Cooking Eggs in Bacon fat...is that really bad?

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Eggs in bacon grease are soooooo good.

Slightly OT, but relevant nonetheless, I sometimes make what I call a "good morning burger":

fry 2 strips of bacon
    Fry a lean beef patty in the bacon grease
    Sautee onions with the burger
    Cook an egg in whatever grease is still in the pan
    Top with cheese
    Stack all up on an English muffin
    Add ketchup. Only ketchup.

It's one of my post-workout go-to meals on days when I hit the gym after work. On days I plan to eat that, I get most of my fruits and veggies in with breakfast and lunch.

Doin_doin.gif
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    I just soak up most of grease before just leaving enough to coat the pan like you would with oil.

I just soak up most of the grease with a slice of bread and eat it. :drinker: (where is the smiley with bacon?)

Well, occasionally I really do this. Most of the time I just save the grease in a tub in the refrigerator to use in cooking (and baking--it's great as a replacement for vegetable oil in bread).
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    I wasn't hungry but just reading the title of this thread has derailed me, someone delete this thread or put kale in the title!

When I braise kale, I add strips of bacon to make tastier 'pot liquor'.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ok. There seems to be a consensus here that fat from bacon (red meat) is not a problem. Can anyone refer me to a reputable source? (Not that I don't think you all aren't reputable, but...you know..)
    This is what I've been taught all my life http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm (This may not be reputable but it is a good summary of commonly accepted teaching).
    It seems that no one here (or in other places I've read) thinks there is a problem with eating saturated fats and still trying be healthy. Are you guys really just suggesting moderation with saturated fats?
    And maybe cholesterol isn't a problem now but it could become one as we/you get older.
    I'm not saying I have a deep conviction about either side of the saturated fat discussion but I'm just wondering what I'm missing here that has caused so many people to go gung-ho over bacon, whole fat milk, butter and cheese.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily like greasy eggs, but I find the leftover fat from cooking bacon is just the right about for my eggs. I think if a meal fits your day and makes you feel good, enough energy and all that , go for it :smile:
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Ok. There seems to be a consensus here that fat from bacon (red meat) is not a problem. Can anyone refer me to a reputable source? (Not that I don't think you all aren't reputable, but...you know..)
    This is what I've been taught all my life http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm (This may not be reputable but it is a good summary of commonly accepted teaching).
    It seems that no one here (or in other places I've read) thinks there is a problem with eating saturated fats and still trying be healthy. Are you guys really just suggesting moderation with saturated fats?
    And maybe cholesterol isn't a problem now but it could become one as we/you get older.
    I'm not saying I have a deep conviction about either side of the saturated fat discussion but I'm just wondering what I'm missing here that has caused so many people to go gung-ho over bacon, whole fat milk, butter and cheese.

I don't have the source - but I can tell you cholesterol in your body comes from two sources - dietary cholesterol and manufactured cholesterol. Some people are exceptional at manufacturing and some are exceptional at using it from their diet. If you are a good manufacturer of cholesterol - they usually lower theirs best by cutting carbs (what it is made from) - if you are good at using it from your diet - low cholesterol diets work better. Unless you have high cholesterol - who cares. If you do - try cutting dietary sources, if that doesn't work - cut carbs. Again, and if you don't - who cares. Just eat.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Bacon makes everything better!
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options

You could start by looking at this talk by a cardiologist - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRe9z32NZHY - all about saturated fats.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Only one piece of bacon? That seems wrong.

FWIW, two eggs seems woefully inadequate as well.

I cram as much bacon into the pan as possible - usually 6 slices. I cook my 3 or 4 eggs in the same fat.

Pass on the toast/hashbrowns/misc starches.

In interesting stats, I've eaten roughly 75 pounds of bacon this year...and just take a look at my ticker...

Yes, but you are a probably quite a bit larger than the OP. Why do people insist on bragging about all the food they get to eat? :sad:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Great.

Now I want eggs cooked in bacon fat.

Me too..and I don't even eat meat!
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Thanks, that's helpful.

I don't have the source - but I can tell you cholesterol in your body comes from two sources - dietary cholesterol and manufactured cholesterol. Some people are exceptional at manufacturing and some are exceptional at using it from their diet. If you are a good manufacturer of cholesterol - they usually lower theirs best by cutting carbs (what it is made from) - if you are good at using it from your diet - low cholesterol diets work better. Unless you have high cholesterol - who cares. If you do - try cutting dietary sources, if that doesn't work - cut carbs. Again, and if you don't - who cares. Just eat.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Nope. Bacon is awesome. Just don't forget that the calories for one slice cooked of bacon does not include the calories from the rendered fat. The bacon grease needs to be counted separately.

I personally prepare my bacon in the microwave and cook the eggs in butter. Mmm... butter.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I think it is
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    XMSQ2Rn.jpg
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Great.

Now I want eggs cooked in bacon fat.

Me too..and I don't even eat meat!

Bacon - claiming vegetarians since Ancient China.

:wink:

OP - sounds delicious. I've never done it myself, but I do have a breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon at least three times a week.
  • mslee369
    Options
    Is there any other way to cook em? lol
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    How do you only eat one piece of bacon?! Omgoodness.. I have at least 2-3 strips or it's not even worth it lol And if I'm having bacon I always use some of the grease to cook my eggs in, I seriously doubt it's a substantial difference in calories or fat.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Should I stop with the bacon?

No. Never stop with the bacon and no bacon shaming. Bacon = good. Life without bacon is not worth living.

This. Exactly. Bacon is God's perfect food.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options

Slightly OT, but relevant nonetheless, I sometimes make what I call a "good morning burger":

fry 2 strips of bacon
    Top with cheese

It's one of my post-workout go-to meals on days when I hit the gym after work. On days I plan to eat that, I get most of my fruits and veggies in with breakfast and lunch.

Oh. My. Word. This sounds like heaven on a plate (although I might skip the ketchup).
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

fry 2 strips of bacon
    Top with cheese

This sounds good but i would have to skip the english muffin and have it on a lettuce wrap, add tomatoes.