ladies time of the month qIuestions ? sorry gentleman

Options
How do you ladies handle the hunger during that lovely time of the month? Is it true you weigh more? WHY? do you guys weigh in during the time that aunt flow visits?

Replies

• onceagain555
    onceagain555 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ha ah ha! Funny you should say this! I was just beating myself up for some difficult cravings and perceived weight gain a few days ago. Then sure enough, aunt flow came! Still very bloated and feeling larger than life but I just tell myself to keep going with my workouts and forgive a little for any cheats.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I eat more. Normally eat back my exercise calories.

I found my weight & hunger level goes up during ovulation too. I use p-tracker (iPhone app) and track weight vs cycle.

Interestingly enough im down most often after my cycle. There's a day weight gain right before ovulation too. >.<
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How do you ladies handle the hunger during that lovely time of the month? Is it true you weigh more? WHY? do you guys weigh in during the time that aunt flow visits?

You weigh more because you retain water.
  • Schonprinzessin
    Schonprinzessin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You definitely weigh more because you become bloated. Also, your body is a lot more sensitive to cravings, similar to when you're pregnant. Don't try to kick a craving by having something else, that will make you want it more.
    Instead, if you're craving salty chips, have salty popcorn - if you're craving chocolate cake, have .... something with sugar that's not fatty, that's a tough one! hahaha!
    Your body is really good at knowing what it needs more of, if your brain is saying chips, what it really means is salt. Listen to it!
    EDIT
    And make sure to eat lots of iron-rich foods, blood has iron in it and we all know we lose a lot of that on the rag!
  • InfamousFox
    InfamousFox Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do weigh and I probably shouldn't, as it discourages me! I always gain a bit and lose it all within a few days. And I know this. But hormones make me weep over it and kick walls anyway. AND. I don't just get hungry. I get ravenous. For carby, nutrionless JUNK. Like french fries. And a whole chocolate cake!

No advice unfortunately, just saying I can relate! I have little will power in the face of cravings for junk when I'm emotional. I give in and eat the cake. There is good news though! I never retain the tiny bit I gain during this time. (of course I don't lose either. sad.)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You actually burn about 500 extra calories per day.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I can go up several pounds - and my hunger shoots through the roof. I try to stay under maintenance level calories instead of my weight loss calorie level to be able to tolerate myself. Then I always have a day where I dump the water and can't stay out of the bathroom. Then my weight is back to normal. It just is what it is. I don't fret if the scale scoots up a few for a few days.... Even that number is less and less. Try looking at your weight loss in reports and see the monthly spikes - and then pat them on the head and walk away.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even bother. I know I put on at least 10lbs during my last one, but once it was over, I went right back down.

I have what I am craving, but I try to keep it under control. I give myself some leeway during that time, I'm already miserable enough.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even bother. I know I put on at least 10lbs during my last one, but once it was over, I went right back down.

I have what I am craving, but I try to keep it under control. I give myself some leeway during that time, I'm already miserable enough.

This. Every word.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I might weigh more because I retain water but I also would love to know what the weight is for the week of stuff that comes out. I may be turning 50 in a few days but I swear I could still have a normal healthy baby if I wanted with no end in sight. It SUCKS! So - I have learned to have small portion controls of the things that I seem to have to have: dark chocolate and salty chips or popcorn. Something that has really helped to make those cravings oh so more managable is not eating extreme low fat anymore. I eat cheese, butter, avocados, and other nice sources of fat and many of my extreme cravings have gone. Don't yell at me - I'm following doctor's orders for the fat. And per my personal trainer, I eat at about 1900 to 2000 calories per day. I've found a lot of the extreme hunger during ovalation and later at flow time is gone. As far as weighing myself, I weigh on Friday no matter what. I have learned that the more I move, the less the weight up is and the faster if goes plus I have not as much bloat feeling and way less cramps. . I'll take less cramps any day. The one thing I must have is more sleep!
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I get cravings about 2 weeks out from my period, so I have to check my diary so I recognise its hormonal, I eat what I crave after a little while of trying not to, then I have just a little each day, usually its chocolate, so I can get the 80% Lindt that's ok on my LC diet. I usually get depressed around that time too so I try exercise more cos it helps. But yup I can weigh up to 5kg heavier starting from about a week before. Just be kind to yourself.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    44061656.jpg
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    44061656.jpg

Every 28 days or so since you were 12?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    44061656.jpg

Every 28 days or so since you were 12?

I can set my Timex by it.
  • ameltingprism
    Options
    The answer to your second question: You weigh more because you're retaining water.

I do not get my period often because I am so heavy but when I do, I take the weight gain VERY hard even though I know it isn't my fault.
  • squirrel1691
    Options
    Once a month, I devour a Herseys cookie and creme bar. My husband brings it to me in hopes that I won't murder him in his sleep or something.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^ this

and stop focusing on the scale so much. Weight gain from TOM is not fat gain. Your body composition does not change. You don't gain fat or lose lean tissue. You retain a little bit of water because of hormones. That's it. So many women have this mentality whereby they judge themselves and their whole life by a number on the scale. Really, it's not about that number on the scale. It should be about being healthy, and part of being healthy means having healthy body composition, which means having strong bones, strong muscles and a healthy body fat percentage. Part of being a woman means having a menstrual cycle, and that often causes changes in how much water the body's retaining, because your body's getting ready to possibly have a baby, so it's not really a small deal for your body. So really, weight gain during TOM is nothing to stress about at all, it's normal, healthy (and there's variation so it's normal and healthy not to see weight gain at that time too), and does not mean you're failing at dieting (or healthy lifestyle changes, or anything). It means your retaining a bit of extra water and your body composition is the same as always. And if you're striving to improve your body composition, ignore the water weight gain and carry on with the healthy lifestyle changes. Healthy lifestyle means looking after your mental health too, so keep reminding yourself of all this, and give yourself a break if you're having cravings... just find ways to fit them into your calorie goal, or if you're really more hungry than usual, eat at maintenance rather than a deficit for a couple of days. Doing so will not harm your long term progress, it might even help by making it all that much more sustainable.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    The hunger no longer bothers me at TOM cause I fast during it as well, so hunger to me is no new thing. As for gaining weight during... before starting fasting way of eating I used to put on a small amount (about 2kg) before hand & during. Now I put nothing on at all. I love that. I know it's got to do with my fasting lifestyle.... I'm not complaining.
  • vickylhutton
    vickylhutton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My weight during AF's visit fluctuates a lot more than a normal week but I just accept it for what it is as long as my weight is generally on a downward path I'm happy. With cravings I have what I want but in moderation. If I have a bad day so what I'm allowed to at this time of the month. Its not the easiest thing to go through every month especially when they are heavy, crampy and long. My worst craving days are the ones where I struggle to do a normal days routing ie school runs, cooking those are the days I eat loads or sleep loads. Your body goes through a lot and knows what it needs. Try and not look at the weeks weight look at what it is for the month.