Opinion on aerobic step?

Options
Someone recently told me that they do 30 minutes of aerobic steps everyday and that they love doing it and are seeing results.

I got interested and figured I'd look into it but am finding a lot of negative and possitive comments and peoples opinions and the benifits are all over the place and I can't get a clear opinion from someone who's done them before.

So, I figured I'd ask you guys.

Is getting an aerobic step worth it? and if so, what where your experiences on it?

Replies

• janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Using my aerobic step in front of the TV is about all the exercise I can do right now, since I'm recovering from shoulder surgery. I step up and down, do kicks in all directions, knee raises etc., and intersperse with crunches, lunges, and a few other similar exercises. I find it a good routine, especially since I can't work out my upper body yet. What I like about it is that 1) I can do it while recovering, 2) I can do it while watching TV, and 3) it's cheap and doesn't require me to think, buy expensive equipment, or go outside in the dark and the cold. I burn some calories, but probably no more than around 300 per hour in spite of MFP's estimate of around 600. I trust my BodyMedia armband, and that's what it says.

However, once I can use my shoulder some more, I'll definitely be upgrading my workout to do more resistance, more intensity and more variety.

Did you have any specific questions?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I pulled my step out and my old favorite Cher workout with Keli Roberts (A New Attitude), and it kicked my butt. I think it's a great exercise if you like that type of workout. I read that Gin Miller strengthened her knees using the step, so I thought about getting back into using it again. I need to get a sturdier step first. Add that to 3 days a week of strength training, and you'll be good to go!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I taught step aerobics years ago. It strengthened my knees to the point of being able to run again! It's great exercise, and lost of fun! Speaking of Gin Miller^ I learned a lot of her routines back then, but hadn't heard of her in years, then got a great Gin Miller kettlebell workout DVD for my birthday! She is still around and looking great!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    I just bought one of her DVD's, but I needed a weighted bar, and didn't have anything to substitute for it, so I haven't used it yet. I love her, she's hilarious!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I pulled my step out and my old favorite Cher workout with Keli Roberts (A New Attitude), and it kicked my butt. I think it's a great exercise if you like that type of workout. I read that Gin Miller strengthened her knees using the step, so I thought about getting back into using it again. I need to get a sturdier step first. Add that to 3 days a week of strength training, and you'll be good to go!

^^ Cher, Keli and Gin were my favorite workouts back in the day. The Gin Miller video is a classic and still a butt kicker. I was taking step up until a few years ago when my gyms phased it out. I only see the step used in bodypump now. Wish they would bring classes back.

To the OP, I can't imagine what is negative about it. I always found them to be a good cardio workout and fun.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I think one of the issues is that they're a bit old fashioned. I got a step for Christmas right after my first daughter was born in December 1993, and I was very successful at getting into shape with it along with a <30% fat diet... It was the fad at the time!
    I enjoy step aerobics because I have a dancing background and I'm good at choreography. If you think you'll enjoy it, do it! My Favourite was Cher:blushing:
  • Slrajr
    Options

^^ Cher, Keli and Gin were my favorite workouts back in the day. The Gin Miller video is a classic and still a butt kicker. I was taking step up until a few years ago when my gyms phased it out. I only see the step used in bodypump now. Wish they would bring classes back.

To the OP, I can't imagine what is negative about it. I always found them to be a good cardio workout and fun.

Now I want to see that Gin video:)
    We also used to set up out sound system and steps in public places to promote gyms back in the day:)
    Loved it:)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I am doing step aerobics when I can not get out for a walk or have only 30 mins of free time on a work/commuting day. My HRM shows I burn 200 cals in 30 mins. so an hr would be slightly higher than your est. and lower than MFP for me anyway. I watch tv while I do it or listen to my Shuffle 130 bpm mixes. I do other things to mix it up zumba, rock'n'roll dancing, long hikes when I can get into the mountains. Can't do just one thing all the time.

Oh my husband commented the other say the steps must be working my butt is getting firm again. I'll take that NSV.:laugh: :laugh:
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    We also used to set up out sound system and steps in public places to promote gyms back in the day:)
    [/quote]

Here's some highlights! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0L9jCDN8Bg The costumes were so much fun in these 90s videos. I also liked Kari Anderson.
  • Slrajr
    Options

Here's some highlights! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0L9jCDN8Bg The costumes were so much fun in these 90s videos. I also liked Kari Anderson.
    [/quote]

Love it!! Lol. Now I'm thinking of taking a class :)
    I have a friend who still teaches about a 45 minute drive from where I live:heart:
  • Slrajr
    Options
    I am doing step aerobics when I can not get out for a walk or have only 30 mins of free time on a work/commuting day. My HRM shows I burn 200 cals in 30 mins. so an hr would be slightly higher than your est. and lower than MFP for me anyway. I watch tv while I do it or listen to my Shuffle 130 bpm mixes. I do other things to mix it up zumba, rock'n'roll dancing, long hikes when I can get into the mountains. Can't do just one thing all the time.

Oh my husband commented the other say the steps must be working my butt is getting firm again. I'll take that NSV.:laugh: :laugh:

Go glutes!!
  • willrun4kona
    Options
    All movement is good movement. If it's something you enjoy, go for it.
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love step class. You can increase the aerobic c intensity even more using hand weights. It's great for the legs, too. I've been doing it for years, among other things of course, and never tire of it. A lot of gyms stopped offering it in lieu of other activities such as the new kettlebell craze, but many still offer it. You can do it at home, in the warmth of the house, without a major expenditure too. I'm all for it.

Note to CallMeCupCakeDammit (I don't know how to repy to her specific comment, sorry), If you need hand weights and don't have them, try using bottled water in a pinch! Works great.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    I absolutely love step class. You can increase the aerobic c intensity even more using hand weights. It's great for the legs, too. I've been doing it for years, among other things of course, and never tire of it. A lot of gyms stopped offering it in lieu of other activities such as the new kettlebell craze, but many still offer it. You can do it at home, in the warmth of the house, without a major expenditure too. I'm all for it.

Note to CallMeCupCakeDammit (I don't know how to repy to her specific comment, sorry), If you need hand weights and don't have them, try using bottled water in a pinch! Works great.

I have dumbbells, I don't have a barbell. The older Gin Miller video I have is her NewBody Workout (I can't see the video clip from my iPod), and the newer one I got recently is Simply Endurance, which is the one I needed the barbell for. My problem is I used to be a workout video junkie, and I have too much to choose from!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you want to do step, then do step. But remember, the person you are seeing results in has a calorie deficit. Diet for weight loss, exercise for health/fitness. If you are having reservations on whether or not you will like it, then go take a class. Some places offer a free class, or you can get a coupon for a free week pass at a gym and try out the step class before investing in the gear to do it.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I bought an aerobic step years ago. I use it for jump training also. Nothing fancy, just a little jumping.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I do step aerobic cardio about every 2 weeks to change up my cardio. I have one at home and pull it out and put on my favorite fast dance music and go at it on my own because I used to teach step aerobics so I already have some fun routines in my head. You can pull up youtube and look up step aerobics and there are some fun routines for free on there. It's a good cardio workout and a nice changeup to keep working out fun. I love mine. If you're going to buy one, find one that's adjustable height so you can start out low and add on if you want to go higher.