Know how to lose it but no motivation to do it?

Options
Hey guys,
I am in serious need of some motivation - or someone else who is stuck like me!

I started MFP a while ago, but started using it in October 2013. I started at 191lbs at 5'7". Within a month, I had lost 6 pounds. Buttttt, I wasn't happy. I was staying under the 1700 some calories it required, but I was always hungry, and when I ate I felt like my food was always healthy bland stuff and had no flavor. So, after a month I went back to eating normally. I will say just in that month, my appetite started to shrink. So now, I eat whatever I want, but I don't eat nearly as much as I used to. I rarely even eat 3 meals a day, but when I eat I eat bigger portions or unhealthy food. I have kept off 5 of those 6 pounds I lost, so I didn't retreat back too far.

Its hard because I KNOW it works when I do it right. But I can't get into doing it. I am getting married in 1 year and 9 months. I am currently 186 pounds, and I would KILL to be 130. I feel like 140 is more of a realistic goal for my height and build. I looked almost too skinny when I was 130 in high school. So thats at least 46 pounds to go. Right now I don't have access to a gym, just a treadmill. So I can walk, run, swim, or ride my stationary bike. But I really don't have the time.

I KNOW how to fix this - but I could use someone whos either been through this or is going through it for some support!

:) cass

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    For losing weight, you don't HAVE to exercise. Sure it's great for you but calorie deficit=weight loss. Maintain your deficit and it will happen. You don't have to be restrictive with foods either. You can literally eat anything you want, as long as it fits within your calorie goal. Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    For losing weight, you don't HAVE to exercise. Sure it's great for you but calorie deficit=weight loss. Maintain your deficit and it will happen. You don't have to be restrictive with foods either. You can literally eat anything you want, as long as it fits within your calorie goal. Good luck!
    +1
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people fail 'cause they fall into the trap of thinking they need to live on rabbit food and run marathons to shift weight, but you really don't need to change your lifestyle all that much. If you do, you'll never stick to it.

Eat what you fancy, just be aware of calories going in. This means weighing food and not guessing, and logging every mouthful (you'd be surprised at how much things like milk in tea can add up to and the damage that can cause to your progress).

Just being aware of how much something "costs" in calories makes you make better choices, which may lead to you wanting to work out more to help earn calories that you can eat back, or might help you make different choices in terms of size of portions, or the food you pick.

It's just about changing habits, your body will soon get used to smaller portions or having treats less often etc, it just takes breaking your current cycle and forming new habits, which can feel tough at first but it becomes a lifestyle rather than a fad over time.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    well when your wedding is an unbelievable 21 months away. (never heard of planning something that far in the future)

you lack motivation from that........and will until it gets close........if its still there next yr......

This.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Go and grab yourself a burger!!!
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Do not look at it as a diet but a way to enjoy food in an informed way .Soon enough you will make choices and notice the foods that keep your tummy full and happy .Protein in every meal I eat helps me feel satiated much longer,Enjoy one day a week when you can have a really special treat but count it in your day .Best of luck
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Within a month, I had lost 6 pounds.

That's quite a rapid reduction, but not uncommon initially. However, as you then describe probably not a sustainable rate.
    I was staying under the 1700 some calories it required, but I was always hungry

that may be related to the fairly aggressive rate of reduction. I found this myself earlier in the year, my target energy intake was too low and I wasn't really funcitoning as I was hungry. I reduced my loss rate objectives, and thought more about what I actually wanted to achieve, so my objectives became more performance related than weight related.
    and when I ate I felt like my food was always healthy bland stuff and had no flavor.

This would suggest that your choices aren't working for you, so again unsustainable. Packaged "low calorie" foods do tend to taste quite bland, but there is no need to eat food you don't like. As you observe, just eat what you enjoy, but less of it.

It's very easy to cook tasty and nutritious food that's healthy and appetising.
    I am getting married in 1 year and 9 months. I am currently 186 pounds, and I would KILL to be 130. I feel like 140 is more of a realistic goal for my height and build.

You need to pick out some intermediate objectives, less about being weight related; dress size, running or riding performance etc.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've always known the science but the motivation and correct mindset had been missing for many years. Best i can do you motivate you is tell you to do something NOW! Why? Because if you don't your weight will creep up and up and then instead of looking to lose 50lbs, you'll potentially be like I was 9 months ago and looking to lose 150lbs! And that is a scary prospect and very daunting, believe me.
  • sparkie791
    Options
    Muscle burns more calories. try adding some strength training to your weekly routines. I have started adding weights 3 times a week thanks to my son. He's the one person that I can't say no to. If you don't have time for the gym (totally understand) try just squeezing in 30 minutes a week(weights) to start. I make myself a checklist of what I'm going to do for the day. I haven't mastered actually hitting my goal every day. But my short term goals are only one day long and one week long.
    If I didn't make it to the gym on Wednesday... I try to not let it defeat me from getting there on Friday. My motivation is my health. I'm 226 and 5'5"... my Ideal weight is 140 but I'd be happy with 150. That's a really big number so I focus on loosing 1 lb per week. I've lost eight pounds in the last 3 months.
    Oddly enough stress seems to be my de-motivator. So I'm learning how to exercise that stress away instead of letting it eat me away with my health.
    Maybe loosing weight is the wrong motivation for you. try for your health, strength,...etc. Loosing weight is a byproduct of diet and exercise. Ask yourself why you do you really want to be healthy. whatever you choose make sure you are doing it for you and not to win someone else's praises.