Atkins Sucess Stories

Options
2»

Replies

• chaychay48
    chaychay48 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What I think that the naysayers don't take into account is that with any way of eating, if you go back to the way you were eating before, you're going to gain the weight back. I also think that they assume if you are eating low carb you are sitting around dipping your bacon into a tub of butter. I eat more vegetables now then I ever did before. I have a hard time hitting 1500 calories a day a lot of days despite trying to do so because I don't feel ravenous. How can one feel that eating a healthy amount of protein, a ton of vegetables, berries, and nuts is unhealthy and not sustainable?
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What I think that the naysayers don't take into account is that with any way of eating, if you go back to the way you were eating before, you're going to gain the weight back. I also think that they assume if you are eating low carb you are sitting around dipping your bacon into a tub of butter. I eat more vegetables now then I ever did before. I have a hard time hitting 1500 calories a day a lot of days despite trying to do so because I don't feel ravenous. How can one feel that eating a healthy amount of protein, a ton of vegetables, berries, and nuts is unhealthy and not sustainable?

Exactly! I lost 50 pounds on Atkins in 2003 and gained back not all of it very slowly because in recent years I ate like a pig. Research has consistently shown that Atkins is a very successful weight loss program and people don't gain it back any faster than any other diet when they start eating the way they did before they lost weight. Also people think of Atkins like a full-blown fat feast with no fruit or veggies which it isn't. The first 2 weeks is more restrictive but you still eat plenty of veggies even then.
  • chaychay48
    chaychay48 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Plus, if your do the Atkins way the right way, you eventually add in fruits and even grains *gasp*!! What?? grains?? Yup that's right, grains, in an amount that works with your body and your weight loss goals. I feel that those that talk down about it dont look into it enough and just jump to conclusions.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I rather eat everything in moderation, but hey what do I know. :laugh:
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins years ago. It is a diet. That is exactly why I would never do it again. My belief is that we shouldn't diet. We should eat healthy and make it a lifestyle. Grains are GOOD FOR YOU! I eat very healthy now and enjoy my food. Of course I like everything so that opens a lot of doors for me in menu planning.
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did great on Atkins until I got addicted to Atkins bars, shakes.. etc.. then I just abused those foods like I did candy /junk previously (suddenly everything I wanted had sugar alcohol)

Had to deal with binging and then could do low carb correctly. It does work, but for me my character/behaviors had to change
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    on atkins and so far so good. It works for me .
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Following DANDR and down 201lbs since August 27th 2013.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    My brother lost weight on Atkins, around 70lbs. He has maintained it for over a year now. I would post pictures but he probably wouldn't appreciate me doing that.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    On Atkins and have lost 60 pounds in 5 months. This is not a diet, it's a lifestyle. You need to work crabs back into your diet before the maintenance faze. I sometimes eat over 50 g of carbs a day and still maintain ketosis. I cheat every once in a while with a high carb meal, but ensure I get back on track the next day. I have had great results and this is totally sustainable as a lifestyle.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I started out and lost the first 30 from Atkins - I started two years ago and have kept at it, and adapted the atkins to a way of eating and lifestyle that works for me - only worked for me 'cause you have to cut back/out junk food... lots of salads, I think the amount of weight you lose in the first 2 weeks (water weight) is very motivating and then it led to another form of just watching what I eat and everything.

I would never be able to stick with atkins for life 'cuase no bread or junk food or beer would be impossible - but cutting it out and going through induction and following the book led to me adapting and finding ways to eat that fit in the long run ... It all comes down to healthy eating though and being able to stick to something... and experiment and find out what you can fit into your life I think at least

I hope that helps and makes some sense? I consider my atkins trial a success - but eating that way and being social forever wouldn't work for me - and it also woudn't have worked if I tried it for a year and went straight back to the junk :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!