What exercises shed the most pounds?

Options
What is working for you as far as exercise? How much and how often do you work out?

Replies

• greginnd
    greginnd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been strength training since May and haven't really lost any weight. I started back running 3 miles a day last week and focussing on counting calories and am now down 8 pounds in about 1.5 weeks. I know it's mostly water and that will slow down. But I think the cardio really really helps me.
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Jogging 3-4 times a week. Best exercise in my opinion.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    jum prope
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Fork put downs, table pushbacks and seconds-skipping.

They say weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise, and I've found it to be true.
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I mix up stength and cardio. I also keep trying to hit my caloric and macro goals.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

^This! Diet for weight loss, exercise for health. I've been weight lifting for 6 months and doing minor cardio but I wouldn't have lost a single pounds if I wasn't being consistent with logging my intake.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I do karate about 4 days a week, a ton of walking, and I try to incorporate jogging in there, too..
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It's all about diet.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I can beat any amount of exercise with food.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

this.

i gained 80 pounds all while consistently working out (running races, weight lifting, capoeira, kick boxing, etc) and eating "healthy"

if you're eating more food than you need then you'll gain weight. period. and exercise doesnt burn as many calories as you think it would. i still have quite a bit of weight to lose (50-60 pounds) and i have to workout like a rocky montage for 60 minutes to burn 600 calories. it's easier to get that deficit via fork put downs and table push backs
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree about diet. I remember one time I ran 10 miles, then realized I had just eaten that 1000 calories back with ONE pumpkin muffin and ONE latte from Panera. Ouch!

So far, I have to say MFP is really helping me. Logging calories every day I realize how much that darned eggnog adds up! I can eat either a big bowl of steamed broccoli and feel full or have one little bit of eggnog in my coffee (1/4 cup). Yikes!

Since I've been doing MFP (just 3 weeks), I've been doing more cardio like jogging instead of weights just because that gives me more calories burned so I can eat more! It has been working, about 1 lb a week loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. One could be perfect with exercise, but won't out exercise a calorie surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I like to keep things mixed up to keep things interesting and balanced. Circuit training REALLY burns those calories. I also use an incline treadmill trainer walking as fast as I can with sprints of running, and go from a -3% decline to a 40% incline. I ride bike, and swim when I can. I also do calisthenics (like push ups, sits up ect). I also love strength training, and am working towards heavy lifting as it really sculpts the bod. As far as workout time, when I started out a month ago it was around 20 minutes a clip @ 3 to 4 days/week to start building up endurance (being I work a desk job and have been sedentary for too long). Now I work out 30 to 100 min @ 4-5 times/wk. As for your question as to what exercise sheds the most pounds, I think it comes down to finding out what you like and being consistent. There is no quick fix. But the results of hard work and a healthier diet will be so worth it!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

^This! Diet for weight loss, exercise for health. I've been weight lifting for 6 months and doing minor cardio but I wouldn't have lost a single pounds if I wasn't being consistent with logging my intake.
    Yep. Calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for fitness.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

/thread
  • XjXannX
    XjXannX Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's going to be whatever you're actually going to do consistently
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

I'm not ashamed to admit it, in part I exercise to be able to eat more while still maintaining a deficit. It's not the only reason, but it's sure as hell part of it.

Yes, of course what matters is eating under your TDEE. But, let's face it, it's a whole lot easier to eat under a TDEE that is higher due to exercise. Especially for a long time.

You need to figure out your goals. My exercises of choice are: trail running and lifting. The fit in nicely with my goals of looking hawt, and having the strength and endurance for outdoor adventurcizing. But, I could burn 2500 calories by running a marathon, and eat 5000 and put on weight. I HAVE to track my calories accurately to lose, and eat less than my TDEE.

The best exercise for you to lose weight doing is the one that you do consistently.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    i walk a lot and jog
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Yep, the plate push. That's the best one.
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes to what was said re manage your food/cals, but to answer ur (?)

WATER AEROBICS is # 1 in my book, hands down. NOT just floating in the pool chatting tho--ask my pool mates that one!!;-)