaneous fat needed to cover your organs in your abdomen. When you sit, it folds up. You can't diet it away.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

You should decrease cardio and lift more. Better? You won't bulk up. I lift 3-4 times a week....do I look like a body builder? For what you want to achieve, heavy lifting is your best friend right now. You're already thin, you'll probably get results fairly quickly. Ditch the barbie dumbbells and pick up a barbell. :bigsmile:

And as far as the original question.....as long as you don't have major body image issues or history of an eating disorder, listen to yourself. (as long as you aren't tell yourself something stupid like eat 600 calories a day)

+1
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think gaining some muscles would improve your physique more than continued fat loss.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

+1

Great Advice!! Lift Heavy and get Results!!! You wont bulk up unless you eat a surplus, heavy lifting is a great way to retain muscle while losing weight, thus lowering your bodyfat percentange which is what you need to concentrate on to lose the belly.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I value every single one of your inputs, thank you so much. Clearly I should ditch the barbie weights lol :)) Anyway, I'll start to incorporate heavier weights to my exercise routine. Would it be necessary though to decrease the cardio along with it? Much as I hate doing cardio, I love the effects that it brings.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I value every single one of your inputs, thank you so much. Clearly I should ditch the barbie weights lol :)) Anyway, I'll start to incorporate heavier weights to my exercise routine. Would it be necessary though to decrease the cardio along with it? Much as I hate doing cardio, I love the effects that it brings.

If you're doing cardio 6 times a week, it might be a bit much to do weights, too. My suggestion would be 3 days of heavy weights, and 2 days of cardio. You need rest days when you're lifting.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    you seem like a healthy young lady i wouldnt worry
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say you should eat more, but then I saw that you eat back your workout calories so you're totally fine.

Its a nasty disease called JEALOUSY and your friends have it. You're not underweight, you're lean and healthy.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Friends suck at encouragement.
    Do what you want.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights, and I'm not bulked up. You will love the results! And don't let your friends get you down. They are comparing you to what you used to look like (how they are used to seeing you). Of course you are smaller all over since you lost weight. You aren't underweight. And as long as you like the way you look, that's what matters. Lifting weights would be good for your physique. I also agree that young women tend to think they have a belly pooch, even when they have a flat tummy (when their belly just pushes out against their tight jeans a tiny bit when relaxing in a chair).