Pink Slime Gets a New Name

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    First people complain that we don't use all of the animal. Then we use all of the animal, and they complain about the aesthetics of it. And the complaints invariably come from people with zero experience in actually growing/raising food.

This stuff is simply an extension of what humans have done to maximize use of livestock animals since we started keeping livestock animals.

Excellent post!!
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Most carcasses are washed during processing - it's a safety thing.

Super scary "Ammonia Hydroxide" is just ammonia in water.

We probably need chemistry to be mandatory in high school and these "shocking" revelations would get a lot less press.
    Ok, you work on beefing up the science education and I'll work on sourcing food that doesn't need to go through an ammonia bath.

Erm...you might want to take your beef (see what I did there?) up with the USDA since they are the ones who require the carcasses to be washed. Which is a very good thing btw, because of cow poop. Cow poop has all kind of nasty stuff in it like e.coli in very high numbers.

ETA: Not sure if it is the USDA or the FDA who requires it, but nonetheless.
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Connective tissue is loaded with glucosamine and chondroitin. Pink slime is extremely nutritious. Why do we have factory style farms? I used to run 38 head on 200 acres. Grass fed, no antibiotics unless they were sIck, rotated my fields, fenced them out of creeks. Worked my *kitten* off and never came near to breaking even. You never get a vacation with cattle, something breaks every 3rd day. Wonder why there are few farmers? Cause farming sucks. Hard physical labor and very little to show for it. Farming looks very romantic unless you are the poor *kitten* doing it.
    TRUE TRUE!! You are "married" to the cows. They can't take care of themselves.
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Whey is just a leftover in many dairy foods...if "pink slime" is just lean protein, why would I really care?

Hey! Take your logic and GTFO. We're trying to scare people out of eating delicious burgers here!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Does it bother anyone here how these animals are raised and why they need an ammonia bath? This meat isn't coming from sustainable farms, and it's not coming from healthy cows. The antibiotics needed to keep the animals alive do affect you when you eat it.

This x10. I don't eat beef or chicken or pork - and it isn't cuz I feel bad for the animals. I don't care about their feelings. I think the conditions they live in are disgusting and I don't want to put that in my mouth. Imagine someone took a dump on your carrots, washed it off with bleach, and gave it back to you. Blegh. Pass on that. At least I can buy my veggies from a farmer's market or farm stand where I know what the processing is like. I'm surprised more people aren't disgusted by how dirty their food is. To each their own I guess.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    The meat is washed to prevent contamination that can occur during processing. Processing at the scale needed to feed 300
    Million people is not necessarily as careful as processing a single animal for your family. This helps keep the safety at the levels required.

The antibiotics is getting a bit off topic, but when I was a kid we raised our own meat and even at low single family production levels - a periodic shot of an antibiotic like combiotic was regularly needed for their health. And human use, especially improper consumer driven use ("I don't care if they say I have a virus - I need antibiotics!") misuse ("I feel fine so I'm stopping taking them"), and overuse (toothpaste, soap, etc) of antibiotics surely has a much greater influence on the efficacy of antibiotics than incidental use in our food chain.

Grain-fed cows in confined animal feeding operations are given antibiotics because they get sick from being fed grain. Cows are natural grass-eaters. When you pump them full of grain, they get sick and become infected with e coli. Their bodies can't break down high-starch diets. When you have a lot of e coli infected beef, you need to clean it. That's what's happening at those processing plants, because antibiotics aren't working well enough. The antibiotics issue is finally being addressed by the FDA (because it's a real issue):

http://www.farmanddairy.com/news/fda-changes-stance-antibiotic-use-food-producing-animals/168853.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fda-changes-stance-antibiotic-use-food-producing-animals

Cattle CAN get sick from being switched too quickly from a low energy source of food (grass) to a high energy source (grain) if it is done too quickly. This has been known for many years, and farmers have a protocol they use to minimize this effect. I believe the antibiotics are probably used in cattle like they have been in people - more often than needed. This has definitely contributed to the development of resistant micro-organisms.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Imagine someone took a dump on your carrots, washed it off with bleach, and gave it back to you. Blegh. Pass on that. At least I can buy my veggies from a farmer's market or farm stand where I know what the processing is like.

Imagine someone gathered up a bunch of animal poop, threw it into a pile, added some vegetable leftovers to it, maybe some insects, and left this mess to rot for a couple months - then _grew_ carrots in this?!?!

Oh wait. That's pretty normal.

Actually you pay more for that. The cheap produce gets nice clean chemical fertilizer. :drinker:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Imagine someone took a dump on your carrots, washed it off with bleach, and gave it back to you. Blegh. Pass on that. At least I can buy my veggies from a farmer's market or farm stand where I know what the processing is like.

Imagine someone gathered up a bunch of animal poop, threw it into a pile, added some vegetable leftovers to it, maybe some insects, and left this mess to rot for a couple months - then _grew_ carrots in this?!?!

Oh wait. That's pretty normal.

Actually you pay more for that. The cheap produce gets nice clean chemical fertilizer. :drinker:

Heheh. Nice way to turn it around.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Connective tissue is loaded with glucosamine and chondroitin. Pink slime is extremely nutritious. Why do we have factory style farms? I used to run 38 head on 200 acres. Grass fed, no antibiotics unless they were sIck, rotated my fields, fenced them out of creeks. Worked my *kitten* off and never came near to breaking even. You never get a vacation with cattle, something breaks every 3rd day. Wonder why there are few farmers? Cause farming sucks. Hard physical labor and very little to show for it. Farming looks very romantic unless you are the poor *kitten* doing it.

Some sustainable farmers have been successful. Farming is very, very difficult ... I've heard that from farmers. I've seen it in person. So, what we could do is rely less on cows. Since learning more and more about the problems of corporate factory farming, I've reduced my intake of beef. We just don't need that much of it.

People on here act like when you talk about this stuff, you're trying to scare-monger and make them feel bad. Yeah, I get that attitude. People don't want to have to change because it's hard to research what's responsible food, it's more expensive to buy that food, and it's easy to eat fast food and whatever's on sale at the grocery store. And, if you're trying to get people to make real change, they're going to resent you because you're going to make their life harder. So, I guess it's easier to just avoid the whole issue and act like there aren't alternatives to our current food system. One big problem with avoidance is that one day it could hit us right in the face. And, really it already is, because our current system relies heavily on petroleum to fuel the system to make the food and transport the food. As oil prices soar, so does the price of food. We could tackle the whole issue, but that won't happen until people accept that there's an issue to consider.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    American Meat Institute? Pfft. Not as trusted as the folks from Bovine University

BovineUniversity.jpg

lulz, post of the thread!

"Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If that cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about."
  • liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    "Let others complain that our age is evil; my complaint is that it is paltry." Soren Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    "Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If that cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    This is why I am so glad I live in Canada, not only that I live in northern Alberta surrounded by many hutterite colonies. Today I took the hour drive and got chicken and beef...and it actually tastes like chicken and beef. And when I cooked it..it didn't shrivel to 1/4 its uncooked size. Also it was nice to see the animals actually being raised and cared for instead of just produced for food. Cows were grazing, chickens clucking...none standing in knee deep feces.

Its disgusting what the food industry does to food that it sells in mass qty's ...its basically not even real food anymore once they are done modifying it to grow faster and larger. Bleh!

I have no problem paying higher prices for better quality food.

I hope all Canadians are not this ignorant
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    While I'm dubious of the pink slime bashing, screw supermarket meat. I'll stick to my annual half-a-beast order from the farm down the road. They use the trimmings, too, but for sausages. The ground meat is whatever cut I ask them to use . I can even keep the fat for rendering "dripping" and the dogs get a year's supply of bones :D All from one animal and it's cheaper, too. I'm honestly surprised more people don't bulk order beef.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    This is why I am so glad I live in Canada, not only that I live in northern Alberta surrounded by many hutterite colonies. Today I took the hour drive and got chicken and beef...and it actually tastes like chicken and beef. And when I cooked it..it didn't shrivel to 1/4 its uncooked size. Also it was nice to see the animals actually being raised and cared for instead of just produced for food. Cows were grazing, chickens clucking...none standing in knee deep feces.

Its disgusting what the food industry does to food that it sells in mass qty's ...its basically not even real food anymore once they are done modifying it to grow faster and larger. Bleh!

Wha? do you know even what I was referring to? There are way different processes that are done in the fast food industry in Canada. There is no ammonia treated beef. That is all I was referring to. Not sure why your upset.

Upset? Not so much. Simply amused.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Thread
    Needs
    Gifs

the+pink+slime.gif
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    43727212.jpg
  • BeachIron
    Options

Wha? do you know even what I was referring to? There are way different processes that are done in the fast food industry in Canada. There is no ammonia treated beef. That is all I was referring to. Not sure why your upset.

? you called me ignorant I fail to see why? Others have stated the exact things I have being happy to have local farm fresh meats available to buy. And yes I do feel glad that in Canada it has not been approved to use this additive.

Your statements are uninformed, characteristically arrogant, and bordering on the xenophobic. I'll stick with "ignorant."
  • BeachIron
    Options

? you called me ignorant I fail to see why? Others have stated the exact things I have being happy to have local farm fresh meats available to buy. And yes I do feel glad that in Canada it has not been approved to use this additive.

Your statements are uninformed, characteristically arrogant, and bordering on the xenophobic. I'll stick with "ignorant."

Please elaborate... back it up! How am I uninformed? Arrogant? and state how you can speak for me and suggest I have fears towards food? I have prefrences .... You know what forget it, your the one name calling...not me. I think that speaks for itself.

Get professional help
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the two of you are arguing about, but ammonia-treated beef is in fact not legal in Canada.