still have flabby arms...to keep lifting or not?

Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for a little over a year now, and my arms are still flabby because I still have a lot of fat to lose. Don't stop lifting, you won't regret it.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    OP, give it 3-6 months of progressively heavier/harder resistance training along with your weight loss or maintenance program. De-flabbifying arms can take a while.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Patience my dear...3 weeks is not anywhere near enough time to give you the results you want. Also, if you're like me, there is still some fat in your upper arms so until you get rid of that, the skin's not going to fully retract. Trust me though, in time, if you keep doing things right, you will see results.

Make sure you're eating enough protein (if using MFP numbers, feel free to go over unless you have kidney issues), stay well hydrated, and keep challenging those muscles by increasing the weight.

Best of luck!

This. And best wishes for success.
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    So I've read a ton on here about how girls should lift and lift heavy because it will help them "sculpt" their body and achieve the sleek slender look. I've been lifting for about 3 weeks and I can see muscle definition in my arms especially when I lift or push stuff at work. But my arms are still flabby as ever! They are the worst part of my body by far and I totally hate them. My question Is should I stop lifting and do more cardio? I already do a decent amount. 45 min at least 5x a week, but my arms will just not budge they are not sightly at all. I don't want lignite to cause me to have bigger arms. In fact I want the opposite effect.
    Any help is appreciated
    Thanks!

Everyones body is different. Unfortunately for me, one of the first places I loose weight is my feet. Yup my feet. So I either have to tie my shoes really tight or get smaller shoes. Anyway, one of the last places my body loses body fat is my stomach (abs). Its just the way my body works. From what I have read the area on your arm that you described is similar to the abs on my body. It might be the last place on your body that you will see all the results you have been looking for.

So, if you are seeing results other places keep doing what you are doing and the arms will eventually get there.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Think about this practically. Flab is either fat you still have, or loose skin. Working out develops muscle only. So you either need surgery to remove the excess skin, or you need to diet more to where you're at a bodyfat% that you want.

Also 3 weeks isn't enough time for ANYTHING to happen. Think more in terms of months.. like 6 months, or maybe even a year or so depending on your goals. If it happened that quickly ****, everyone would look much better. Whatever definition you see right now is either from muscle pump right after your workout, fat loss, or it's just between ur ears.

If you're going to take the time to exercise, you should take the time to learn a bit about it so you don't sweat things like this. I highly recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great book on the fundamentals, and a quick read.
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    1.) lifting does not make you sleek and slender.. it gives you muscle definition- it will improve on what you have- but it won't magically make you a gazelle when you are a dolphin. (not commentary on your specific shape- just generic thing)

2.) STOPPING lifting is rarely the answer.

3.) MORE cardio- is rarely the answer

4.) 3 weeks is a tear drop in the ocean.

5.) get your diet right- eat protein- lift HEAVY.

6.) HEAVY = rep range- not a weight (so between 5-8 in this case- if you can physically lift the weight 10+ times- it's WAY to light)

7.) LATHER RINSE REPEAT

BEST ANSWER OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jamicroslow
    jamicroslow Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Keep on lifting! Strength training aligned with cardio and healthy eating is the way to go! I have found that water aerobics, P90X, and cardio kickboxking are killer for the arms (and you get some nice cardio in there as well!)
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You have to give it time... consistency and patience.
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting (HEAVY) regularly for over a year and have been on a deficit for the most part. Focusing on fats. proteins and eating low carb. I started out with severe jiggly arms and now they hardly jiggle at all. My arms are smaller and fit into M's again (used to buy XL because of my arms)

It takes time and patience.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    1.) lifting does not make you sleek and slender.. it gives you muscle definition- it will improve on what you have- but it won't magically make you a gazelle when you are a dolphin. (not commentary on your specific shape- just generic thing)

6.) HEAVY = rep range- not a weight (so between 5-8 in this case- if you can physically lift the weight 10+ times- it's WAY to light)

7.) LATHER RINSE REPEAT

BEST ANSWER OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree! My arms are pretty badass (in my own opinion and yes I am tooting my own horn) but they will forever be a work in progress. The above post is EXACTLY what you need to read and understand.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Have you heard about these new crazy Wrap things? They are amazing. We used to think that the only way to get rid of loose skin was expensive surgery well not anymore. If you want to Strengthen, Tone and Firm your skin checkout it Works wraps. Here is a website you can check out alepena.myitworks.com. It's all botanical ingredients and now affordable to everyone not just famous people.
    I have a picture of my cousin if you want to see her amazing results email me to ajpena10@yahoo.com, I tried posting it here but I don't know how sorry.

1: Quit spamming

2: These wraps don't work!!!

3: From experience, and over $200 down the toilet, they don't work!!!

4: Tried every brand, and they don't work!!!

5: Some people I know have lost a few inches using these wraps. It was likely due to lost water retention, because they tell you to drink LOTS of water...so once again...these wraps don't work!!!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Think about this practically. Flab is either fat you still have, or loose skin. Working out develops muscle only. So you either need surgery to remove the excess skin, or you need to diet more to where you're at a bodyfat% that you want.

Also 3 weeks isn't enough time for ANYTHING to happen. Think more in terms of months.. like 6 months, or maybe even a year or so depending on your goals. If it happened that quickly ****, everyone would look much better. Whatever definition you see right now is either from muscle pump right after your workout, fat loss, or it's just between ur ears.

If you're going to take the time to exercise, you should take the time to learn a bit about it so you don't sweat things like this. I highly recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great book on the fundamentals, and a quick read.

^^^This! New Rules is amazing!!!! Highly recommend!!! :D
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

7.) LATHER RINSE REPEAT

Ditto.

I've been lifting for oh about 104 weeks and I still have flab. My loosey goosey diet is the culprit.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You are worried about your arms getting big...
    How much muscle can you expect to gain naturally in a year?
    I went over to Scooby Workshop, and tried to get an idea of what kind of muscle gain you might be able to expect. I had to take some guesses, such as your height (5'6") and that you eat 3 meals a day. I gave you 2-3 hrs of serious weight lifting per week (It is the lowest setting), under 2 years of lifting, and average genetics.

Results for the end of your first year:
    Muscle gain from "newbie effect": 2.6lbs
    Ordinary muscle gain: 4.6 lbs
    Total gained over your whole body, upping your lean body mass (cutting your body fat %): 9.1 lbs (0.76lbs/month)
    So, picture 3/4lb of steak. Now think how thin you have to slice that to cover your body with it.

By changing it to strict body building nutrition, natural gainer, 5-7hrs of hard core body building per week, I got it up to 21.0lbs of muscle added in a year. 1.75lbs per month. Still not a lot of steak.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/muscle-gain-calculator/
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Have you heard about these new crazy Wrap things? They are amazing. We used to think that the only way to get rid of loose skin was expensive surgery well not anymore. If you want to Strengthen, Tone and Firm your skin checkout it Works wraps. Here is a website you can check out alepena.myitworks.com. It's all botanical ingredients and now affordable to everyone not just famous people.
    I have a picture of my cousin if you want to see her amazing results email me to ajpena10@yahoo.com, I tried posting it here but I don't know how sorry.

Reported.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

I did New Rules of Lifting for Women and followed their Facebook page. They have a newer book called New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. On their Facebook page they were saying that it was a better book with updated information, and you can mix and match exercises. There's a group here (NROL4W) if you're interested. They cover both books.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options

1: Quit spamming

2: These wraps don't work!!!

3: From experience, and over $200 down the toilet, they don't work!!!

4: Tried every brand, and they don't work!!!

5: Some people I know have lost a few inches using these wraps. It was likely due to lost water retention, because they tell you to drink LOTS of water...so once again...these wraps don't work!!!

They work great... for a day or three. So, the night before the prom, wedding, romantic weekend, boudoir photo-shoot, great!
    You will be right back to were you were in 1/2 a week.
    Think of it like having a pro do your make-up for the big day. It is touch up, make me pretty for the day, magic.
    If you want more than that, hit the gym.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

I did New Rules of Lifting for Women and followed their Facebook page. They have a newer book called New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. On their Facebook page they were saying that it was a better book with updated information, and you can mix and match exercises. There's a group here (NROL4W) if you're interested. They cover both books.

No doubt (not that I've read it) but what information could they have updated exactly?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting....it takes time!!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

No doubt (not that I've read it) but what information could they have updated exactly?

It was explained, but I don't remember. I haven't read it, either. I went on to All Pro from there. I found this comment made by a group member.
    I started it this week and I like it. I feel like it's more dynamic than the other books. There are no set "rest" periods and you try to keep moving through the entire time. I like how it is more updated and things like crunches are now history (trust me, holding a plank while doing a row at the cable machine will work your core!). There are basic movements, and you pick which level you want in those movements. Lou suggests starting at level 1, even if you have lifted before. It actually feels good to switch from deadlifts and squats (which I love) to different movements. The programs are still challenging for those who completed NROL4W (even twice!).

I really think this book is more for those who have completed one of his other books in that, this book really doesn't cover much about nutrition or persuasion to lift fluff. It almost felt a bit wishy-washy in that area because Lou seemed to say anything goes as long as you eat protein and eat enough.