Zumba was seeming undoable even though I love dancing

Options
I just entered my first exercise in My Fitness Pal. I was only able to do Zumba for about 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes my heart rate was feeling so high and my body was feeling so tired that I was yawning (for some reason I yawn once my body gets tired of working out whether at gym or during any workout). I am not sure if this is normal but Zumba was seeming undoable for next time even though I love to dance. Any tips??

Arpita

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    If you like it, then just keep going. Even if you have to duck out after twenty minutes. It's not my cup of tea, but you seem to get a pretty great burn doing it, so if you enjoy it, that's awesome. Eventually I'm sure you'll be able to stay longer.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not sure what basis your using for saying that Zumba is undoable
  • Matt24442
    Options
    my body yawns when i get tired too Arpita :flowerforyou: I also really like your name
  • arps2013
    Options
    Not sure what basis your using for saying that Zumba is undoable

I meant that in just 20 mins I was so tired that I had to sit down to lower my heart rate and my body was feeling so tired.....so I am thinking may be I cannot do it again as a workout (30-60 mins). I was doing Zumba because I love dancing so I was thinking to do it as an alternative to gym (I hate going to the gym), but looking at the way I felt today I am not sure if I can do it as a workout again that is 30-60 mins.
  • arps2013
    Options
    If you like it, then just keep going. Even if you have to duck out after twenty minutes. It's not my cup of tea, but you seem to get a pretty great burn doing it, so if you enjoy it, that's awesome. Eventually I'm sure you'll be able to stay longer.

Thanks!
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I feel totally uncoordinated doing Zumba but i love it lol. Just keep moving is my advice. If you can't do arms, hips and legs, just do legs. Focus on one part.
  • arps2013
    Options
    my body yawns when i get tired too Arpita :flowerforyou: I also really like your name

O really, I thought I was the only one...lol.... because when I tried to google if anybody else experiences the same but was unable to find any posts or articles.

Awwww, thanks for the compliments :happy:
  • fedupfatty86
    fedupfatty86 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Zumba! You really should take at least 3 classes before you give up on it. You may only be able to get in 20 mins to start off but if you keep going I guarantee you'll eventually build up the endurance to last through a 60 min class
  • arps2013
    Options
    Thanks JourneyingJes.....I am able to do legs, arms and hips at the same time so that's not an issue for me......I think I am just freaked out at how I got so tired so quickly.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Zumba! You really should take at least 3 classes before you give up on it. You may only be able to get in 20 mins to start off but if you keep going I guarantee you'll eventually build up the endurance to last through a 60 min class

I agree with this. It's just new for you to dance in that way for a steady amount of time without breaks probably. You may get used to it faster than you realize. Maybe you were just tired that day. Do what you can, take a break, take a sip of water. Try more. If you need to stop then stop. But go back again and you will continue to build your endurance and cardiovascular health.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you think that there's a medical issue on why you can't do cardio see your Dr.

Otherwise keep at it and you'll build up your stamina very quickly!
  • arps2013
    Options
    Thank you all! You guys are right....endurance/stamina is the issue currently I think.....I will keep at it and hopefully I will build stamina to be able to do it longer and longer everytime.

Thanks,

Arpita
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Your weight may be a factor, but there are some heavy gals in my Zumba class. They just do what they can, and still love the dancing...and they don't give up! Believe me, it's not undoable. I'm 73, and do a Zumba class twice a week in addition to my other aerobics classes, plus a Zumba DVD on the weekends.
    I didn't start to exercise until I was 35, so you still have time!
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I work out with someone who yawns under extreme heart rate HIIT workouts! I think it is a body chemical response to stress of any type!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Zumba is one of the major cardio i do, because i love dance too! In the begining i was able to do only 15-20 minutes myself:) I just added it in with walking. As i kept going, my endurance increased, and now i can easily sail through 60 minutes or maybe even more!
    I love going to the group class than doing at home though. At home, i will get easily bored and give up!
    Keep trying it! Any intense exercise is going to be tiring the first few times, you will get used to it! But take breaks in between, do some steps slowly , keep drinking little sips of water and stop if you are feeling uncomfortable!
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • arps2013
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouragement and great tips! Also, thank you for sharing your personal experiences. I will keep at it :happy:
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I start yawning when my body thinks it needs some extra oxygen coming in :) I agree with the person that said just start with legs and then add arms etc as you build up. It keeps your heart rate in a reasonable range when you start out. Don't be discouraged, just keep moving :)
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better...it took me 3 weeks to get through the Insanity warm-up without hitting the pause button and the first fit test made me feel like I was going to lose my lunch lol.

Keep after it. Stop when you need to. Hydrate! You will see results and feel so much better!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The first day I worked out, I puked afterward. The second day, I thought I was going to puke, but I didn't. But, on the third day, the endorphins kicked in and I was feeling GREAT! It was hard to do because I was uncoordinated, overweight, and bewildered that people can actually do the things Jillian was trying to make me do. Running mans kicked my butt, but I conquered them three weeks later!

Stick with it. Tell yourself you did 20 minutes, so today, you'll do 21 minutes. Tomorrow, 22. You can do it! In a few days, you won't be yawning because you will be eating better and the exercise will help you feel better.

You can do it!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it. You need to build endurance and the only way to build endurance is to continue doing the activity.