no energy, at 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    1200 calories only works if you have a re-feed/cheat day one day a week. In my opinion, not saying that's scientifically true.

I eat about 1200-1300 calories during the week, but eat about 4000 calories on Saturday.

And I lose 1-2 pounds a week, depending on the week.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    OP never said she was breastfeeding...

I was waiting for someone to point this out! Wow, that took a while! :laugh:
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Hey here's a thought- maybe it's not diet related if it was okay before. Maybe it's post-partum depression. I had that, and I was eating just fine. I felt exactly the way OP describes feeling, it had nothing to do with my diet.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

No, we got it. We just figured there was a remote possibility it might be useful information to someone who was.
  • raegrove
    raegrove Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anywhere where she said she is breastfeeding...just that she has a baby. but upping her calories is probably a good suggestion. not sure why everyone has to be so harsh when saying that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    OP did not say she is NOT breastfeeding the baby either - so was reasonable to assume she could be and to give relevant information on that.

She may not have post natal depression either - but that was a reasonable suggestion too.

At any rate I think you should see a doctor OP -to eliminate reasons for this feeling that may not be diet related - post natal depression, thyroid issues etc - and perhaps get a guideline on how many calories would be best for your situation - I think it probably is more than 1200.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Hey here's a thought- maybe it's not diet related if it was okay before. Maybe it's post-partum depression. I had that, and I was eating just fine. I felt exactly the way OP describes feeling, it had nothing to do with my diet.
    Yes this. Or because it may be the SAD depression. you know it is a seasonal depression due to the cold a dark winter. Or just normal post-partum depression coz your life has changed radically within a year.

Anyway if you are breast-feeding up your calories
    if you are not breast-feeding still up your calories & in both cases take a babysitter once a week and go out!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

No, we got it. We just figured there was a remote possibility it might be useful information to someone who was.

Yup, I only pointed it out because that MarieAnne chick was stating it as fact that the OP was breastfeeding.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    After looking at OP's profile, I'm calling bull on this thread. OP joined in March, has no friends, no profile info and this is her first post? I've seen so many of these type of profiles start 1200 calories threads...starting to make me wonder what evil computer nerd figured out how to back date the "joined" date to create legitimate looking troll accounts.
  • xDawnsgrace
    Options
    You're starving yourself, and tired as a result?

Shocker.

What do you think the answer is?

And... seriously? Crash diet while breastfeeding?

Come on people.

how is 1200 calories a crash diet?

It's not. Doctors, dieticians and nutritionists recommend it all the time. I know lots of people that have been successful with 1200-1400 calories. I've only seen this phenomenon of 1200 calorie diet hating on MFP :laugh: So laughable.

But if the OP thinks she feels tired all the time, and is breastfeeding well then certainly she should add on 100-200 extra cals until she feels better and is still losing weight. This isn't a one-size-fits all sort of thing.

I agree with you, if OP is tired, then she needs to raise her calories. However, that brings me to my next point.
    ]It is, when your body is the sole source of nutrition for a whole other person growing at the fastest rate of its life. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to allocate an extra 600 calories when you're breastfeeding. For pete's sake, you're a *food factory*, of course you need more raw materials!

OP never stated she's breastfeeding, and though yes, raising a child while eating 1200 calories a day is not good, that doesn't make it a crash diet.

OP. I'd suggest you figure out your TDEE, and eat that minus ~10-15%, as you only have 10 pounds to lose. 1200 calories per day does NOT work for everyone. It works mainly for those of us who are short and have little to no exercise(and there are some pretty spectacular exceptions out there).
  • RhiannonBaugh
    RhiannonBaugh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    take a multivitamin
  • crystaldm11
    Options
    Um, who said anything about breastfeeding. My daughter is 14 months old
  • crystaldm11
    Options
    I sure hope not! But I've had my suspicions
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I know 1200 works for some people.

Personally has never worked for me. 5'2 @ 125lbs and cutting at 1800 calories. If I were to go lower than that I would really be cranky :noway:

This. I'm maybe a hair shy of 5' and I am HUNGRY with anything less than 1800-2000 calories a day. I don't get why someone would choose to eat 1200 when they can have success with so much more.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I only read the first page so apologies if I'm too repetitive :wink:

1- Definitely up your calories. I would say set to lose no more than one pound a week, maybe even half, for the first 3-6 months after having a baby. Also taking care of a baby means you aren't sedentary, so set it to lightly active or more. If you're breastfeeding, there are entries in the food database, use them and eat those calories (500 if ebf, 300 if the baby is eating solids). I'm 5'0, 128lbs, and losing weight eating 1800-2000 daily (I am also a mom, workout 2-3 times a week, just lifting - cardio as warmup only, and in my mid-30s). EDIT: I went back, and see you aren't bf and she's not a new baby. I would still say lightly-moderately active and lose only 1/2 to 1 pound per week considering you're about 20 lbs from goal. That should give you more calories right there.

2- While a lot of what you describe can definitely be because you aren't eating enough, it can also be symptoms of post-partum depression. This can kick in even a year after birth. So, if you up your calories and still feel like you have no energy, etc, talk to your OB of family doctor. It's nothing to play around with, for your health as well as your baby's!
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am 5'4 @ 163, no baby. When I started here a month or so ago, I kept my calories at around 1200. After seeing how that went, I adjusted my goals ect and am now at 1500+. Trial and error in finding balance. I am working out much more now, so I will be readjusting accordingly to 1800, than around 2000+ once I am into heavy lifting. Your not supposed to feel tired all the time, with no energy to leave the house, much less workout. So listen to your body hun. Oh, and I am still losing weight and inches.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Personally has never worked for me. 5'2 @ 125lbs and cutting at 1800 calories. If I were to go lower than that I would really be cranky :noway:

This. I'm maybe a hair shy of 5' and I am HUNGRY with anything less than 1800-2000 calories a day. I don't get why someone would choose to eat 1200 when they can have success with so much more.
    Because (1) not everyone can have success with 1800-2000, (2) some people want success faster than you, and lower IS faster and (3) there isn't really much evidence anywhere that 1200 is dangerous for anyone, which is why MFP uses it as a floor for everyone.

I'm not advocating 1200 for those who feel bad on it. I think the OP should simply eat more and see if it solves her issues. I don't lose energy at steeper deficits, I think most people don't, but who knows if that's her issue. The body gets energy from stored fat. Maybe her blood sugar is low? I don't know. But there's a very simple test to find out and it's a lot more accurate than asking here. Eat more for a week, see how you feel. Only way to tell.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options

Because (1) not everyone can have success with 1800-2000, (2) some people want success faster than you, and lower IS faster and (3) there isn't really much evidence anywhere that 1200 is dangerous for anyone, which is why MFP uses it as a floor for everyone.

I'm not advocating 1200 for those who feel bad on it. I think the OP should simply eat more and see if it solves her issues. I don't lose energy at steeper deficits, I think most people don't, but who knows if that's her issue. The body gets energy from stored fat. Maybe her blood sugar is low? I don't know. But there's a very simple test to find out and it's a lot more accurate than asking here. Eat more for a week, see how you feel. Only way to tell.

1) Most people can have success on far more than 1200 calories, how much more depends on the person. I didn't say that everyone can have success with 1800-2000 specifically.

2) I'm sure everyone wants instant success, no? Barring that I think whatever will actually lead to success in the long term is the appropriate rate and that will vary from person to person.

3) I never mentioned danger and "danger" isn't the only reason you'd want to avoid eating at the absolute minimum that might be medically permissible. How about quality of life? I wouldn't want to be tired, irritable, or avoid social situations because my 1200 calorie diet is getting in the way of life but maybe that's just me.

I'm quite certain that most people actually do lose energy the steeper their deficit is. Despite extracting energy from stored fat your blood sugar typically plummets when you're restricting your calories severely. When your blood sugar crashes you generally get hungry...I'd say that's most people and not the exception to the rule.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy to keep your blood sugar constant on 1200. It's all in what you eat, maybe. If I had to live on 1200 on restaurant and convenience foods, I think it'd feel it's starvation level, too. Pile up 1200 calories of produce and lean protein on the counter and look at it.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    5'3" 142lb's, and I eat 1,700-2,000+ cal's/day, depending on activity. I lose about 1lb/week, when I stick to my goal. I do Zumba about 3 x's/week, plus lift 2-3x's/week. I have a 2yo that keeps me pretty active, plus cooking, cleaning, and running errands, but other than that, I've typically been stuck at this stupid computer. Lol. Eat more!