Those who eat their calories and dont have a HRM

How much do you log your exercise calories as?

I don't follow machines because they're super exaggerated.
I also don't trust MFP's numbers.
So I always log 10 minutes under what my actual time was.
( IE. If I did 30 minutes on the elliptical I log 20, or 50 instead of 60, etc. )

What does everyone else do? Do you use actual times or underestimate?

I had some issues plateuing a few months ago on account of exercise calorie issues - and Im stuck again, so Im just curious.

Replies

• turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    I dont have a wrist hrm or a scale so I

I eat back 50% - 75% calories

and when I have bread I rip off one side of the crust
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Do you take the percentage off the machine? Or from MFP's estimate.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    I actually have a HRM. When I'm on a treadmill the only thing that I can punch in is my weight. The number of calories burned on the treadmill vs my hrm can range in difference 25-75 calories. That is over 60 minutes. So if for some reason you can't obtain a hrm--maybe keep doing what you are doing, or deduct 30 calories per half hour....but don't eat all your calories back. I would really invest in a hrm.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    I have a treadmill so when i'm on it it takes my heart rate and calories burned. Then I put down what I burn, on here. When I go walking outside I use MFP calculator.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    I don't have an HRM so I log what the cardio machines at the gym (Arc trainer and elliptical) determine according with my stats. For strength training, I log whatever MFP dictates.

Most of the times I only eat back between 50% and 75% of my calories, and so far it has worked for me. I am on maintenance for almost three years.

Just play around with the numbers/calories until you see what works better for you.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I actually have a HRM. When I'm on a treadmill the only thing that I can punch in is my weight. The number of calories burned on the treadmill vs my hrm can range in difference 25-75 calories. That is over 60 minutes. So if for some reason you can't obtain a hrm--maybe keep doing what you are doing, or deduct 30 calories per half hour....but don't eat all your calories back. I would really invest in a hrm.
    Just out of curiosity, what makes you think your HRM is the more accurate number, keeping in mind that the average margin of error for an HRM is 20%?
  • taz311
    taz311 Posts: 2 Member
    I use the RunKeeper app for tracking my Running progress so I use the calories it gives me based on my Time and Distance. I then use that Calorie number and plug it into my Diary in MFP Cardio Exercises as Running(jogging) 5 mph(12 min mile), which will show up in the search, and just adjust the minutes completed to match the Calorie number from Runkeeper. Hope that made sense :) If not let me know and I will try and explain it better....
    Hope that helps :)
    Mike
  • Makoce
    I don't have an HRM so I log what the cardio machines at the gym (Arc trainer and elliptical) determine according with my stats. For strength training, I log whatever MFP dictates.

Most of the times I only eat back between 50% and 75% of my calories, and so far it has worked for me. I am on maintenance for almost three years.

Just play around with the numbers/calories until you see what works better for you.

So pretty much what I am already doing.
    Alright, just wanted confirmation that I wasnt over-estimating still.
    Cause like I said it was a big issue in the past.

Now just to figure out why im stalling out .. as I religiously weigh everything I eat.
  • massromanticfool
    massromanticfool Posts: 34 Member
    Yeah, I usually either log in less time or change the amount of calories MFP says I burned (i.e. if it says I burned 300 calories, I'll change it to 250).
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Just out of curiosity, what makes you think your HRM is the more accurate number, keeping in mind that the average margin of error for an HRM is 20%?

Between the treadmill and the hrm--the hrm is always lower, so I just use rhe lower number. I typically don't eat all my calories back either.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Walking -> 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles walked
    Running -> 0.65 * body weight in pounds * miles run

"Random Exercise" -> 2.3 * body weight in pounds * minutes exerciesed/60 (This assumes being able to run 10km in one hour)
  • Makoce
    So I would use "Random Exercise" formula for the elliptical?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    So I would use "Random Exercise" formula for the elliptical?

I've never used an elliptical, so I can't say with certainty. But it's hard to imagine it wouldn't at least be in the ball park. That said, what limited research I've done on ellipticals suggests they burn considerably fewer calories than a treadmill, for the same distance. So YMMV....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    You could follow the TDEE (-15-20% for losing weight) method. Unlike MFP (which follows the NEAT method and is designed for its users to eat back their exercise calories), TDEE includes exercise calories. If you do this method, just log your exercise burns as 1 cal.

Do that for 4-8 weeks then adjust if necessary.

This calculator will allow you to choose the % loss and do the math for you: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • Makoce
    I get afraid of calculating TDEE because I dont have a set activity level.
    My exercise is off-routine and random at best.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I get afraid of calculating TDEE because I dont have a set activity level.
    My exercise is off-routine and random at best.

Well, then you have to just do some experimenting and self-adjusting. If you feel MFP's calorie burns are too high, -100 cals from the overall burn. Log that and do that for 4-6 weeks. If you find that it might still be too high, take off another -100 cals.

Even HRMs can be 30% off in their numbers. All this does is give you estimates. It's up to you to track and analyze the data and adjust as needed.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Before I switched to TDEE, I used this website for rough estimates: http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_calories_burned#.UrYz3_RDuSo

It calculates your burn based on your weight and height. I'm sure it's not perfect, but there's a large database of exercises and workouts, so at least you'll have a general idea.You can search for specific programs/dvds at the bottom of the page. I always rounded down depending on how much effort I felt like I put into the workout and then ate those calories back. It worked out pretty well. I'm sure you could do the same thing with MFP's database.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I use TDEE instead of worrying about daily exercise calories. It evens out over time and if you keep a spreadsheet and you're not losing over a month, you just adjust down on your food intake. Very simple.

I am also starting Eat to Peform, and many of them eat less on days they don't exercise. I'm not selling ETP but the point here is anyone can have one set of eating macros for your exercise days and one for your recovery days if you want.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    That's a great way of doing it I think, I normally just subtract 50-100 cals off. I used an app called RunKeeper that seemed more accurate than MFP, as the numbers were much lower, but it had issues connecting with MFP, so I got rid of it. I figure even IF I'm subtracting too much, I don't think it can hurt.

I don't follow machines because they're super exaggerated.
    I also don't trust MFP's numbers.
    So I always log 10 minutes under what my actual time was.
    ( IE. If I did 30 minutes on the elliptical I log 20, or 50 instead of 60, etc. )

What does everyone else do? Do you use actual times or underestimate?

I had some issues plateuing a few months ago on account of exercise calorie issues - and Im stuck again, so Im just curious.