Serves 4

Ingredients
2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes
1 can light coconut milk
1 tsp (or to taste) garam masala
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake sweet potatoes for 45 - 60 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
2. Once the potatoes are cool, peel and blend in a food processor or high-speed blender with remaining ingredients, adding a little coconut milk at a time until desired consistency is met.
3. Season to taste.

Nutritional Info - per serving:
Calories - 147 calories
Carbs - 90
Fat - 21
Protein - 11

Replies

• o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try it! Thank you for posting it
  • abeautifulvoice
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes and would have NEVER thought of making it into a soup. Thank you for the recipe, I am definitely going to have to try it now! =)
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    Mmmmm <<bump>>
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Ok, need assistance....what is Garam Masala and where do you get it?
    Secondly, what can you substitiute for the cocunut milk and still keep the cals low? I am highly allergic to coconut anything but this soup sounds great since I love Sweet Potatoes.

Thanks,
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wow, this sounds so yummy! Thx for the recipe!
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    Are you actually using Sweet Potatoes or Yams???
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Secondly, what can you substitiute for the cocunut milk and still keep the cals low? I am highly allergic to coconut anything but this soup sounds great since I love Sweet Potatoes.

Thanks,

Garam Masala is a spice mix/paste. You can find it in the Asian area of your grocery store, maybe. Depends on how specialized it is. Or if you have an Asian foodstore that does Indian food as well, you could try there, or there are probably recipes online you could try. It's found in Indian cuisine..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala

As for the coconut milk, I would try something else that was creamy and sweetish, like almond milk.
  • tdulee
    Options
    Garam Masala which literally means hot (Garam) spice (Masala) is not an spice in itself. It is a spice blend used throughout India and the rest of the Indian Subcontinent.

This special blend of spice is used in a small quantity at the end of cooking or fried in the beginning of cooking to add a subtle flavor to the cooked dish. Please note, garam masala must be added in small quantities, or else it will overpower the dish.

Many different kind of Garam Masala is found depending on the region and the personal taste. Garam Masala can be found easily in international section of any big groceries store in west or in any Indian or South Asian shops. The most common way of making Garam Masala is given below.

Ingredient

30 green cardamom pods
    15 cloves (laung)
    5 black cardamom pods
    4 pieces mace
    4 pieces cinnamon (2.5 squared cm)(dalchini)
    5 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
    2 tbsp coriander seeds (dhaniya)
    1 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
    1 tsp black peppercorns
    1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)

(each spices can be customized to suit your flavors)

Preparation

Place all the spices in a dry-frying pan or skillet and heat over a very low heat, stirring constantly. As soon as the aroma from the spices begins, remove the pan from the heat. This step is to release the aromatic oils from the spices.
    Working with only a small quantity at a time, put the spices in an electric blender to grind it to a fine powder. Remove the cardamom pod skins. Allow to cool.
    Store the Garam Masala in an air-tight container. As long as the container is tightly closed after each use, it should last for a long time.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    How much is per serving?
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Thanks,

I buy my Garam Masala at a local bulk food store. Instead of the coconut milk you could replace it with something else that is creamy & sweet like almond milk. Or you might want to add some chicken or veggie stock ... it wouldn't taste the same but it would help to get it to the right consistency.
  • cattiemac
    Options
    Are you actually using Sweet Potatoes or Yams???

I used sweet potatoes but you could substitute yams as well.
  • cattiemac
    Options
    How much is per serving?

A serving is 1/4th of the recipe. For me it came out to be about 1 1/2 cups but it varies depending on the size of your potatoes and how much coconut milk you used.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    ok, thanks. :)
  • LuckySue333
    Options
    Sounds good... I love sweet potatoes so I am sure this will be a big hit with me... Thanks for receipe...
  • LuckySue333
    Options
    Sounds good... I love sweet potatoes so I am sure this will be a big hit with me... Thanks for receipe...